Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #31
gta333
AF Newbie

Re: Replacing intake gasket...

Thanks for your replies. It looks like it is pressed into the housing with a O-ring. I just have to figure out how to get it disconnected. I will worry about the reconnect later as I might have to go to a dealer and get something else. Has anybody else run into this problem. Thanks gary
gta333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #32
pepi-v
AF Newbie

On mine, the heater nipple was pressed into that fitting. I had to squeeze the two plastic sides in on the clip, and it pops out then. I was informed that the old ones are a cheap pot metal that corrodes and breaks easy. The new replacement one is steel.
pepi-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #33
gta333
AF Newbie

Did you have to get a new piece that goes into the thermostat housing. If so is that a dealer item only. thanks for your help Gary
gta333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #34
pepi-v
AF Newbie

yes I got a new piece, from the dealer GM P/N 24503682 I beileve it goes for around $15-$18. The new one is a cad-plated gold color and is steel with a thread sealing compound on it already. It has the o-ring in it already so you won't need to replace that one, and a new black plastic clip that will slide onto the heater nipple. If needed I still have the old one, I could take a picture and post.
pepi-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #35
dedwinson
AF Newbie

I just did this job with the help of my brother in law this Saturday. Took about 6 hrs to complete. When I bought my '98 Lumina in 2000, the dealer replaced the intake gasket under warranty due to an oil leak. Now at 115K miles I did it again.

First off, get the Felpro gasket set, and it probably is the more expensive set. There are a few reasons. First, the gasket is a metal gasket with some sort of neoprene around the critical areas. Second, my brother-inlaw is a mechanic who has never had one return to the shop due to leaks using this gasket, and he has used it on his own cars as well.

The Felpro set comes with nearly every gasket and O-ring you need to do the job. We did have to go to the dealer on a quick run to get an O-ring for the press fitted heater tube, but that was only a buck.

We also used an RTV sealant that is used in the shop. Apparently is is much better than the stuff recommended.

Bottom line is there are no leaks, and car is running very very well. The big key here is to make sure all surfaces are clean as clean can be to ensure the gaskets and RTV get good bonding.

I was planning on doing this job by myself, but I am so glad I worked with a professional.
dedwinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #36
dedwinson
AF Newbie

That heater nipple is not on all cars. My Lumina didn't have one. Simply a tube with an O-ring press fit into the engine.

I did have a Corsica a number of years ago that had one of these nipples. I didn't acually replace the nipple, rather I did a hill-billy repair by taking out the old corroded one, running a tap in the threads to clean out the crumbled metal. I then used some plumbing connectors, braised on a cut off piece of the heater tubing, then connected the two tube ends with some hose and clamps. Worked super but I don't have the car anymore.
dedwinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #37
Dalt10
AF Newbie

I had Goodyear replace mine 2 years ago. It started doing it again lately. I can see it leaking at the right front of the lower intake. I'm going to do it myself this time.
Dalt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #38
teegolf
AF Newbie

Just completed this task and it was not too bad. Does anyone know the part number for the fuel inlet line at the fuel rail? I lost mine and have tried the will fits and it still leaks. Chevy dealer wants to hook me $40.00 to buy the whole steel tube with the o-ring, line and accumulator. Chevy dealer says you cannot get the o-ring seperate. I see some on here talking about a $8.00 green o-ring. 1997 Lumina 3.1 engine. Please help. Thanks!
teegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #39
bearcatdon
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegolf
Just completed this task and it was not too bad. Does anyone know the part number for the fuel inlet line at the fuel rail? I lost mine and have tried the will fits and it still leaks. Chevy dealer wants to hook me $40.00 to buy the whole steel tube with the o-ring, line and accumulator. Chevy dealer says you cannot get the o-ring seperate. I see some on here talking about a $8.00 green o-ring. 1997 Lumina 3.1 engine. Please help. Thanks!
Go to another dealer. They definitely do sell that overpriced O-ring. I purchased it twice from two different dealers. Ask them to show you the part breakdown diagram and point the part out to them.
bearcatdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #40
teegolf
AF Newbie

Went to three Chevy dealers and one Pontiac dealer. Got the same answer all places. Went to local o-rings/seal supply hose and picked up an o-ring that fit and would tolerate gasoline for $.50.
teegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #41
dyche
AF Newbie

Please help...just finished the job tonight, but the engine is smoking on and off. It was dark out so couldn't exactly see the source, however, the temperature guage in the car went about 3 quarters up before plunging back down. Some coolant was spilled during the job so I was hoping that it might just be burning off, but am at a loss overall.

Everything else in the engine is running well from the sound/looks of it though.

Thanks!
dyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #42
aadandrew
AF Newbie

How is you coolant levels? I'm curious whether your coolant maybe leaking out. Would explain why your temp shot up because not enough in there and then dropped down because none was in there to gauge. If I'm not mistaken the temp gauge measures the temp. of the coolant, if there is no coolant, there will be no temp.

To answer the question up top about the o-ring, call you local AC Delco dealer for a PN 217-461. Look to spend about $15, it comes with another O-ring which I believe is for the fuel return side. Believe me, us Delco distributors aren't making much on those O'rings, but Delco themselves have to be making a killing.
aadandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #43
wafrederick
Banned

Dorman Product does sell the intake gasket kit with new intake bolts and distribitor o ring.I sen this today at a Carquest customer expo today and Dorman was there.The intake gaskets are made out of metal instead of plastic and the kit goes for about $60.00
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #44
aadandrew
AF Newbie

Good piece of information, I may have went with them had I known that. Not that there is anything wrong with Felpro, they just didn't come with the bolts which you could easily spin $40 alone getting from GM.

One other thing I want to add about the O-Ring coming off the Inlet hose going into the Fuel Rail, be real careful and try and center the pipe in when installing the line. I put it on and mine leaked terrible because I must have nicked it good putting it in and it practically cut the O-ring in half. ITS REAL EASY TO DING THAT ORING INSTALLING IT. Its a tight fit, thats why everyone loses it when pulling the pipe out because it catches and shoots off once you pull that tube out. Take your time, its time consuming having to go back and replace it not to mention its an expensive O-ring and impossible to find on a sunday with the dealer is closed. I tried O-Riellys, Advance, and Autozone and they all told me they couldn't help me.
aadandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #45
tmorgan079
AF Newbie

Talking Re: Replacing intake gasket...

wow my mom told me every malibue that was around 1990s had this prob so did ares we just got ares fixed but good year did it we have tuns of probs with are car i hope you have had better luck ! My advise is if you need your car woked on fast take it to good year they do a good job doing intake gaskets!opcorn:
tmorgan079 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu