Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
NickF829
AF Newbie

Question Replacing intake gasket...

anyone have any tips on replacing the intake gasket? i can see where coolant has leaked out from underneath and come out the sides of the motor beneath the intake gasket.. probably a bad definition but yall probably know what i mean.. i know its a common 3100 motor problem, so im sure theres a nice writeup on it somewhere... anyone?

thanks

Nick
NickF829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
bearcatdon
AF Regular

Re: Replacing intake gasket...

1) Take your time especially if this is the first time. A manual is also useful
2) Label wires as you remove them
3) Raise the engine and remove the RH motor mount to move the power steering pump out of the way.
4) When disconnecting the fuel line from the rail be very careful not to lose the green o-ring
5) Pull the intake manifold followed by removing the pushrods and rotating rocker arms
6) Stand the pushrods in a box the same way they came out. I use a screwdriver and punch 12 holes in an old box. Make sure you write on the box cyl. 1, front of car etc. It is extremely important that you do not mix them up.
7) Clean all gasket surfaces properly.
8) Use pipe dope on your intake bolts. I also added serviceable loctite.
9) Torque all bolts to the new GM specs. See below
10) Oil the fuel injector o-rings when reinstalling and make sure they are properly seated.
11) Change your plugs, wires, belt and thermostat now that you have full access to all these things.

I pulled this document from the forum a while back…..not sure who originally posted it.
Document ID# 1396678
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Oil or Coolant Leak (Install New Intake Manifold Gasket) #03-06-01-010B - (10/24/2003)
Engine Oil or Coolant Leak (Install New Intake Manifold Gasket)
2000-2003 Buick Century

2002-2003 Buick Rendezvous

1996 Chevrolet Lumina APV

1997-2003 Chevrolet Venture

1999-2001 Chevrolet Lumina

1999-2003 Chevrolet Malibu, Monte Carlo

2000-2003 Chevrolet Impala

1996-2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette

1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1999-2003 Oldsmobile Alero

1996-1999 Pontiac Trans Sport

1999-2003 Pontiac Grand Am, Montana

2000-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

2001-2003 Pontiac Aztek

with 3.1L or 3.4L V-6 Engine (VINs J, E - RPOs LG8, LA1)

This bulletin is being revised to change the model Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-01-010A (Section 06 - Engine).

Condition
Some owners may comment on an apparent oil or coolant leak. Additionally, the comments may range from spots on the driveway to having to add fluids.

Cause
Intake manifold may be leaking allowing coolant, oil or both to leak from the engine.

Correction
Install a new design intake manifold gasket. The material used in the gasket has been changed in order to improve the sealing qualities of the gasket. When replacing the gasket, the intake manifold bolts must also be replaced and torqued to a revised specification. The new bolts will come with a pre-applied threadlocker on them.

Notice
An oil leak may result if the vertical bolts are not tightened before the diagonal bolts.

Diagonal bolts may require a crows foot to tighten.

Tighten
Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts (1) to 7N•m (62 lb in).
Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts (2) to 7N•m(62 lb in).
Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts (1) to 13N•m(115 lb in).
Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts (2) to 25N•m(18 lb ft).
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Intake manifold Gasket

Intake manifold bolt - short

Intake manifold bolt - long

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J0259
Manifold or Gasket, Intake (Upper, Lower) - Replace Gasket Lower
Use Published Labor Time
bearcatdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
rajjhauf
AF Newbie

Well........I just did that yesterday. It was not alot of fun, but I have more time than money. The gaskets were $50.00 and you have to know which vin code you have, J or M. It took me about 9 hours plus the oil change and a coolant flush.
rajjhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
chasM
AF Newbie

Just did this repair. Special thanks to NickXXX for starting this thread and Bearcatdon for all that good info!!! 1st I'd heard for the warning about the tightening sequence.
Note: My torque wrench took a dump so I did the job without it. I paid alot of attention getting all the bolts torqued the same. Much to my suprise I've had no problems whatsoever. I guess I've had enough troubles in the past. Somebody likes me.
If I had to do it over I would be smart and get a torque wrench though.

p.s. don't lose the fuel inlet O-ring. Chevy dealer charged me 8 bucks for it.

again thanks for the good info on the thread

cheers
chasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
ivis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasM
Just did this repair.
If I had to do it over I would be smart and get a torque wrench though.

p.s. don't lose the fuel inlet O-ring. Chevy dealer charged me 8 bucks for it.

again thanks for the good info on the thread

cheers
+1 +1

Last edited by ivis; 11-09-2006 at 02:02 AM.
ivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
chasM
AF Newbie

Quote:
Note: My torque wrench took a dump so I did the job without it.

After about two weeks I notice a small oil leak at the bottom of the lower intake. At that point I went straight out got a torque wrench and did the whole job over. I found I had under torqued most of the bolts.
I got my time dowjn to under 6 hours, but I hope I never have to do it again.
Next job that needs a torque wrench I will not fail to get one!!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
ivis
AF Newbie

Quote:

After about two weeks I notice a small oil leak at the bottom of the lower intake. At that point I went straight out got a torque wrench and did the whole job over. I found I had under torqued most of the bolts.
I got my time dowjn to under 6 hours, but I hope I never have to do it again.
Next job that needs a torque wrench I will not fail to get one!!!!
i'm understand you...
Old 11-27-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
tczer34
AF Newbie

I am to the point in this job where i need to remove the lower intake. I cannot free up the fuel rails in order to do this. I did not want to mess with the connections towards the master cylinder, or remove the fuel rails/injectors so I loosened the connections towards the right side of the rails (looking at the front of the car) but i can't get the rear fuel rail connections loose? Anyone else have this problem??

Also, I saw that many people ref the new GM gaskets, I was planning on using the Felpro ones available from AutoZone and the bolts that I removed, a good idea??

Thank you in advance. Desperate to fix this POS.

Tom
tczer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
bearcatdon
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tczer34
I am to the point in this job where i need to remove the lower intake. I cannot free up the fuel rails in order to do this. I did not want to mess with the connections towards the master cylinder, or remove the fuel rails/injectors so I loosened the connections towards the right side of the rails (looking at the front of the car) but i can't get the rear fuel rail connections loose? Anyone else have this problem??

Also, I saw that many people ref the new GM gaskets, I was planning on using the Felpro ones available from AutoZone and the bolts that I removed, a good idea??

Thank you in advance. Desperate to fix this POS.

Tom
If you follow the fuel rail you'll find that it is bolted on the lower side of the engine. This nut is very difficult to see. I left it on when disconnecting the fuel rail while cursing but could not get the threads to line back up. After what must have been about an hour of cursing and sleeping on it, I noticed it the next morning. Seeing it is half the battle, removing and replacing is the other. When you do finally get it undone, keep your eye on the green o-ring. The second job that I did for a friend I still didn't see it pop out even though I was looking for it. I later found it on the block.

I used Auto Zone parts and the original bolts which I cleaned, pipe doped and set with serviceable locktite. Knock on wood, that was 50,000 miles ago no leaks on mine or my buddy's.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
tczer34
AF Newbie

Bear with me as I talk through your directions....If i am looking at the fuel rail as it is attached to the lower intake manifold I see 2 main sections, imagine x axis front and back. They are connected permanately by a section on the left hand side, y axis. On the right hand side there is a return line, fuel pressure regulator (connected to front rail) and in back the feed line with an odd bolt that screws into the fuel rail. If I loosen that bolt isn't there a way to remove that feed line?

If I picture the way you describe i follow that Feed line down along the block but eventually I hit a plastic sleeved section.

Apparently I am lost.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
bearcatdon
AF Regular

Quote:
Bear with me as I talk through your directions....If i am looking at the fuel rail as it is attached to the lower intake manifold I see 2 main sections, imagine x axis front and back. They are connected permanately by a section on the left hand side, y axis. On the right hand side there is a return line, fuel pressure regulator (connected to front rail) and in back the feed line with an odd bolt that screws into the fuel rail. If I loosen that bolt isn't there a way to remove that feed line?

If I picture the way you describe i follow that Feed line down along the block but eventually I hit a plastic sleeved section.

Apparently I am lost.
The large line closest to the firewall is your inlet. I believe I used and adjustable wrench to remove it because I didn't have anything else large enough. This is the one with the O-ring. To loosen the other end, I removed the fuel regulator from the rail. The nut that I was referring to fastens the two fuel lines together with a small bracket to a stud on the side of the engine. It’s hard to see because it’s in between the exhaust manifold and engine. Once this bracket is removed you’ll have lots of freeplay in the lines. I believe the nut was an M8 (13mm socket). If all of these things are loose the lines should come out. You may have to give them a good tug. The rails will also give you lots of resistance. Although I hated doing it, I had to put a pry bar between the intake and fuel rail and pry like mad. Those dry injector seals don’t like to budge.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:29 AM   #12
tczer34
AF Newbie

I think I am on the same page with you now. The Return Line can be disconnected at the rail, I have been able to do that. As for the Feed Line what you are saying is that this must be disconnected at the firewall? I did not see that connection. What I saw on my car was a section about 10" from the firewall with some type of crazy connection that I do not know how to remove.

I noticed that part that attached the line to the block.

I do not plan on removing the fuel rail or injectors at all. This job can be done without doing that at all.

Thank you.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
porscheman9101
AF Newbie

it looks like aldata tech info, gm decided to use plastic gasket frame with a inner rubber like seal, common fail on these engines. very very important push rods are different lengths!!!!! make 100% sure you dont mix intake and exhaust rods. i have been a tech for over 25 years this job is a little tricky even for veterans. good luck take your time and you can do it
Old 11-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #14
bcopeland
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I think I am on the same page with you now. The Return Line can be disconnected at the rail, I have been able to do that. As for the Feed Line what you are saying is that this must be disconnected at the firewall? I did not see that connection. What I saw on my car was a section about 10" from the firewall with some type of crazy connection that I do not know how to remove.

I noticed that part that attached the line to the block.

I do not plan on removing the fuel rail or injectors at all. This job can be done without doing that at all.

Thank you.
Now I don't know about you - I've done this job about 3 times and each time I remove the fuel rails from the lower intake manifold -- why not? Take your time and do it completely. And yes - please do use the FelPro "Trouble Shooter intake gaskets.
bcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
chasM
AF Newbie

Alot of good advise in this thread. My engine seems to be leak free now.
Hope you( tczer34)found the fastener holding the fuel lines to the engine block ok. My big gripe was the damn inlet fuel line O-ring. It popped out Both times, and I had to go to the dealer to get another..8 bucks. Ouch

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu