Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
ChevMali99
AF Regular

2013 Malibu SRS/Airbag light on.

Hello there to all,

I've scoured the internet to find a solution to this and found nothing but generic suggestions that don't work, hope to find one here.

As the title says, I have a 2013 Malibu with a SRS / Airbag service light that won't come off. It all started after hard breaking and hard horn honk, the light came on and has not come off since.

Every website says to disconnect the battery for 1hr, no that doesn't work. I called GM customer service and as other websites suggest the solution is between 700 & 1000 to reflash / reset the SRS system. It's worth mentioning there was no accident, there was no impact, the airbags never deployed;so any amount of money to fix this is unconscionable.

Having said all this, has anyone here faced this problem and fixed it? Has anyone reset the SRS Airbag light for good without having to kiss GM's dealership ring?
ChevMali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
ChevMali99
AF Regular

Re: 2013 Malibu SRS/Airbag light on.

I bought a new OBD2 scanner to one that could access the SRS (airbag) and ABS (brakes) codes, and quickly learned about a B0013 code.

So far, from what little information I gathered, the code is not a sign of something major, still having that light on is really annoying. I learned many things could be wrong from an "airbag coil" aka "airbag clock spring", or a loose connector in the steering wheel. All are bad options since they entail disassembling the steering wheel.

There's of course the kissing the dealer's ring at dealer prices since... well... that's just what they do. Or, wait for the code to clear by itself.

According to a few DTC pages: Conditions for Clearing the DTC: The condition for setting the DTC is no longer exists. or A history DTC will clear once 100 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.

A 100 ignition cycles!!!

Question - what happens to the cycles after you clear code or disconnect the battery? do the cycles reset too?
Old 12-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
ChevMali99
AF Regular

Re: 2013 Malibu SRS/Airbag light on.

Happy to report that after a 120 warm up cycles (whatever that means), as off 12/01/2019 the airbag light went off on its own. It's unclear if that alone did it since I had an oil change service done and wife told me the car became unresponsive to her while sitting at a light. But - all I know the light is finally off.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu