Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #91
jokenighttrain
AF Newbie

Re: Replacing intake gasket...

I have the UIM off, altnator, and all the bolts from the LIM (10) but I can't get the LIM off - is it that difficult? A diagram of the LIM shows that there are 12 bolts but I only see 10!? What up wit dat? It's not budging...

Nevermind. I got it off. There are two bolts, one on each side that are hidden in the LIM channels. Mine were covered with oil so I couldn't see them. Now I have the required 12 bolts removed. Here's a link with a better photo of the LIM and those two bolts.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/bu...et-replacement

Last edited by jokenighttrain; 09-10-2011 at 02:46 PM.
jokenighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #92
wagslick
AF Newbie

Anyone find or make any how-to videos of this procedure on youtube?

I do all my own oil changes and brakes and such and I've replaced a water pump in the past. This would be the most difficult project I've ever tackled. Do I just go for it or hire a professional?
wagslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #93
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

I would highly recomend getting a manual and doing some research before you attempt this job. It can be intimidating if you have not done it before. I have had several towed in that people started, then decided it was too much for them.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #94
dpalomaki
AF Regular

If you have successfully done a water pump and routine fluids and filters replacement and maintenance you have the basic mechanic skills needed, provided you can work form written shop manuals and instructions. However, the LIM gasket is a much more involved undertaking and digs much deeper into the engine. If you are experienced and have the needed parts and tools and a good, warm garage, it can take the better part of a full day.

Works best if you have a FSM, or at least a good on line manual such as AlldataDIY, and study up a bit before you start. Read all the posts here and elsewhere regarding doing the job. (IMHO the typical Haynes or Chiltons manual is not adequate for this job.)

First time? than plan for at least 16 hours time actively working on the car. Take lots of photos in sequence as you disassemble the engine so you can study them to help get the parts, wiring, hoses, etc. back in the right locations. And store the parts you remove in a good, safe location marked as to where they came from and thus go back.

Once you open it up, the car is dead until you complete the job, and you may find you need additional replacement parts halfway through the job - e.g., if you break an injector. or need to replace plugs or wires.

However, DIY can save you several hundred dollars.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #95
beatnick60
AF Newbie

Hello and Thanks to everyone!

My son and I are about to do this job tomorrow- and we are so glad to have the advice and precautions shared on this post!

Does anyone know where to get the best step-by-step instructions? I am planning on getting the Haynes Manual, but are there also any online?

Again, Thanks!
beatnick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #96
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnick60 View Post

My son and I are about to do this job tomorrow- and we are so glad to have the advice and precautions shared on this post!

Does anyone know where to get the best step-by-step instructions? I am planning on getting the Haynes Manual, but are there also any online?

Again, Thanks!
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #97
dpalomaki
AF Regular

Short of buying a Factory Service Manual, AllDataDIY.com is among the best - far better than the typical Haynes manuals. And have a camera available to take many pictures as you take it down so you can get the precise routing/parts placement correct as you put it back together.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #98
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Make sure to pay attention to the push rods! They are different lengths! Exhaust rods are longer than intake rods!
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #99
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnick60 View Post

Again, Thanks!
I'm assuming you have the 3.1. Go to d-tips.com and click on the "Articles" drawer on the toolbox at the left. You can read about the 3.4 intake replacement. I read this and this made alot of things clearer to me. If there are any, and I mean any things that you are not clear about, you should ask here and don't guess while you're doing the job. There's too much at stake to make a mistake. Good luck.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #100
Flood87
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture and did the gasket about 4 years ago. Looks like it has come back. Loosing coolant, pressure test is OK, carbon vapor test is OK. Has a rough idle and the temp. gage wanders between hot and cold at times.

Wish me luck!
Flood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #101
dpalomaki
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood87 View Post
I have a 2000 Chevy Venture and did the gasket about 4 years ago. Looks like it has come back. Loosing coolant, pressure test is OK, carbon vapor test is OK. Has a rough idle and the temp. gage wanders between hot and cold at times.
If you used a new, good gasket (e.g., metal frame) I would not expect it to fail that fast. If you cannot find obvious evidence of gasket failure, such as coolant in oil or oil in coolant, I would be sure to check for other issues as well before tearing into the engine again. Rough idle and wondering temp gauge, and coolant loss could be something else, such as a failed temp sensor, or perhaps a couple thing like a leaking water pump seal and some other sensor.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #102
DIY52
AF Newbie

Finished an overhaul and the only issues I had were with the fuel intake and the intake manifold RTV seal bead. took 6 hours to redo it. The o-ring got crushed & fuel poured out, and the RTV seal on both ends was inadequate & leaked oil. Got to watch that o-ring - always have new ones handy, and a good amount of RTV has to be pushed deep up into the base of the manifold gasket at the corners before squeezing a generous 1/2” thick bead on those ‘S’ mating surfaces. Not the best design imo, but it’s dry now & runs fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasM View Post
Alot of good advise in this thread. My engine seems to be leak free now.
Hope you( tczer34)found the fastener holding the fuel lines to the engine block ok. My big gripe was the damn inlet fuel line O-ring. It popped out Both times, and I had to go to the dealer to get another..8 bucks. Ouch
DIY52 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu