Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
ShinobiTpz
AF Newbie

2002 Premiere - Rear vents?

Well after the total lack of replies to my multiplay CD problem , I'm hoping for at least something back on this one. I might be completely naive, but are the rear overhead passenger air vents on my 2002 Premiere supposed to do anything or are they just for aesthetics? The rear air works fine and can be controlled by the driver or passenger but air only blows from floor level. All I can find in the manual about the rear air is that the gangway should be kept clear to enable air flow, but that's it.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Glen_T
AF Regular

Re: 2002 Premiere - Rear vents?

Yes, my 2003 Pontiac blows air from the overhead vents when the front controls are on vent or vent/heat. When it is just on the heat (your feet), then only the lower vent will blow air.

If yours does not blow out if the top vents with the front controls in any location, then you probably have a diverter valve that is not working. When I am back home, I'll look at my manual and see if has any pointers....Glen
Old 08-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
ShinobiTpz
AF Newbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Glen. Look forward to any help you can offer (and to clarify, I don't get anything from overhead, no matter what air/blower setting is being used)
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Glen_T
AF Regular

Sorry...been swamped at work and forgot about it when I got home...I'll try to look at the manual tonight....Glen
Old 09-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Glen_T
AF Regular

Okay, I see from the manual that there is a "mode actuator" behind the rear quarter panel (near where the 3rd seat passenger's knee would be on the drivers side). You might see if this actuator is stuck or is not getting any signal. I suspect it is a 3 position flapper valve - either all the way up, all the way down, or in between.....hope this helps...Glen
Old 09-06-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
ShinobiTpz
AF Newbie

Thanks for following this up, Glen. I just checked it out and there's no quarter-panel back there in mine, though. Just a solid piece of plastic siding going up from the floor as far as the cup-holder
Old 09-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Glen_T
AF Regular

Yep, that's what you have to take off...there is ducting coming from the heater-A/C unit that is located on the left rear corner of the van. It comes towards the front, then tees to go up the roof or down to the floor. The mode actuator/diverter is at the "tee".....

There is a regular poster named GregA that sometimes posts diagrams from manuals. If he's reading this thread, maybe he can help....
Old 09-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_T
Yep, that's what you have to take off...there is ducting coming from the heater-A/C unit that is located on the left rear corner of the van. It comes towards the front, then tees to go up the roof or down to the floor. The mode actuator/diverter is at the "tee".....

There is a regular poster named GregA that sometimes posts diagrams from manuals. If he's reading this thread, maybe he can help....
Hi Guys,

Gee Glen, since you mentioned me by name I guess I better get some info out, ah?

You MAY be able to take the cup holder out to get a look at actuator (with a flashlight), but you will probably have to remove the stuff listed below to do it right.

I haven't found the diagram yet, but here are the instructions to get to the auxiliary air controls (left/driver side - rear).

Remove the rear seats.
Remove the back body pillar trim.
Remove the body side upper trim panel.
Remove the cup holder from the rear quarter trim.
Remove the rear accessory panel, for the left side quarter panel.
Remove the seat belt retractor retainer bolt.
Remove the upper cargo net retainers.
Remove the lift-gate sill plate.
Remove the rear quarter trim panel retainers using a trim tool
Remove the rear quarter trim panel from the vehicle.

Installation is the reverse of these instructions.

Just remember that most of these are made of plastic and held on by retainers. It may take a good pull to get some of it loose and may take a bit of a push to get it back in (make sure it is lined up first).

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Take Care,
Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
ShinobiTpz
AF Newbie

Wow guys, is this a case of 'speaking of the Devil'? lol. Thanks for following this up again Glen, and thanks for the detailed info that you've provided, Greg. I have to say, though, that I'm one of those people who has done little more than install replacement audio or a basic alarm system so taking panels and such off with absolutely no experience is more than a little daunting. I'm not saying I won't try, but I was naively hoping my problem might stem from something a little easier to access.

Once I pluck up the courage to take part of the wife's pride and joy apart I'll post the results (along with desperate pleas for where to buy replacement trim parts
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Glen_T
AF Regular

I knew you'd read it, Greg! You're like me - I like to surf these sites! Thanks for chiming in.....

Well, you may be in luck. I went out to my van, and carefully pulled up on the middle of the black cover that has the cup holder in it (the part closest to the sliding door). With just my hands, it sort of popped up and off (start in the middle). The mode actuator motor and connection is right there!

My manual for the 03 Montana says there are 3 wires - the black wire is ground, the brown wire is 12V with the ignition in "run", and the red is the logic signal wire from the control module for the HVAC.

You might try removing this cover. Just go slowly, and you can look under enough to see what is holding it up - I just used my hands, so if you're finding a lot of resistance, stop and look again.

Maybe you'll be lucky and the connection is loose or corroded. It almost looks like you can access the screws to remove the actuator, but you might not be able to get it out.....I'd check for voltage first between the brown and black with the ignition in "run" and then report back what you find......but first unplug and plug the connector in to make sure it is making good contact....good luck...Glen
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #11
ShinobiTpz
AF Newbie

Thanks once again, Glen (and of course Greg!). I'm definitely more inclined to give it a go now. As I've said, I can turn my hand to some things, but I'm not going to even attempt taking things apart that I've got no idea about (I've learnt my lesson on computers for a start!). I'll check out the wires and connections then post what I find. Until I get in there, I've still got no idea what the actuator even looks like

Anyway, I've got a busy weekend coming up, so it'll probably be in another day or two, but I'll update you shortly.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 09-09-2006, 02:24 AM   #12
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiTpz
... As I've said, I can turn my hand to some things, but I'm not going to even attempt taking things apart that I've got no idea about (I've learnt my lesson on computers for a start!). ... Until I get in there, I've still got no idea what the actuator even looks like
I have found that the mechanical stuff is easier than the electronic stuff ... but that's just me.

Oh Yeah - Check for a PM (Private Message).

Take Care,
Old 09-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
ShinobiTpz
AF Newbie

Ooops, see next message!

Last edited by ShinobiTpz; 09-15-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #14
ShinobiTpz
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 2002 Premiere - Rear vents?

Well, I finally got around to taking that cup holder off and... yep, for some bizarre reason there was a disconnected connector that had been tucked in down behind the panelling. As we've only had the Silhouette for a few months, it would seem that this was disconnected before we got it for reasons that are beyond me. Maybe the last owner didn't like overhead air!

Anyway, the long and short of it is that thanks to what turned out to be a simple fix, the air is now working perfectly. Greg and Glen - your help has been invaluable. Thanks for the 'quick fix', Glen, and thank you very much Greg for the 'package' you kindly put together for me. You guys have been amazing and have both saved me a lot of stress!

Cheers

Billy

Last edited by ShinobiTpz; 09-15-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
1lugnut
AF Newbie

wow, nice to see such success.

not really my problem but close.
on my 2001 silhouette,
can someone tell me how to access the temperature actuator door for
the rear vents.

my kids have been whining for the longest time saying the air was no good in the back, i waved them off until i went back there the other day.
sure enough, its blowing red hot air. when it is set to a/c

i am pretty sure its the actuator door since,
when i run the fan with the motor off, i get ambient air temp,
but if i start the car i get heated air. (meanwhile the front is blowing cooled a/c air) sooo, i suspect that when the car starts the vacuum closes off the door to the outside air and hence i get heated air, but the door is for some reason not listening to the controls and moving it to cool.

i checked all fuses, but strange enough, in the manual, there is a fuse for the temprature door actuator (front) but none that says (rear)

could just be a fuse but where?, dont know where to begin looking for the door.

thanks in advance for me and the kids, its getting hot again

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette