Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
sheldonbailey
AF Newbie

Question 2001 Silhouette - trailer hitch wiring

Just purchased a 16' boat and would like to put a hitch on this van, but someone at the dealer told me that the wiring can be a nightmare, can anyone shed some light on this, point me to a wiring diagram or just tell me if you have any problems.

I just purchased this van 3 weeks ago and don't know to much about it yet.

Thanks
sheldonbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 Silhouette - trailer hitch wiring

Here is a link to the wiring diagram.

Hope it helps.

Take Care,
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Glen_T
AF Regular

Nightmare? Hardly. On most, if you have the rear self-leveling system, if should be wired with a blank plug near the air compressor that you can plug in a flat 4 wire harness from GM. On my 2003 Montana, I bought the GM harness and it plugged right in - perfect fit. But, I do have the rear leveling system, and also the Olds may be different.

Or, companies like Hoppy sell a "T" arrangement that just plugs right in with no splicing if you don't have the leveling system or don't want to buy the GM harness....try http://www.trailerwiring.com/ and look up your vehicle....good luck! Glen
Glen_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
sheldonbailey
AF Newbie

Thank you very much Glen T and Greg A, this information will help me allot, I do not have the leveling system but the adapter should help.

Glen T just wondering if you have the 1.25" hitch or the 2" and if you have the smaller do you think it would work to pull a 16' bayliner? or should I spend the extra money and go with the bigger size hitch, your opinion would be appreciated

Last edited by sheldonbailey; 06-20-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Glen_T
AF Regular

I'd go with the 2" so you have more flexibility on what you attach. Either would probably work (depends on trailer weight, not length), but I don't believe the 2" is that much more money. Likely the hitch will not be the weak link - the unibody frame attachment on the vehicle dictates what you can pull.

I went with the 1.25" because I didn't plan on hauling much, and I wanted something that wasn't very visible.....just my 2 cents....Glen
Old 06-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
sheldonbailey
AF Newbie

Very true the price diffrence is quite a bit, I will need to phone an Olds dealer to see what kind of weight I can pull, but I will order a 2" as I have found them for as cheap as $139 upto $200.

JC Whitney has a Class III hitch for these vans for $139 USD and that is not a bad price even with the conversion from CAD to USD as well it is a Hidden Hitch.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
Glen_T
AF Regular

Sheldonbailey,

The 1.25" hitch I bought for my 2003 Pontiac Montana was from gmpartsdirect.com. It was P/N 12371077, Trailer Hitch, Weight Distribution Platform. It fit models without AWD, and has a 3,500 lbs trailer weight / 350 lbs tongue weight rating.

I paid US$ 107.80 plus shipping, and I see it is now running about US $135. In retrospect, I think I should have gone with one of the ValleyRite or Hidden Hitch designs because I think they are less visible. However, the price was right and I actaully thought it was going to be more hidden than it was. It did fit just right, but did require drilling (not a big deal, but was required).

Does it matter that it is visible? Now that I've had it awhile, I don't even notice it.....

One thing I would recommend is to find one that has a place to mount the wiring harness plug. My harness is sort of wrapped and wire-tied around the hitch, and I wish I could find bracket that would fit the harness plug and have a way to mount it on the hitch.

Also, if you do not have the leveling system, then you do not have the towing package. So, you might want to consider adding a transmission cooler. I think the factory option just adds the transmission cooler, an oil cooler, and a larger alternator (I think). But, I'm pretty sure you have to have the load leveler option to get the towing package options (they are dependent options). However, different years and models may be different, so I could easily be wrong!

Good luck, and I'm interested in hearing what you end up doing.....Glen
Old 06-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
sheldonbailey
AF Newbie

I will keep you up to date on my progress, I am going to install the tranny cooler and install aftermarket air bags for the suspension. But before I do anything I am going to take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

I need to determined if I have the bigger radiator, apparently the bigger rad is made in Taiwan and there is a “where it is made” sticker somewhere on the radiator. Unless there an easier way. As for the Hitch, I found 3 Montana's in a scrap yard and the owner tells me one has a 2" hitch so I will go and look at that today.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
merc81
AF Enthusiast

I went with the 'Hidden Hitch' product. I got it from etrailer.com for 139 and free shipping. The Hidden Hitch fits right in behind the bumper, only thing you can see is the drawbar receiver just below the bumper. It comes with a bracket to mount your wiring connector on.
My '99 silhouette had the load leveler package and there is a 6 pin connecter above that to plug in the trailer lights. I had to add my own tranny cooler though so I'm guessing the towing package isn't the only way to get the load leveler system ie, I don't have a factory tow package, but still have the leveler.
Its a bit of a pain to mount the hitch as the frame is closed off and you need to place nuts inside it to hold the hitch screws on, but Hidden Hitch encluded nuts with a 8" strap welded on to them that made the job easy.
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
sheldonbailey
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 2001 Silhouette - trailer hitch wiring

I have not got down to putting together my tow package as of yet, I will be sand blasting the hitch and powder coating the hitch white to match my van. I have all hopes to be parting out another Pontiac Montana van for the auto leveling system. The only thing I have not decided yet is either to put in the trans cooler or the over sized rad, which ever is easier.

With all these changes it moves the towing capacity from 2000 to 3500, not that I need that much but better safe than sorry and not to mention I love the scrap yards some of my friends think that is weird but I love heading down there to strip cheap parts for my vehicles!!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
armagh
AF Newbie

I am going to be adding a hitch to my 2001 silhouette, I have the leveling system how can I tell if I have the trans cooler or the correct radiator?
armagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #12
sheldonbailey
AF Newbie

Since you have the leveling system I would assume you have the tow package, but I have been told that the rad (comparing yours to mine) yours is much bigger and that somewhere on the rad it is marked "Made in China" where my rad is made in the US. I am not sure where I read that but don't quote me on that. If it is an aftermarket style rad cooler you should see it mounted on the rad with 2 lines coming out of it.

I will check my manual and see if I can find more information and get back to you.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
Glen_T
AF Regular

I am pretty sure that if you have the towing package, you have the leveling equipment, but the opposite is not always true. In other words, if you have the leveling, you may or may not have the towing package.

The best way is to look at the option listing in the glove compartment. My manual lists what option codes are for what, so I could look that up for you (but I'm not at home).

The other way to check is to look for the oil cooler which is part of the towing package on these GM vans. It is a thick "donut" that goes between the oil filter and the block, and has coolant lines feeding it. That may be the easiest to check.

Hope this helps....glen
Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
Dan Ehman
AF Newbie

I've got a 1999 Silhouette that I just bought a "t" connector and wiring for a trailer hitch. The wiring kit specified my van and had a diagram indicating where to find the connection. I could not find a connection on the rear, driver side to hook into! I took the entire rear trim panel off and nothing. Can anyone help?
Dan Ehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
truc0011
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonbailey
I have not got down to putting together my tow package as of yet, I will be sand blasting the hitch and powder coating the hitch white to match my van. I have all hopes to be parting out another Pontiac Montana van for the auto leveling system. The only thing I have not decided yet is either to put in the trans cooler or the over sized rad, which ever is easier.

With all these changes it moves the towing capacity from 2000 to 3500, not that I need that much but better safe than sorry and not to mention I love the scrap yards some of my friends think that is weird but I love heading down there to strip cheap parts for my vehicles!!

sheldonbailey, I would love to hear how hard/easy it is to install the auto load leving system from another Montana. I would like to do this on my van as well!

Please let me know.
truc0011 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette