Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
JDOK
AF Newbie

power door locks

I have a 1999 Silhouette with a door lock problem. The drivers side door lock paddle switch will lock the doors but not unlock the doors? The locking mechanism on the drivers door (plus all others) works fine using all of the other switches and the keyless. I have replaced the switch but with the same results. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
cdru
AF Enthusiast

Re: power door locks

Broken wire?
Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
JDOK
AF Newbie

Thanks for responding. I attempted to find a wiring problem but was unable to find anything. I suspect there is a broken wire within the insulation that is not apparent. I was also wondering if the security sysem may be causing an issue? It's doughtful but who knows. In any case if anyone knows which wires to look for (color code) it would be appreciated if you would pass it on to me. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Flyer88
AF Newbie

I have almost exactly the same problem except the switches will only unlock the doors, not lock them. All other related locking functions work correctly. The dealer told me it must be a wiring issue, probably around a 3-way connection, maybe located under the passenger seat or behind the kick panel in the passenger footwell. I haven't looked for it yet. Please post a reply if you find the solution, and good luck.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
klhenrichs
AF Newbie

I have the same problem as the original post - will not unlock - I have tried replacing the switch - it is not the switch. Still trying to locate the wires.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
Flyer88
AF Newbie

I have since noticed that I cannot lock the doors using the key in the driver's door, although I can still lock them using the key in the tailgate or the passenger's door. This isn't new and I believe it is connected to the same problem, I just didn't notice it before.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer88
I have since noticed that I cannot lock the doors using the key in the driver's door, although I can still lock them using the key in the tailgate or the passenger's door. This isn't new and I believe it is connected to the same problem, I just didn't notice it before.
Probably a wiring issue to the driver side switches.

I have some information & wiring diagrams HERE, a few lines down the page. Look for the links having to do with the lock system & switches.

Take Care,
Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
bbkinsman
AF Newbie

2002 Olds Silhouette - Driver & passenger door locks won't lock or unlock with switch, but when you start the car and put in gear all doors lock. Switches still don't work but when you shut the car off all doors unlock. Keyless remote works both to lock and unlock. I took door switches off and tested and they seem to be working ok. Any ideas or suggestions
Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkinsman
2002 Olds Silhouette - Driver & passenger door locks won't lock or unlock with switch, but when you start the car and put in gear all doors lock. Switches still don't work but when you shut the car off all doors unlock. Keyless remote works both to lock and unlock. I took door switches off and tested and they seem to be working ok. Any ideas or suggestions
Sounds like you have a broken wire or loose connection between the switches and Body Control Module (BCM).

Take a look at the following page for a diagram that might help. The BCM is on the passenger side kick panel. Removing the insulator will allow you to see it. I have pictures of where it is on the site.

Door Lock Switches

Take Care,
Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
rmellnick
AF Newbie

I have a 2003 Silhouette with the same issue. Doors unlock with everything except the unlock switch on each door. I think it is a broken wire or bad connection.

My question is the voltage at the switch should it be 12volts ? Power should be on the white wire.

Could it be a Body control module?

Thanks in advance

Russ
Old 03-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
cortster
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: power door locks

I had the same exact problem and I just recently resolved it. Underneath the carpet on the passenger side there is a wiring harness that is susceptible to corrosion. Removing the seat might help. Look for wires showing green corrosion. I repaired alot of them even some that I suspected that were still working but I thought would go bad soon, so I cannot be specific as to which wires to repair. The areas that you are looking for are the areas where they were split by the factory (wrapped with a black clothy tape).
Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
rmellnick
AF Newbie

That is exactly what it was. I found the splice for the door unlock circuit and fixed it.

Worked like a charm. Thanks to everyones help saved me some $$$$$$

Russ
Old 03-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Glad to see the issue has been resolved. If you look through some of the threads in the Venture, Montana and Silhouette forums you can see that this is a common issue.
I'm closing this thread to further posts as it is an old thread that has been resurrected.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette