Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #16
NightRaven71
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 2000 Silouette. Ok Campers, who's changed their spark plugs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru
From below, you can access them by reaching up through the opening where the exhaust pipe comes out. You will need to jack up the car a considerable amount of distance though. I found it just as easy to remove the ignition modules (hint...once you remove it, never put the nuts on the rear studs...makes the next time alot easier) and going at it from the top. I'm a husky guy with big arms and hands, and it's a really tight squeeze to get under the vehicle as well as fit my arm up in there. I just go at it from the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru

I've done it enough times for various repairs on the back half of the engine that it only takes a jiffy to pull the ignition module to get easy access to everything back there.

My steps:
1. Remove both dogbones
2. Use a ratchet belt strap (for tying down cargo) and thread it through the loop on the right, front corner engine support bracket going through the hole where the hood latches down. (other locations are available too). Tigten down slightly.
3. Remove the middle link of the wiper arm assembly.
4. Remove spark plug wires from ignition module.
5. Remove two front bolts and 2 rear nuts. You may need to rock the engine forward slightly make room for the rear
6. Rock engine back if you moved it forward already. Remove ignition module and set aside.
7. Change rear plugs. A universal joint and/or a stubby ratchet wrench may be helpful.
8. Reassemble is the opposite order.

This was a great help for replacing spark plugs and the air control check valve. If you apply this to a 2001 with California emissions, then a few more steps are required.

Modified Steps:

1. Remove both dogbones
2. Use a ratchet belt strap (for tying down cargo) and thread it through the loop on the right, front corner engine support bracket going through the hole where the hood latches down. (other locations are available too). Rock the engine forward and tighten the strap down slightly.
3. Loosen the 2 screws on the left wiper arm assembly and separate from the ball joint (swing it to the right out of harms way)
4. Loosen the 2 screws on the right wiper arm assembly (middle of the engine compartment) and separate from the ball joint (swing it to the right out of harms way)
5. Label and Remove spark plug wires from ignition module.
6. Remove the 3 electrical connectors from the coil module (1 on the right and 2 on the left)
7. Remove the two front bolts from the coil module
8. Remove the left rear nut from the coil module. (It is located behind the small hole on the left side of the coil module mounting bracket, below the curve)
9. I could not easily remove the right rear nut so I removed the coil packs one at a time by removing the mounting screws. (2 per coil) Once the coil packs are out of the way you should have easy access to the right rear nut. (It is located behind the small hole on the right side of the coil module mounting bracket, below the curve)
10. Change rear plugs. A universal joint and/or a stubby ratchet wrench may be helpful.
11. Reassemble is the opposite order.
NightRaven71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #17
jrdwyer
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Silouette. Ok Campers, who's changed their spark plugs ?

I did it from below using ramps on our 2001 Silo at around 50K miles. It is not easy to do, but with this engine and van nothing really is.

If you have 100K miles and this is your first plug change, then you should probably do it from above to allow you easily inspect and/or change the plug wires.
jrdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette