Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #16
Hugh Thornton
AF Newbie

Re: hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyandmarsha
i also suggest that you find the customer assistance or support number from your owners manual. call it and complain about the dealer if they don't treat you right. most likely the dealer will get a call from GM telling them to take care of you. give it a try and let us know.

Thanks troyandmarsha. I will follow your suggestions and let you know how I make out.
Hugh
Hugh Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #17
John Hawkyard
AF Newbie

Re: Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Thornton
I have exactly the same problem with my heated? seats. Does anyone know whether this is a fused problem or is it something more serious?
The only difference I have experienced is that the seats just stopped working altogether. I'd sure appreciate someone telling me what to do,
aside from dumping the blankety-blank vehicle in the lake!

Hugh Thornton
Hugh, did you get a reply to this issue? I am having exactly the same problem. Lights on the switches still work, but no HEAT! Tried checking all fuses and circuit breakers...can't find a fault. Also can't get the change oil light to go out. Wonder if the two could be related?

John
John Hawkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #18
Hugh Thornton
AF Newbie

Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

Hello John; Yes, I did find out that there are no fuses that operate your 2001 Silhouette seats. The heating element is built right into the seat, and unless you have an extended warranty, it'll cost between $300 and $400 to repair. Hugh
Old 02-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #19
donatelo22
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

[quote=Hugh Thornton]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Thornton
I have exactly the same problem with my heated? seats. Does anyone know whether this is a fused problem or is it something more serious?
The only difference I have experienced is that the seats just stopped working altogether. I'd sure appreciate someone telling me what to do,
aside from dumping the blankety-blank vehicle in the lake!
I just finished spending $1200.00 replacing an intake manifold gasket
problem, thermostat, antifreeze and spark plugs. And the vehicle has only 76,000 kms!
Is your van older than 5/years? My 2001 is supposed to be under warranty for 5/100,000 kms.Also the dealer told me(one week after signing the bill of sale)that the 3.4 liter engine will blow intake gaskets(normal for this engine)and eventually start to slap the pistons when it is cold (started at 39500kms).There is no warranty on the pistons,but the intake is supposed to be covered.
donatelo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:27 AM   #20
Hugh Thornton
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatelo22
Is your van older than 5/years? My 2001 is supposed to be under warranty for 5/100,000 kms.Also the dealer told me(one week after signing the bill of sale)that the 3.4 liter engine will blow intake gaskets(normal for this engine)and eventually start to slap the pistons when it is cold (started at 39500kms).There is no warranty on the pistons,but the intake is supposed to be covered.
My van is just coming up to 3 years old, has 72000 km and has blown a head gasket. GM refused to honour any warranty as it was over the 60000 km mark. Apparently, the head is cast iron and the manifold is aluminum. This creates what in nautical terms is "a less noble metal" situation wherein one metal becomes what is called a sacrificial anode.GM's designers should have known better! In any event, I'm told the modified gasket which was installed (at my expense) should overcome this problem in the future. Slapping pistons I have not encountered and hope I don"t.
Hugh
Old 03-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #21
charleylol
AF Newbie

Cool Better Gm Warranty Service

JUST A SUGGESTION. IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH WARRANTY SERVICE AT YOUR GM DEALERSHIP. TAKE YOUR VEHICLE TO YOUR NEAREST CADILLAC DEALERSHIP. I HAVE HAD EXTREMELY GOOD QUALITY SERVICE AT MORSE CADILLAC AND DIMMITT CADILLAC IN THE TAMPABAY AREA AND I THINK YOU WILL HAVE BETTER SUCCESS AT A CADILLAC DEALER NEAR YOU. IF IT IS A GM VEHICLE, ANY GM DEALERSHIP CAN HANDLE THE WARRANTY. GOOD LUCK. Charley
charleylol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #22
ChuckA
AF Newbie

Re: hugh

My 2001 Silhouette has had the heated seats replaced twice under warranty. I don't see why they won't need to be replaced again, they have yet to actually work when we need them...

This is the worst vehicle I've ever owned. We just had to have it towed to the dealership this weekend because the tranny went out.

I don't know if saying "I'm glad to see other people having problems" is appropriate, but when we take it to the dealer they act like the Silhouette is the most trouble free vehicle on the road. We've had this reaction at two different dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyandmarsha
i also suggest that you find the customer assistance or support number from your owners manual. call it and complain about the dealer if they don't treat you right. most likely the dealer will get a call from GM telling them to take care of you. give it a try and let us know.
We tried this after the drivers side sliding door fell of the van - yes it actually fell off. They were even more useless then the dealership and wanted nothing to do with us. All we wanted to do was take it to a Pontiac delar that we knew would take care of us but the beyatch on the other end told us if we did we had to pay for it. We "just had to work with the Olds dealer to get things taken care of..."
ChuckA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #23
Scott T
AF Newbie

Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniva_newbie
I just recently purchased my first minivan--2001 Silhouette Premier. The driver side heated seat doesn't seem to get as warm as the passenger side. My wife says it warms up fine. Should I check something out electrically or take it to the dealer? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry about your luck, replaced driver side heated seat element 2x in 1 year in my 2002 amongst too many other problems to list for a vehicle with under 60,000 Kms. Friend has a 2001 - same as above
Scott T is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette