Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Astra/Astra Coupe/Kadett
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 06:18 AM   #1
Buddha_076
AF Newbie

Stage 1 ECU Remap

Hello all,

I own a 2016 Holden BK Astra in Australia. This is 1.6T, the car is a little
Zippy and I want some more grunt “as I was dragged off by a VW. I have had cat back exhaust installed 3” down to 2.5” have changed air filter to K&N and I’m booked in next week for a stage 1 ECU remap. Is this the right way to go
And what should I be expecting from this? Also is there anything else I should be looking into for more performance without major works. Thanks all I really appreciate any advice
Buddha_076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Stage 1 ECU Remap

I went to the track a couple weeks ago and it was rained out. Wandering around to kill time, the only things I saw with 1.6 liters of anything were the demonstration cars and emergency generators in the pits. And some of the concessionaires' big beverage cups were pretty close, but not quite 1.6L. None of them were likely to turn out a three-second run, except maybe to the Porta-Potty.

The point is that there are limitations design and size. If the reflash of the PCM doesn't produce satisfaction, some of the items involved may be at their limits. Since power output is a function of the fuel/air charge crammed into a cylinder, injectors have to be of sufficient capacity, the intake tract has to be of sufficient size, and the means of getting spent combustion gasses out of the cylinder has to be adequate.

Of course, simple physics will dictate that raising pressure in a system will provide an increase in volumetric flow through that system. Increasing the fuel system pressure will provide high fuel volume flow. Increasing intake tract pressure will provide an increase in inlet air flow, commonly achieved with turbines and/or positive displacement blowers. The difficulty arises in removing spent gasses since there is no commonly available aid to extract gasses, so that can become a practical limit.

If your build happens to be nearing any of those kinds of limitations, a little more engineering and study time may be beneficial before deciding on a path. Your 90 cubic inches may be doing practically about all that it can, and very efficiently. Getting that last 10% of power from it may involve cubic money and time, and that kind of ROI is not usually practical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
Buddha_076 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
Buddha_076
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Stage 1 ECU Remap

Impressive reply,

Thanks for that wealth of information. I think I be needing to look into this a little more. I just thought this was the way to go to get a little more performance out of the little donk

Thanks again
Old 08-14-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
Buddha_076
AF Newbie

Re: Stage 1 ECU Remap

I was told that the reflash of PCM “not remap as I believed “ the data extracted was tweaked a little not to do any damage that anything tweaked would be in the parameters of the engine. I’m not sure about all this now and honestly

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Astra/Astra Coupe/Kadett