Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
CCTX
AF Newbie

Camry Bumper hit with pics---replace or fix?

Folks,

My 08 Camry got hit by a backing car while it was parked. When I arrived, I found the lady waiting for me and she is kind of a friend! I attached some pics of the hit. I inspected the doors, lights, under the hood and things look ok. She does not have insurance but she promised she would pay the repairs, I don't want to use my insurance unless it is necessary. Now, I took the car to a collision center for an estimate and they wouldn't give an estimate on the spot, they wanted to check if there is any damage when they take the bumper off. I visually inspected under the hood and managed to reach there and I don't see any problems but you never know.

Now, my concern is that I heard that replaced (painted) bumpers usually peel off; happened to a friend. Do you think this bumper can be fixed? and if so will it be completely the same as before the hit?

It is a relatively new car (only 11,000 miles) and I don't want to compromise too much on the look.

Any suugestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated, by the way how much that should cost? The guy was talking about $400-$800 to replace & paint.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image000.jpg (73.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Image001.jpg (80.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Image002.jpg (99.7 KB, 7 views)
CCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Mark Lapes
AF Newbie

Re: Camry Bumper with pics---replace or fix?

Hi

I looked at your pictures. To be honest with you if you can get the bumper replaced and painted for $400 id take it if i was you. The reason why the paint peels off on a used bumper is because the bumper is plasitc and before you shoot it you have put in what is called a flex agent in the paint When you take it to a shop the painter will do this anyway. If you have any questions ill be glad to answer.
Mark Lapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
CCTX
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lapes View Post
Hi

I looked at your pictures. To be honest with you if you can get the bumper replaced and painted for $400 id take it if i was you. The reason why the paint peels off on a used bumper is because the bumper is plasitc and before you shoot it you have put in what is called a flex agent in the paint When you take it to a shop the painter will do this anyway. If you have any questions ill be glad to answer.
Thank you very much for your reply. I checked the OEM bumper and it is $270, so $400 won't be possible. For a job like that (replacing and painting), can you give an estimate?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Mark Lapes
AF Newbie

Hi

Your very welcome, im glad that i can help you. You said that the guy quoted you bwteen $400 - $800? To be honest with you id give the guy the job Its $270 for the bumper. Now you have to add in the materials which is the paint, etc. Then his labor. When he removes the bumper he has to check for hidden damage. If you have more questions ill be happy to help you.
Mark Lapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
CCTX
AF Newbie

Thanks, I ended up quoted for $640 and gave him the job.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
AutoExpertUSA
AF Newbie

Keystone will recondition your origan bumper the # is 909-986-4586. They may already have a reconditioned core in stock!
AutoExpertUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
97TaurusGuy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 97TaurusGuy

Never known anyone to have good luck with the reconditioned bumpers from Keystone...or anything from Keystone for that matter. That bumper should be an easy fix. No need to replace it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network