Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
newmech
AF Newbie

1970 Dodge Daytona

I need to know as much as possible about the 1970's Dodge Daytona before I go and buy mine. My main question is what is the normal size engine for this year.
newmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 1970 Dodge Daytona

Engine options for Daytona were the same as any other Charger. The majority I've ever seen were 440-powered, but a multitude of Hemi cars were made, too. I've seen at least three that came with 340. I don't think I've seen a 318 car, but they were on the option list (WHY??). Don't recall seeing a 383 car, either.

In any case, BIG MONEY for one of these! I've seen the Chargers listed as '69s and the SuperBirds as '70s, but memory says the Chargers were sold in '70 as well. They were a sight to see at speed! One broke the top speed "record" at LeMans in the early '80s. I read a story by a magazine writer that was covering the race. He had never seen a full-sized American car competing there. He said the sound of one of those Hemis coming down the Mulsanne Straight was deafening! 250-plus... They didn't finish well. Good speed but no handling.

JIm
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
newmech
AF Newbie

Hey thx for the information. Any idea where I could find this article I would like to read it now that you mention it.
newmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Either Road & Track or Motor Trend, circa 1983... Can't say for sure, but I had a subscription to both back then, before I gave up magazines...

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical