Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 09:09 AM   #1
ghostrider5778
AF Newbie

Question Engines

Ok I dont even have my permit yet. What exaclty is V-tec, Mugen, Spoon, Type R, and Type S? And which is the best to have in an Integra. thanks

Last edited by ghostrider5778; 09-16-2001 at 01:37 PM.
ghostrider5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 10:34 AM   #2
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

Well, I've driven a base Integra, and I can say that it was about the same as a Civic for performance. Then, a Friend of mine owns a TypeR Integra, and that sucker flys! I don't know what makes the difference, but probably in the cam.

That said, V-tek (to the best of my knowledge) is based on the valves and cam. But, the power from the technology is only utilized over a certain high RPM, and you don't benefit from it when driving normally.

My advice - buy a V8 !

2000 LS8 Sport, 1992 XR7 5.0 HO
MercCougarXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 09:04 PM   #3
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Ummm, yes, a V8.

Anyway, VTEC is variable valve timing and lift. After a certain rpm (some are now continously variable), the cam will either:
1) shift position (move down), increasing rotation (advancing timing) and improving lift.
2) a second cam lobe is utilized, increasing timing and lift
or 3) all of the above.
The advantages are a broad powerband, with more power down low and more up high.

Mugen is a private company that specializes in Honda. They work very closely with honda to make high-performance aftermarket parts.

Spoon: never heard of 'em

Type R: a model designation. Most commonly associated with the Acura Integra Type R. It had 195hp from a 1.8 liter engine. The fastest stock rice rocket at one time.

Type S: a model designation. Most commonly associated with Acura. In teh TL and CL, it has 260hp and a stiffer suspension. In the RSX it has 200hp and a better suspension and a 6-speed manual.

The Integra: The Type R is the best. Otherwise a GS-R with 170hp. The type R has VTEC (I'm not sure about the GS(T??)-R) Mugen parts could be added to increase performance.

You have a lot of learning to do, my son:licker:
Old 10-01-2001, 02:14 PM   #4
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Buy a V-8. I wouldn't want to throw hundreds to thousands of dollars into a little engine to get power out of it. A V-8 wouldn't require all the super complicated technology to put a smile on your face. Besides nothing beats the blat blat noise of a healthy American engine.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 11:03 AM   #5
Chris
Oldie

V8's also have amazing torque low-down, something a four could never have. And it will be cheaper in the long run.

My favorite is a Chrysler Hemi crate engine. It is 528 cubic inches (almost 9 liters!!), pushrod, aluminum, and you supply the carb and intake manifold. It will make about 610hp!! It is about 10 grand.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:31 PM   #6
kazahayastreet
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kazahayastreet
Spoon

Spoon is also a private company which also specializes in Honda cars.
Spoon usually modifies the Civic EG and EK series.I'm not sure whether Spoon really modifies other models within the Honda manufacturing range, but they do supply aftermarket products for Honda engines like forged pistons, forged steel connecting rods and crankshaft. It seem to be a trademark that whenever a car is modified or tuned by Spoon, the car's hood will be painted with non-metallic black color. :smoker:
kazahayastreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 10:57 AM   #7
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
V8's also have amazing torque low-down, something a four could never have. And it will be cheaper in the long run.

My favorite is a Chrysler Hemi crate engine. It is 528 cubic inches (almost 9 liters!!), pushrod, aluminum, and you supply the carb and intake manifold. It will make about 610hp!! It is about 10 grand.
Ohh goodness. :jump:

No argument here. I am not sure where I head this but some guy put a 528 crate Hemi in his Charger with no mods and was getting 642 HP at the wheels. OH MAN I want that engine!!!
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:03 AM   #8
LsvtecHatch
AF Newbie

Since you are looking for an integra, get a Type R, or GSR. Don't get the base models, unless you're going to get an LSVtec or turbo. But I doubt your parents would be up to letting you turbo(insurance would be a bitch), or messing with the engine.
LsvtecHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 05:34 PM   #9
l0gan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to l0gan
tip for ghostrider

hey ghost, you would probably better off getting a v6 or v8 especially if you dont want do a lot of work to your cars... there is hardly any 4 cylinder engines that power fast cars unless you put a lot of time and money into it. You also need to know a ton about your car and the stuff ya wanna do, so my advice is if you dont know what a vtec or a any of these after-market companies are... youd be better off with an american car that has speed stock. Personally I have a honda civic... and its not very cool until you can afford aftermarket stuff. A 1980's mustang would be a cool car that isnt too terribly expensive.
l0gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:15 PM   #10
Chris
Oldie

Its cheap until you factor in insurance, as insurance providers quickly pointed out to me.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:04 AM   #11
l0gan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to l0gan
insurance

insurance doesnt need to know though.... lol

look around im sure you can find some used parts that you wont have to tell the insurance company about
l0gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 12:29 PM   #12
Chris
Oldie

I meant stangs are cheap until insurance. But otherwise, don't mention the upgrades!
Old 01-11-2002, 08:26 PM   #13
GTStang
Stang Guy

Send a message via AIM to GTStang
If your goal is to build a street terror your always better of with a V-8. It is way more cost effective to go by a V-8 and drop the half the cash on each performance part and get double the hp as compared to that 4 banger u'd be trying to squeeze more out of which already from the factory is gettin pushed hard. But you gotta give it to those rice-burners for V-TEC, it's like having 2 totally different cams in one engine, one that gives you great torque and operates in that idle-4,000rpm range and another high lift one that gives you that max horsepower and works in that 4,000 to 7,000 rpm range. Imagine if the built a V-8 with that...... DAMMMM! So with my lil dreaming speach there, I hope that explians V-tec for every1. As for a type R intgera, R stands for Racing, It's the rice rocket kids myth stock car that is Allah or some shit? Well in it's own right it is a quick car no doubt sure to smoke mom's taurus wagon! But put that car next to a stock Mustang GT or even worse a stock Camaro or Firbird with that friggin 351 aluminium block and that Import kid just got a bad taste of reality. Mugen is like Ford Racing or Mopar Performance except it is for Honda. Type S stands for Sport similiar situation as Type R except even more overestimated. Spoon is know for there Spoon engines, it is a honda engine that would be bought like a crate motor
GTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:30 AM   #14
tatt2frk
AF Newbie

I Got a 92' talon with minor upgrades but still a 4-banger. I have no prob. keeping up with a
stock 99' camaro ss with half the cylinders, and better gas mileage. I don't think that u can
compare the 2 it's all in opinion and what u like.
tatt2frk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:03 PM   #15
Chris
Oldie

If you were to put a turbo on a Camaro like your Talon has, then buh-bye. But still, with some basic mods (more boost from a chip, intake, exhaust, etc), then you would have 250hp. And you weigh a little less and have AWD. But a Civic Si is front wheel drive, has no turbo (theres $4000 to get one, and say, 100hp, when it would give a Camaro 200hp), and you still have FWD, so it wouldn't really be able to keep up.

Also, your Talon was made with sporting intentions, a Civic wasn't.

I like V8's, but the cars they've been in that are affordable are kinda big, heavy, and don't handle. And insurance is a lot. Thats why I went after an MR2 S/C or 323 GTX (both sports cars with FI). But Insurance shot me down