Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > General Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General Tools Discussions about tools - there are thousands of various tools you can use to work on your car. Do you have the right one for the job?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
Andydg
AF Enthusiast

What brand do you buy for hand tools?

Last edited by Andydg; 10-19-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Andydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: What brand do you buy for hand tools?

Craftsman. Good quality stuff really. The lifetime warranty really sways me, plus being able to pick the tools up pretty easily and exchange them too.

Snap On has the same lifetime warranty, but you really have to jump through hoops to get a replacement. They ask you how it broke, how you were using it, so on and so forth. Then it takes a two weeks to ship. With Craftsman, walk into the store, here's a new one no questions asked.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
bluevp00
AF Enthusiast

I have no complaints with my Craftsman tools, my socket set is over 10 years old and they still torque and untorque bolts like no other. I know some professional mechanics that swear by Snap-on, for good reason too, but the cost difference of Snap-on tools compared to Craftsman huge.
bluevp00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

I've always relied on Craftsman over the years, but have also owned many sets of way cheaper quality "auto parts stores specials." The Craftsman tools are still around, and I even use Craftsman tools handed down to me from my late father that he purchased back in the 1930's through the 1960's, and they still are going strong. Gotta love their lifetime warranty.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
Bio}{azard
AF Newbie

Craftsman. They warrenty forever, them mean forever.

Just replaced a 15 year old ratchet that they don't even make anymore.
Bio}{azard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
LeSabre97mint
AF Enthusiast

I would like Snap On however, Craftman is in my tool boxes. Along with every thing else in this world, Sears has chosen to have their Craftsman tools made cheeper out of less quality steel. My dad bought a set of CM tools around 1968 and they're still holding up well. I bought a set around 1990 and the edges are showing wear in on the open ends. I'm not complaining (well maybe just a little) like everybody else has said, I do like the warrenty they give and I have used it.

I'm wondering what's going to happen with tool quality with the merger of Kmart and Sears?

Dan

Photos of my repairs: http://dansautopictures.shutterfly.com/
Check this out:http://threewheelmotorcyclemetro.shutterfly.co

A must read about problems Windstars have: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=672854

95 Windstar 240,000+
98 Windstar 136,000+ 09-25-2008.
85 Dodge 1 Ton Snow mover gas hog
91 Mazda Protege free beater
SW MN
LeSabre97mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello

Have any of you heard of SK Tools?

I am going to tech school this fall and they suggested that I buy a certain kit from SK Tools. The guy told me that it has everything that I would need for the time I was attending. But I've never heard of SK Tools and it seems like I can get the same variety of tools from Craftsman for half of the price... And I would only be buying hand tools at this point, so the lifetime warantee is a huge bonus. I will probably go with Craftsman, but I just wanted to know how people felt about SK.
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMaranello
Have any of you heard of SK Tools?

I am going to tech school this fall and they suggested that I buy a certain kit from SK Tools. The guy told me that it has everything that I would need for the time I was attending. But I've never heard of SK Tools and it seems like I can get the same variety of tools from Craftsman for half of the price... And I would only be buying hand tools at this point, so the lifetime warantee is a huge bonus. I will probably go with Craftsman, but I just wanted to know how people felt about SK.
I've heard of them in the past, I think I may have even owned a piece or two from them. I don't see them much around or advertised in my area anymore. Maybe the tech school you are going to has a deal with SK Tools whereas they might get a "kickback" for each student who buys their tools, that is why they might be reccomended. I don't recall having any problems with the tools I did own from them, but like I said in a previous post, I usually buy Craftsman brand. One thing to think about too is that if you buy another brand like SK, how easy would it be to get a replacement for a broken tool? And when you leave school, wherever you are at that point in time, are there locations nearby that carry those tools, or do you have to send it back to the manufacturer.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

SK tools are decent. I use those and Snap On at school. I split an SK 14mm socket pretty easily though.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
yotermanic
AF Regular

I use Matco and Snap-On, depending on which tool guy I like most when I'm buying a set. I've never had any problems getting replacements. I got a full set of craftsman tools when I thought I was only going to be in the trade a year or two, and I'll tell ya this, they're fine for the once or twice a week driveway technician but not for the professional. I broke a couple of fingers snapping sockets on real tight bolts and while I just had to run to Sears to replace them, the fingers cost me a couple thousand in lost wages...your doctor doesn't like you to work with broken fingers apparently.
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #11
blindside.AMG
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to blindside.AMG

I use mostly Snap-on but I go to Sears every now and then to browse and pick up some decent tools at a good price.

I've never had a problem getting a replacement for a broken Snap-on tool like GTmike described. They always seem pretty happy to replace it. One time I was trying to break loose a rusted exhaust bolt....was using a 3/8 swivel extention with a 1/2 adapter on my 24" breaker bar. The Snap-on guy walks by and says, "So that's how those damn things break!!! Well, break it now cuzz I have a couple in my truck." The tool didn't break at that time but I've probably destroyed 3 of those doing the same thing and they always replace it with no problem.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
roadxing
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to roadxing

yeah i buy craftsman, thats about it. they last and when they brake, its no problem replaceing them. i also enjoy snap on and from now and then i get some KD and SK. They all claim they are guarenteed for life, but craftsman is the easiest to replace and the cheapest.
I like the Snap on tools the most but, the price is five times as high. Iv probably broken more Snap on than Craftsman though, i tend to use them on the harder stuff, like a few weaks ago i bent a 1/2 boxed end wrench on a water pump into the shape of a boomeranged its like a novelty piece now, and where do you replace snap on?
roadxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #13
Ncgreasemonkey
AF Newbie

CRAFTSMAN!!! Here in NC, the snap on man comes and goes... a new one every few months, (Primarily becuase of high prices, and the usual, how'd you break this exactly?) but sears is always there. There used to be an independent dealer that sold S&K tools at my dealership, and I bought from him, becuase his warranty was the same as craftsman, no questions asked, he'd warranty pieces that weren't orignally covered, (See the bits provided with that impact screwdriver used for removing those screws fromd drums/rotors.) and his prices were very good. I've noticed recently that sears has begun carryin' S&K, so maybe they'll be warrantying them too.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
wafrederick
Banned

I have Craftsman,Mac,Sk and Snap On and my toolbox is a Mac toolbox.I will not get Matco,there is no dealer in my area and I have heard bad about Matco dealers not coming in.I do have a Snap On dealer in my area.Snap On will not warrenty anything worn out and you have to break the tool to warranty it.This what the previous Snap On dealer my father had told him.This Snap On dealer was kicked out 9 years ago because he did not come in on time and my father hates that.If my father ever has a broken Snap On tool,it now go to the one in my area.Matco is the same,my father had a worn out 10mm socket and the Matco dealer would not warranty it,this was at a Chrysler/Dodge dealer where he once worked at.My father had to break the socket with a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor and a 10mm allen wrench a vice.The Matco dealer did warranty the socket after seeing this done by my father.My father did kick out the Matco dealer when he started running his own shop because the dealer would not replace a broken socket.Matco,Mac and Snap On make the best toolboxes and my father has a Snap On tool box that is about 20 years.It has been tipped and still opens.If it was a Craftsman toolbox,it would of been replaced a lot of times.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
wrenchboss26
AF Regular

i use matco tools. my tool guy is great and warranties without questions, even my taps and dies.
wrenchboss26 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > General Tools