Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
skln09
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to skln09
300ZX N/A...more power!

hello guys, I own a red 1993 5spd 300ZX 2+2 NA....I loooove the car, but I was wondering if it is anyway to increase performance on my car without doing the TT swap or supercharging the VG30DE...I live in Costa Rica, only 18 Z's in the country and I am a lucky one, anyway, what can I do to make my Z faster?!
skln09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: 300ZX N/A...more power!

turbocharge it...

unless you don't want to run a massive shot of nitrous then your n/a isn't going to be fast
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
skln09
AF Newbie

Re: 300ZX NA...more power!

what about the high compression of the engine, I wouldn't be able to run more than 6psi safely, wouldn't I?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

i meant the turbo engine... the 10:1 would limit your boost options... but you'd probably be better off swapping it out for a lower mileage unit anyway.

either way, fast n/a's are few and far between.... the ones that are fast have had way way way way more money put into them than a turbo model of the same power has.
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
skln09
AF Newbie

so there is nothing I can do to improve performance, the only option is the swap?.....it will be hard to get, and the shipment will not be cheap
PD: my engine has 97k on the odo

edit: I found a jdm front clip for $2,200, plus $550 to ship it to Katy, Texas where I have family, we are talking $2,750, then I have to pay shipment to Costa Rica and I have no idea how to get a price on that, and then I have to pay taxes for the thing whent it enters the country, then I have to get the custom drive shaft that goes for $285 and the exhaust that I dont know for how much it runs, so to summarize:

JDM front clip.....$2750
Driveshaft...........$285
Exhaust..............$500
Total................$3535 + shipping and taxes= around $4500

I paid $6000 for the car, so we are looking at maybe $11500 for a 2+2 TT (labor included, it is VERY cheap down hear and I will put many hours on it also but cannot do it myself) I am sure I can sell the VG30DE with the tranny and get some cash back......most important thing; it would be the only NA to TT swap in the country!!...of course this is a long term project haha

Last edited by skln09; 06-11-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

that's true... if you're not worried about the money, you could always rebuild the engine with super high compression pistons (12:1 or so) put some hot hot cams in there and do the rest of the supporting mods.... it'll cost you a crapload of money, especially for the high comp pistons and the tuning, but it'd be a pretty mean n/a setup. That being said you still wouldn't be pushing more than 325-350whp at best...

for making big power in the long run, the turbo engine is always a better option, it just depends how much you're looking for, and how much you're willing to spend to get it started.
ZedEx Crew Member #6

Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

You can break 400WHP with a NA Z.... it would cost close to 20K but it can be done.

Stroker kit, Higher compression pistons, agressive street port and polish, HUGE cams, Test-pipes, headers. Larger throttlebodies, TT injectors. Electric fan, underdrive pulleys, oh and a ECU upgrade.

You could break 500WHP with the help of NO2. A 100shot on top of all that and it might make 4 passes in a quater mile before it needs a teardown and rebuild.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
skln09
AF Newbie

thanks for the info, 20k is way too much to spend on my NA,I think I'll go with the swap in the long run
Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
robzone0911
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skln09
so there is nothing I can do to improve performance, the only option is the swap?.....it will be hard to get, and the shipment will not be cheap
PD: my engine has 97k on the odo

edit: I found a jdm front clip for $2,200, plus $550 to ship it to Katy, Texas where I have family, we are talking $2,750, then I have to pay shipment to Costa Rica and I have no idea how to get a price on that, and then I have to pay taxes for the thing whent it enters the country, then I have to get the custom drive shaft that goes for $285 and the exhaust that I dont know for how much it runs, so to summarize:

JDM front clip.....$2750
Driveshaft...........$285
Exhaust..............$500
Total................$3535 + shipping and taxes= around $4500

I paid $6000 for the car, so we are looking at maybe $11500 for a 2+2 TT (labor included, it is VERY cheap down hear and I will put many hours on it also but cannot do it myself) I am sure I can sell the VG30DE with the tranny and get some cash back......most important thing; it would be the only NA to TT swap in the country!!...of course this is a long term project haha
I am doing a TT swap on my convertible, and just to let you know. It's a wiring nightmare if you aren't sure what you are doing. I should finish mine in about another week. If you have any questions just let me know.

robzone0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
skln09
AF Newbie

Here are some pics of my Z, it is completelys stock, exept for the radio haha, it came with the car

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

I learned this awhile ago. Your wheels are on the wrong sides.

But looks good.

Just realized I still havent taken a more recent pic of my Z with the wheels on right. My front wheels are correct my rear wheels are on the wrong sides in the top picture.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 AM   #12
skln09
AF Newbie

haha really?? so left front should be switched with right front, and left rear should be switched with right rear?..how can u tell hodo?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

yep, they just need to be flipped sides. But make sure your tires arent directional otherwise you will have to remount and balance your tires and put them on right too. But you can tell by the pattern of the spokes. They should look like they are fanning foward, like my front wheels in my sig. Not fanning back like my rear wheels in my sig.

Side note, I knew there was a reason why I left the signature that way. To show the wrong and right ways for the rims to be on a Z32. At least thats my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
blingboy69
AF Newbie

Damn mine are wrong too. But hopefully i wont have them for long
blingboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #15
ginsu2death
AF Newbie

-550cc Injectors (TT versions stillen makes them so does RC Engineering)
-Individual throttle bodies 55mm which gives you about a 330mm throttle body overall. (Universal Kit)
-Unorthodox Ultra SS pulleys
-Adj Fuel Pressure Regulator (AEM Univ. Or Nismo Upgrade)
-Stillen Engine Damper (Helps transfer the power to the wheels and also fixes power steering hose kinking problem)
-Weight Reduction, just rip extra interior parts out 300zx's weigh about 3900lbs.
-Larger Intake manifold through street concepts (scpower.com)
-Larger Cams/ Adj Cam gears.
Flash the Ecu or get a Standalone and you should be in about the 400hp range.
ginsu2death is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)