Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
View Poll Results: Who is the Idiot?
Corvette Guy (Me) 7 58.33%
Viper Guy 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 09:32 PM   #16
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

tough choice

i believe that viper guy is the idiot by far! mostly because you are just having fun and are right. and we are the same age but i haven't driven either of those cars and i hate you for that. and viper guy swore a lot. and i have never heard of a stock viper that isn't already modded that trots to 60 in 3.9, at least not one that is comparable to a 40 grand vette. vipers are harsh, VETTE'S rule!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vette.jpg (41.4 KB, 149 views)
Old 06-18-2001, 06:58 PM   #17
Y2K C5
AF Newbie

Corvette is Americas' sports car because it has withstood the test of time. Imagine the Viper having to undergo the harsh EPA standardizing of the early to mid 80's. The line probably would have vanished. The corvette being what it is, bounced back well and has evolved into a true performance car. The Viper got the fortunate birth of starting out as a true performance car.
I'l not knock the Viper, as I understand and like the car. It simply doesn't have and never will have the one thing the Corvette will always have..........heritage.
Corvette, approaching 50 years and still going strong!!!
Old 06-19-2001, 05:01 PM   #18
vettemaan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to vettemaan Send a message via AIM to vettemaan
this is in reply to whoever wanted to know the C5-R stats,

The C5-R can be tuned to have over 700 Horsepower, but it all depends on the race, there is not always one gear set up, it depends on the race, at sebrin their top speed was around 150 and they ran 95 octane, you just never know.

im sure with a good set up the C5-R could run high 9's
Old 06-26-2001, 01:19 PM   #19
Tay Jay
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tay Jay
Quote:
Originally posted by vettemaan
this is in reply to whoever wanted to know the C5-R stats,

The C5-R can be tuned to have over 700 Horsepower, but it all depends on the race, there is not always one gear set up, it depends on the race, at sebrin their top speed was around 150 and they ran 95 octane, you just never know.

im sure with a good set up the C5-R could run high 9's

Sorry but your wrong, the C5-R does have over 700hp!
But due to drive train loss it is rated at 6 hundred and some.

PS: The viper will never become "america's sports car" as long as Corvette is still there. Viper has 40 some years to make up, and with corvette still around they CAN'T make up 40 years.

They are a helluva a car, I wouldn't mind one.

Vipers get like 8 mpg, not because of the car but because of a heavy foot owners have

No matter how fast the top speed is on a road course car, it doesn't matter. Handling is what matters. AS long as you have "good speed" with Great Handling you'll be a winner.

So who cares if the Viper goes 235. It will never reach that speed in a real road race.

Hell you could gear a honda civic to go up to 300mph, .002 gears

This guy is getting his numbers from a magazine, and we all know magazines are 100% accurate

P255/50ZR16:Michelin Pilot XGT/Z4s: Muffler Elims, Rear Crossover Y-pipe , K&N Air Filter, Throttle Body Air Foil

Soon To Come- 2006 C6 Coupe, as self/graduation present.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:41 PM   #20
carz
AF Enthusiast

hehe:
Heres the street verision of the C-5R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svettephoto12_lg.jpg (57.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 07-11-2001, 03:41 AM   #21
vettemaan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to vettemaan Send a message via AIM to vettemaan
they arent making that anymore
Old 07-16-2001, 10:27 PM   #22
psycovette
AF Newbie

I think its like comparing apples and oranges

First off, a C5 is the first domestic sportscar I have ever owned, I have done mainly Datsuns Z's and Jag E's. I was looking for a newer performance car arround 99. I testdrove two used cars at first. One was a Mazda RX-7 TT and the other was a 93 Viper Rt/10. They both had their own uniquieness to them. The Rx-7 seemed more agile and refined but is not as fast as the viper of course. The Viper was fast but it had a rigidity to it that I did not like. Plus I am tall and my right leg was pressed against the transmision tunnel. I would rather have the viper for the Exoctic looks of the thing and it was with in my price range at 39K. But one day I saw a Corvette in the window of the Chevy dealer and decided to stop and check it out just for curiosity. I was sure I was not going to be impressed with it because I was baseing my opinion off of the F-bodies. When I saw it in show room I looked at it and thought that it looked refined like an RX-7 but had the exotic head turning look to it as well. Haveing not driven it I was still skeptical. The Salesman thought I was rich because I pulled up in my E-type roadster so he was real accomodating. I told him I was looking at buying a used viper for arround the price of the vette, and was not sure if I wanted to even concider it. It turned that they had a used 98 that in their back, and he was more than willing to let me spin it arround the block.

After driving it arround for ten minutes I was sold on the car. I told him I want look into it. I looked at the brouchere and noticed that you could get a hardtop with the 6 speed and the sport suspension standard at a base price of 36K. I told him if could secure me the car for 1000 less then msrp with the options that I wanted I would bring in a depostit. He said he didnt know if he could work that out but he said he would get back with me. Two days later he calls me and says as long as they get a 99 allocation vs 2000 one he could get me the car 2000 less then msrp as a way to sell out their allotments for the year. I of course became the proud owner of a Tourch red Hardtop 3 months later.

Vipers are cool and they will burn a Vette zero to sixty, but for overall value and performance you dont get much more buck than what you get from a Vette.
62 Mk 10(GrandFather to the XJ8)
96 Saturn SL-2

Last edited by psycovette; 07-16-2001 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:31 PM   #23
Y2K C5
AF Newbie

Very well said!!
Old 07-20-2001, 12:09 PM   #24
carz
AF Enthusiast

Y2K C5 I thought you had over a 100 posts what happened man???????
Old 07-20-2001, 06:30 PM   #25
Y2KC5
AF Newbie

For some reason, I had to re-register yesterday. I tried to get around doing it, but the crazy thing wouldn't let me in without re-registering first. So i'm back to square one. The day before, the board was down. I couldn't get it to even come up, so I think that had something to do with it.

Notice it says "banned" under my board name. I've never said a cross word to anyone here. So much for being Mr. Niceguy.

Too many toys, not enough time!
Old 08-19-2001, 07:33 PM   #26
SCR4248
AF Newbie

im sorry, but the stats point way to the viper. also...you see so many corvettes on the road, so that they've become the mid-life crisis car to get. vipers just look SO much cooler IMO and they stand out better. vette's are still good, but .. OUT WITH THE OLD IN WITH THE NEW SHIT
Old 08-20-2001, 01:56 PM   #27
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

Have some respect for an automotive icon known throughout the world as the greatest sports car to come out of the US. i doubt the viper could go through everything that the vette has and still be around a succeed too.
Old 11-24-2001, 03:42 AM   #28
z28pwr
AF Newbie

Man I'd really break this guys bubble if he knew that my camaro with ported polished heads and cam kicks a Vipers @$$ and the car new was 22K and 6K in heads/cam. Did I mention this was my daily driver

But hey for those extra 52K you can get a nice body and better handling.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:42 PM   #29
SCR4248
AF Newbie

yea right dog, the vette in no way looks better than a viper, thats all opinion .. and judging by the stats, the viper IS the better car, so dumbass corvette boy, you're the idiot
Old 11-27-2001, 12:19 PM   #30
bluevette74
Banned

At away scr4 i love guys who cant backup their comments, it just shows how uneducated you are. And you cant really tell some one that the viper is better looking than the vette, its all opinion! I have a 74 stingray and if you look at it, it resembles the viper. So maybe dodge took the stingray and did alittle modifications, and what do yah know the viper was formed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corvette.jpg (52.2 KB, 82 views)