Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Plasma1010
AF Newbie

Drums and Brake Shoes on 91 Prizm

Okay so I did my own front brake pads and rotors which was pretty easy, but I bought rear brake pads and rotors from AutoZone ... To realize I need Drums and Brake Pad Shoes. Anyhow I have no idea how to do the drums and shoes, does anyone have an informative video or advice ?

Also, my E-Brake seems a bit lame. I need advice on how to correct that as well.

Thx.
Plasma1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Drums and Brake Shoes on 91 Prizm

does it have drum or disc rear brakes, if its disc you need to screw the puck back into the caliper
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Plasma1010
AF Newbie

Yeah its drums I need. I had assumes the front and back would both be the same, but apparently the front is discs and pads and the rear is drums and shoes. Never did the drums and shoes before so thats where I need a little help / advice. Here is a pic of rear...

I also found this video, looks pretty good ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MCpCkun2qxA
Plasma1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Crvett69
AF Moderator

to remove the drum take the emergency brake off then use 2 bolts of the right thread in the 2 holes. as you tighten them it will force the drum off the hub until you can remove it by hand. once you get it off you can inspect the shoes and drum and see what needs replacing. also check wheel cyl and make sure its not leaking. if the springs look rusty i would recomend getting a drum brake hardware kit for your car, its only about $10 for both sides usually. when you start removing the springs and clips only do one side of the car at a time, that way if you forget where something goes you can look at the other side
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Nova | Prizm | Spectrum | Sprint