Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Cessnadriver
AF Newbie

2000 SEL ABS Light problem

My wife's 2000 Windstar SEL has had an ABS light on almost every time she drives it for nearly a year. Last week, I relined the rear brakes, and inspected the fronts. I cleaned all the speed sensors and rings, and found nothing that looked concerning. The reservoir is right at the full mark as well.
I took it over to O'Reillys while the light was on and had them read the codes (my reader won't do ABS) and it called out every sensor in the book (9 of them).
Since I don't think I have 9 bad components, I'm thinking it must be the ABS computer.
Does anyone here have experience with the ABS system on these cars, and where is the ABS control module. I have been told that it's underneath the driver's seat, possibly under the vehicle. Also I have been told it's under the hood, on the inner fender.

Any info would be appreciated.
Cessnadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: 2000 SEL ABS Light problem

The PCM (Pwertrain control module) is in a slot, under the hood, near the right hinge.

The ABS control module is mounted to the underbody, beneath the driver seat area.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Cessnadriver
AF Newbie

Thanks, 12Ounce. Have you heard of any problems with these units?
There are a couple of u-pull it yards in Atlanta that show having 2000 Windstars on hand. If they are not too pricey, I may just go get one and try it.
Cessnadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I consider the PCM bullet-proof ... I have never had any problem with it. But the ABS controller is a different issue ... I think I am on my third. Some folks have had success resoldering various joints, but not me. Its a rather pricey item on the market ... hope you have success with the bone-yard.

You may want to have someone do a "down-town" survey of the circuit to see if the controller is the problem. The dealer that sold me the unit did the circuit-read and found the controller at fault.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Have you tried to resolder one at least? I had great success with mine. In fact, it's a pretty good fix if you do it well. Some conformal coating on the joints should make them stronger than when they were new.

I'll resolder yours if you help me when the timing cover gasket finally leaks on mine! (Fine for now, knock on wood...)
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

The Windstar's ABS controller is under the van, beneath the driver's seat.

Yes, ABS controller failures on common on this series of Windstar.

I replaced my module with a new module from Ford - and my ABS has been fine ever since.

Today, there are now repair services that can fix your ABS module. I've not done this myself - but I know of others who have gone this route on non-Ford vehicles, and it worked for them. To get started, go to eBay and search on "windstar abs module repair".

Important: Note that it is possible to replace the Windstar ABS module electronics *without* breaking into hydraulic lines (which means the van can be driven while the module is out). I did it this way. This is not a DIY job for the beginner, but it can be done.

Further details: I have heard that the repair services I mentioned above fix certain problematic solder joints on the printed circuit board within the controller. However, the board is very well sealed in a plastic enclosure that must be cut apart to access the internals. Just for fun, I cut open my old module - and damaged the board in the process. A first-timer would need good tools and patience to successfully open the controller, find and repair the problem, and seal it back up properly.
phil-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

I cut mine open with a dremel; wasn't difficult at all. Just cut a little ways in and go slowly. Retouch the solder joints, let them cool, dab with a little conformal coating, epoxy the cover back on, and you're back in business.

Yes, you can remove it without disconnecting the HCU *if* your van isn't from Chicago and the fasteners are rusted in. In my case, it was impossible, and I had to pull the whole thing down. Removing the rusted torx screws was actually the most challenging part for me! (and screwing those brake lines back in. what a pain.)
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Searles Lewis
AF Regular

Smile Re: 2000 SEL ABS Light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-l View Post
The Windstar's ABS controller is under the van, beneath the driver's seat.

Yes, ABS controller failures on common on this series of Windstar.

I replaced my module with a new module from Ford - and my ABS has been fine ever since..

I have this, and it has been listed on this forum, along with random electronic failures, all of the time. Mine happens at random, so I tend to ignore it now. After I replaced most of the cheap fuses in the relay box, the "haunted" Windstar effect people talk about disappeared. It only occurs when the battery terminal thing happens, until it resolves.
Searles Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubacat View Post
I cut mine open with a dremel; wasn't difficult at all. Just cut a little ways in and go slowly.
Scubacat -

Did you take pictures of your ABS module repair project? I'd love to see what you did inside of the module.

Phil

P.S. Yes, you're right about the Torx bolts and the module. Mine wasn't too badly corroded; only one of the Torx bolts broke. Thankfully, the head broke off - so I could remove the module - and enough of the stud remained that I was able to get it out while leaving the hydraulics in place (yes, I got lucky with which Torx bolt broke and where it was located).
phil-l is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar