Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
jfreak53
AF Newbie

Oil question

Ok I have heard to change the viscosity of the oil you use on older higher mileage cars. I have a 1997 GMC Sierra that has 196 on it, the car calls for 5W-30, but I remember someone telling me once to put 10 in it since it's older and higher mileage? What's the thoughts?

I also live in Guatemala Central America right now with it and it's about 70 to 80 every day, not like texas though, it's not scorching, no humidity.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
jfreak53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Oil question

The decision to use thicker oil on high mileage vehicles all depends on oil pressure.
If the pressure is good, especially at hot idle in gear, then there is no need for thicker oil.
Do you have a factory pressure gauge? What does it say? If the pressure is low at hot idel then increases a lot when you rev the engine a bit, then you probably have a worn oilpump and/or excessive bearing clearances due to wear, and thicker oil will help.

If the idle pressure is good with minimal increase as revs increase, then there is no need for thicker oil.

If you are in doubt, install an accurate auxiliary mechanical gauge and see what that reads. A hot idle of 20+ psi is adequate, while 35+ at higher revs is fine.

Finally, 10W 30 is not particularly thick, especially for your climate. Using 10W 30 will not cause any harm. But 5w 30 will give you slightly better gas mileage, simply because it produces slightly less drag on the oil pump, and it lubes slightly better during a cold start.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
jdmccright
The RustBuster

The only difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30 is their viscosity when cold. 5W is easier to pump when cold, thus it gets circulated slightly faster. But once it is hot, both will perform the same as a 30-weight viscosity oil.

In your climate, you should not have to worry about lack of lubrication due to slow circulation from cold oil, so you could probably use 10W-30. Indeed, many truck owner's manuals for that era allow the use of 10W-30 for operating environments that stay above 20°F or so. Check your manual.

For older vehicles, the switch to thicker oil by some is typically to reduce the amount that leaks out from seals when the vehicle is sitting and off. Thicker oil drips out more slowly.

Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
jfreak53
AF Newbie

Great, thanks for all the advise guys. I'm going with 10 probably since it's harder to find 5 anyways ha ha. Thanks a lot.
jfreak53 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical