Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
jckinnick
AF Newbie

Do i need an oil change?

I wasnt sure which section to post this in.

I own a 2002 Toyota Tacoma, automatic transmission, V6, 120,000 miles

The last time i had an oil change was in early December of 2009, since then i have drove my care once a week for the last 6 months. Should i go by the mileage or the month date on the oil change sticker? The month date says February but the mileage is still good. Can the oil go bad?

Usually i get an oil change every 3,000 to 5,000 miles but i have been out of work since December of 2009.
jckinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Do i need an oil change?

Oil does not go bad. Some of the additives may disperse over time, but that is not a big concern.

The real concern is the length of your weekly trips. Short trips are actually worse for oil than long ones. Short trips means the engine is cold. Short trips means a richer running engine, with more hydrocarbons, byproducts and condensation contaminating the oil.

Long trips(even once a week) means the oil gets hot and can 'boil-off' these contaminents, which keeps the oil working effectively.

So if you just have short trips since December, say 1/2 hour or less, then change the oil. If the trips have consistently been longer, say 45 min or more, then its less imperitive to change the oil. But new oil is pretty cheap, so if in doubt, change the oil and filter.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
jckinnick
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
Oil does not go bad. Some of the additives may disperse over time, but that is not a big concern.

The real concern is the length of your weekly trips. Short trips are actually worse for oil than long ones. Short trips means the engine is cold. Short trips means a richer running engine, with more hydrocarbons, byproducts and condensation contaminating the oil.

Long trips(even once a week) means the oil gets hot and can 'boil-off' these contaminents, which keeps the oil working effectively.

So if you just have short trips since December, say 1/2 hour or less, then change the oil. If the trips have consistently been longer, say 45 min or more, then its less imperitive to change the oil. But new oil is pretty cheap, so if in doubt, change the oil and filter.

For about 4 of those months i traveled a little over 30 minutes one way once a week. Also i added some of that STP Oil Treatment about a month ago if that helped anything.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
jckinnick
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post

For about 4 of those months i traveled a little over 30 minutes one way once a week. Also i added some of that STP Oil Treatment about a month ago if that helped anything.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical