Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:49 AM   #1
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan
Steve Kinser - Bass Pro Shops Sprint Car

Hi all,

One week ago I received news that the king of Sprint car racing is coming downunder to New Zealand to run, and he is racing at my local track. It's not every weekend that Steve Kinser shows up on my doorstep so I got online, ordered up a kit to build and have signed.

Hobbylink Japan had them in stock as always so I headed on over to Steve Kinser Sprintcar kitset and here it is.

I knew it was a re-casting of the older Quaker state issue so there are some problems with the old wheels, and front wing being straight out of the 80s. I headed to The Parts Box (The Parts Box) and ordered up a more modern set of wheels, and front wing. I also have a set of photoetch disc brakes from Dirt Modeler (Dirt Modeler Website) and the photoetch Kirky racing seat that will go in the car. More of those photos to come.

In the meantime here is the wheels and kit, time to get building!

As soon as this build is done up I shall be heading back to continue on my Jackie Stewart Tyrrell 002, a little unexpected to have this build pop up but that is part of the fun.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #2
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan
Re: Steve Kinser - Bass Pro Shops Sprint Car

A little progress on things. Chassis has been put together, this particular one was nice and straight. Last time I remember building a Swindell car it was quite twisted so very happy. This time round I am detailing the car with some photoetch parts courtesy of Dirtmodeler in the form of seat, linkage, and brakes.

The kit is a 1987 issue seat so it just won't cut it. Tonight I formed the seat, painted tail tank, and have the firewall finished and ready for detailing. Engine has started going together so that is all in the next update. Here are a few photos of the photoetch that is going into the car. Amazing quality and the beautiful wheels are courtesy of Tristan at The Parts Box

Both the photoetch and wheels were created out of a lack of aftermarket parts for re-creating these modern machines, thus builders took it upon themselves to create this stuff so I am really looking forward to finally using it all over a year after purchasing it all.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Interesting concept, never heard of sprint car racing before. Looks quite cool, may I ask what purpose the large "roof"-like wing has for the car? Is it there to create some down force or is it merely protection for the driver?
joelwideqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
WRCfan
AF Regular

The cars run on a dirt oval and rely on the top wing for downforce.

Little video below which shows a bit of an insight with some funky camera work. More progress shots coming tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPX1qQG-bGU
Old 11-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
WRCfan
AF Regular

A bit of progress. I have been assembling as much of the kit and painting stuff as possible. I have started assembling a little bit of it now. Tail tank has been sanded and painted, engine is together as well. I will add some detail to the engine.

I have done up the kit wheels as due to time restraints to get it finished I can't fit the wheels I want to in time. I will do them up later and add them to the kit.

Feedback welcome!

Old 11-18-2015, 02:39 AM   #6
circuitR
AF Enthusiast

Looking good Aaron! I've just came across the parts box through BNA world. They do some cool stuff!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
ChristopheB
AF Enthusiast

Nice work so far, keep on posting!

ChristopheB is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports