Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Olivia1234
AF Newbie

Ford Focus 'stalling' problems after driving off curb

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can offer a bit of insight before I take my car back to the garage please.

A couple months back I had the solenoid replaced on the car and then it was fine. But then someone (not me!) drove my car off a large curb at speed. After that the car was 'shuddering' on start up and seemed like it wanted to stall, but didn't. It did this more when the car was already warm, say if I'd driven to the store, turned the car off for 20 mins, and then started up again. I took it to the garage and they replaced the pvc hose (they said the valve was fine) which had a hole in it.

The car was ok at first but started shuddering again a few days later and is getting worse. There is a smell of perhaps fuel as well. It hasn't actually stalled but feels like it really wants to. Now it doesn't seem to matter if it's warm or not.

It's a Ford Focus wagon, 2002, 135k with recently replaced solenoid, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs.

Can anyone offer suggestions of what it might be?

Thanks for your help!
Olivia1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Ford Focus 'stalling' problems after driving off curb

I would suggest you start by taking a look underneath the car to see if there are any obvious signs of damage. Possibly driving off the curb collapsed a portion of the exhaust, restricting the ability of the engine to breath. Also look for signs of impact to the catalytic converter(s). If they were impacted, the internals could have come loose and may be restricting flow as well.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Olivia1234
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I would suggest you start by taking a look underneath the car to see if there are any obvious signs of damage. Possibly driving off the curb collapsed a portion of the exhaust, restricting the ability of the engine to breath. Also look for signs of impact to the catalytic converter(s). If they were impacted, the internals could have come loose and may be restricting flow as well.

-Rod
Ok thanks. It seems to be much worse when it's raining. It was really bad when I wrote my post and it was raining a lot. It's been dry for the last couple of days and no problems at all! Could that be related, or give an indication of what it might be?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Get a spray bottle and wet down the ignition coil and plug wires. Look for sparks jumping (much easier to see at night). I've seen several Focuses with cracked coils that acted up in the rain. If you don't see anything wrong, try misting some other electronics/wires until the car starts acting up.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Olivia1234
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
Get a spray bottle and wet down the ignition coil and plug wires. Look for sparks jumping (much easier to see at night). I've seen several Focuses with cracked coils that acted up in the rain. If you don't see anything wrong, try misting some other electronics/wires until the car starts acting up.
Turns out the valve seat went in the cylinder head. Smashed to pieces. Here's a photo.

They've told me a 2nd hand cylinder head won't be good enough and it needs a new one and they need inspect the piston. The other option is a new engine. Both very expensive options. How bad does it look to you?

I'm considering just donating it to charity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car.jpg (147.2 KB, 6 views)