Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting
Exterior | bodykits | Lighting When your ready to showoff that 'H' ride, here's your forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
waheed420
AF Newbie

Exclamation 94 civic halo headlights issue. Please help!

I recently purchased
SONAR SK3302-CV92 SAE HRAPP2I3 H1VOL.
I bought these headlights for a 1994 Civic. They are black halo projector headlights and I was looking to put HID bulbs in them. I'm not sure if these will work with HID. I've heard different things, some say they will others say they won't. If you think they will work, what kind of bulbs would you recommend? Any help would nice. Thanks.
waheed420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44
Re: 94 civic halo headlights issue. Please help!

Most halos come with low quality projectors in them. The beam pattern is usually horrible. Plus they're built for halogen bulbs and putting HID inthere won't do you much good. You'll have the same bad beam pattern, the beam will just be brighter.

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #3
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

I've seen people put HID's into halo's before so it's certainly doable. You'll loose your high beams though if you put on an HID kit. I don't know about you but I sometimes need my high beams on dark back roads in bad weather. For plug and play HID's, you'll need the plug for the car to hook up the ballast/ignitor to the car headlight plug so it will turn on. The bulbs will NOT be for the OEM bulb, they will be the projector bulb type, which on sonar should be H1 for low beams. If you like putting on HID's, I hate plug and play HID kits. The OEM wiring isn't made to handle the high load the HID's pull on START UP. Once they are going true, they use less energy, but they pull way more than halogens to start and over time it can erode the small oem wiring. It's a better idea to power them using relays, but that can get complex you you have no idea what your doing. For someone that knows car electrical it shouldn't be too hard though.

As for bulbs, try reading. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on bulbs. Read it. I suggest good aftermarket bulbs and not HIDs. Yes, it is possible to put in HIDs. Lots of people have done it. I suggest you save your money, stay legal. Read my sticky for bulb info. It's very informative. and check your other thread too for info on how to aim the headlights. BTW, not to rain on your parade, but sonar makes poor qaulity headlights. Try to law off the high beams unless you really need them. The wiring inside is ran badly and can overheat and fry things like the halos out.

AFTERMARKET BULBS: COLOR TEMPERATURE AND USABLE LIGHT OUTPUT
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=298500

It's just that easy folks... mind the forum guidelines and we're cool.
Empty Pockets Racing Member #6
EPR Member 4 Life
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
I've seen people put HID's into halo's before so it's certainly doable.
But in retro jobs right? I bought some projectors a few years ago when halos became teh shizz. I couldn't see anything so I got an HID kit, but it still sucked so now I have black OEM with HID.

I got some A6 projectors to retro into the projector housing, but I haven't had the time/proper materials to do it yet.

00accord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
waheed420
AF Newbie

Alright, I get how the HIDs work now, and the relay idea sounds good too. But you said that I'd lose the high beams, why's that? Wouldn't it be possible to just keep the high beams with regular halogens instead?
waheed420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #6
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by waheed420
Alright, I get how the HIDs work now, and the relay idea sounds good too. But you said that I'd lose the high beams, why's that? Wouldn't it be possible to just keep the high beams with regular halogens instead?
The halogen high bulbs will fit, but they won't turn on or be wired up if u put projectors in. Usually, the ignitor/ballast plugs into the OEM harness. That first of all, means that harness plugs into the ballast/ingintor and not the projector harness plug. So you won't have wiring to high beams...meaning...they won't turn on. You'd have to fabricate and re-wire stuff to even try to get it to work. You're best bet would be the use of relays and diodes to achive what you want. If you just go plug and play though, you'll have no high beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00accord44
But in retro jobs right? I bought some projectors a few years ago when halos became teh shizz. I couldn't see anything so I got an HID kit, but it still sucked so now I have black OEM with HID.

I got some A6 projectors to retro into the projector housing, but I haven't had the time/proper materials to do it yet.
No, I've seen people put HID's in regular projectors several times. Heck, Silverbolt, another mod around here, had HID's in projectors on the civic he used to own (not a retrofit). Never drove them so I can't say how well it lit up the road though. Heck, I've seen some retrofits with crappy output cuz the headlight housing wasn't made for it, they were too fat back , etc.

I have halo projectors, had em since like 2001 or whenever the first came out. The output sucked at first. Then I put in PIAA Super Plasmas (now I use the Super Plasma GT-X since it replaced the old ones). I re-aimed the lights. Put in Some PIAA Extreme White high beams. I have great headlight output. Lights up the road great. IDK, I don't have sonar projectors though, It's Denji. Same brand Silverbolt had...hooked up with relays and stuff...The OEM wiring is just the trigger. ..the on/off switch. If you ever retro fit em let me know how it goes. I have no intention of retrofitting mine. I doubt I'll even do HIDs. Low beam output is great with the PIAA's, and the high beams light up the road like man. IDK, I had a pair before these (another brand, they fried in 12 hours) and the output sucked. Didn't use PIAA bulbs either though, a mistake.But even great bulbs wouldn't have helped that pair much. Not all projectors are created eqaul. I'll tell you though. I've loaded regular bulbs into my current one and the output isn't as nice at all. But then again, regular H3 bulbs suck. Those PIAA bulbs helped a ton. They are all I'll run. Heck, I always have a spare pair around the garage.

It's just that easy folks... mind the forum guidelines and we're cool.
Empty Pockets Racing Member #6
EPR Member 4 Life
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
sabjork
AF Newbie

I put the 6000K 75watt HIDS in the Sonar CV-92 Aftermarket Projectors Headlight assembly, the low beam only and you do not lose your High beams if you do it this way. No melting, No problems.

Instead of connecting the ballast to the factory connecter, pull out the low beam blue black wires from the stock H1 and run those to the ballast. That is all there is to it. I use the factory wiring and it works perfectly. I have halogen HIGH beams and HID low beams. I have had no problems with HID in the projectors. They look very cool, our super bright, and I did not have to make any adjustments to the beam. Being careful however, if I decided to purchase a relay harness from HIDgeeks.com for about $9.00. This enables the HIDs to be powered directly from the car battery and not go through the factory wiring. It just seemed like a good idea for not very much money and the installation was very simple. You just hookup either right or left blue-black H1 wire to the relay and that triggers the relay to put the juice from the battery to the ballast. Just be careful that all wires are secured away from the any moving parts like the fan belt or the AC belt or the exhaust manifold.

Although that the housing says do not use HID’s, the sticker is put on the high beam module. I think the reason for this is that the high beam uses a plastic reflector and the bulb sits very close to it. I would not attempt to use HID in the high beam slot. I put in the silverStar H1 in the high beam slot, and it works perfectly with the HID low beams. I am very pleased with it. I purchased the whole kit for about $55 from ddmtuning.com.
sabjork is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting