Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Sloforo
AF Newbie

Question Oil pressure light goes off when I'm driving downhill (Audi 80)

Hello. When I'm driving my 1992 Audi 80 2.0 downhill, my oil pressure warning light goes off, along whit the warning sound. It has happened about five times now. This started about a week after i filled it up with more oil. Anyone knows what could be the problem?

Thank you
Sloforo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Selectron
AF Enthusiast

Re: Oil pressure light goes off when I'm driving downhill (Audi 80)

Hi, welcome to the forum. It sounds like the oil level is low, so check the level again on the oil dipstick. The apparent oil level will shift when the car travels uphill, downhill, or around a corner, and if the level is low then the warning light might illuminate on those occasions, extinguishing when the car is back on level ground and travelling in a straight line. Check the level.
Selectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Sloforo
AF Newbie

First of all, thank you.
The oil level is over half full, so I doubt that that's the problem.

But is it dangerous to the engine? We are talking about a period of 3-5 seconds, and I use the clutch so it runs on just 900-1000 rpm when it happens. So can i use the car until i get it fixed?
Sloforo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloforo View Post
First of all, thank you.
The oil level is over half full, so I doubt that that's the problem.

But is it dangerous to the engine? We are talking about a period of 3-5 seconds, and I use the clutch so it runs on just 900-1000 rpm when it happens. So can i use the car until i get it fixed?
Not really familiar with the Audi's but your car may have a oil level sensor that might be bad causing the light to go off.

You may also want to install a manual oil pressure gauge to see what the actual oil pressure is when this happens.
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

The oil level should not be " half-full " but rather should be measured on the dipstick and fall within the " safe " level . Anytime the " low oil pressure " light is activated , it's telling you your engine is close to the failure level because of low ( insufficient ) oil pressure and engine damage is imminent ! Any time the oil pressure is low enough to activate the " light " , the possibility of engine damage occurring at that time is high ! Even a period of 3-5 seconds can be long enough to do major damage . Remember , the oil in the engine is basically the same as the blood in your body . If you suffer an injury and lose half your blood , the chance of you dying is very great ! The same can be said about your engine and a low oil level ! Getting the engine to idle speed during this " light on " occurrence might help minutely but the engine really should be shut off till the problem is remedied ! You are " flirting " with major engine damage !

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
audi , downhill , oil , pressure , warning
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical