Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
pintojoe
AF Newbie

transmission or transfer case?

I have an 08 explorer 4x4, when I put it in 4 auto or 4 high it's like it's in neutral in all gears (wont move) then I put it in 4 low and it KICKS in and works fine, so it only moves in 4 low, if I push 4 auto or 4 high it does nothing but rev up when I hit the gas in all gears and when I put it in park it grinds as if I was moving
pintojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
kenman1717
AF Regular

Re: transmission or transfer case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintojoe View Post
I have an 08 explorer 4x4, when I put it in 4 auto or 4 high it's like it's in neutral in all gears (wont move) then I put it in 4 low and it KICKS in and works fine, so it only moves in 4 low, if I push 4 auto or 4 high it does nothing but rev up when I hit the gas in all gears and when I put it in park it grinds as if I was moving
not being there to try to drive it, I can't be certain, but It does sound transmission related, I say that because you said that it grinds in park like its trying to move. although that's not to say there isn't a tcase problem as well. just did one, towed in would barely move, except when flooring the thing, trans was burnt up and chain was stripped in the tcase. but it would move better in 4lo. this was a bush truck they buried in the mud and had 300k on it, but that's not my point. might be wise to take it to a transmission shop or at least one that is good with drive train.
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
pintojoe
AF Newbie

Re: transmission or transfer case?

Well finally I took off the transfer case and it was all chewed up inside, so i bought a used one from the bone yard and everything is wonderful again
pintojoe is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac