Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
babuhr
AF Newbie

prob#2 high revving s-10

I've been dealing with this for over a year. 97 s-10 (4.3, 4wd, 5spd) always wants to keep revving. When I put it in neutral and coast, the rpms rise. When in gear, it powers itself down the road even when I'm off the gas. The part that really gets me, is that it will keep revving in neutral until the vehicle comes to a COMPLETE STOP. Then, it drops to a nice idle within 2-3 seconds. I don't understand what the momentum of the vehicle has to with the revving of the engine when its in neutral.? I replaced the IAC valve (and set the pintle) and tried to clean up everything I could. It seemed to be better for only a little while. Faulty new part? Is the IAC getting "gummed up" quickly because of something else? I love this pickup otherwise, but this issue kinda makes it suck to drive... Thanks
babuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
brandon200317
AF Newbie

Re: prob#2 high revving s-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babuhr
I've been dealing with this for over a year. 97 s-10 (4.3, 4wd, 5spd) always wants to keep revving. When I put it in neutral and coast, the rpms rise. When in gear, it powers itself down the road even when I'm off the gas. The part that really gets me, is that it will keep revving in neutral until the vehicle comes to a COMPLETE STOP. Then, it drops to a nice idle within 2-3 seconds. I don't understand what the momentum of the vehicle has to with the revving of the engine when its in neutral.? I replaced the IAC valve (and set the pintle) and tried to clean up everything I could. It seemed to be better for only a little while. Faulty new part? Is the IAC getting "gummed up" quickly because of something else? I love this pickup otherwise, but this issue kinda makes it suck to drive... Thanks

Ya i have the same problem everyonce in a while, good question. (96 sonoma sls, 4.3 x type, manual 2wd)
brandon200317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
Cam1959
AF Regular

Not likely problem fix here but i'd check for vacuum leaks in all vac lines and diaframs under hood and under dash and adjust throttle lever idle stop if possible.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #4
hobbydrummer
AF Newbie

I found a crack in the elbow shaped boot for the pcv valve. I think its common cause a bunch at the junk yard were broke too. My high idling problem got better but came back again. Still trying to figure mine out here too.
hobbydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10