Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
jolleyi
AF Newbie

Oil light and alarm coming on

2000 T & C 3.8l awd. Oil and filter changed about 500 miles back 194000 miles.
This happened a couple of times today. I drove from San Francisco to Sacramento (outside temp 102deg f when we arrived) and as soon as the revs dropped to idle the alarm started.
Plenty of oil, per the dipstick, no CELand no appreciable leaks, (it's 14 years old so it does drip occasionally). Drove back to Tahoe, same thing when i arrived and stopped at the light. Outside temp about 87 Deg f.
With the age of the van i'm wondering if i should just get some higher viscosity oil or perhaps could the oil pump be throwing a wobbly?
Thanks
Ian
jolleyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: Oil light and alarm coming on

Did you change viscosity on that oil change? Where is the idle RPM? Around 7-800 where they should be? Higher viscosity oil may help but I would put a direct pressure gauge on it and see exactly what pressure you're getting. Short of that just change the $10 pressure sensor left of the oil filter. Most of the time it's the culprit.

BTW - My 96 3.8 ltr at 214k miles hasn't dripped a drop of engine oil. Sure wish I could say the same for the tranny. It's had a drip pan under it for years.

Again BTW - "throwing a wobbly" and Ian makes me think you're originally from Jolly old England. Yes no? We lived in Mundford, Norfolk many moons ago. Hated to leave.

Ryan

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
jolleyi
AF Newbie

Hi Ryan,
I stayed with the same viscosity as usual, 5w-30, and the idle RPM is 750 to 770 per my OBD. I changed the oil pressure sensor at approx 120k, but perhaps it's time to do it again. There is no leaking from the sensor. I get leaks from around the engine oil pan, (after many gasket changes) but the transmission pan is really clean. Oil level is to the max and is still very clean.
Yes, I am from the UK, but have not been back for many years.
thanks
Ian
jolleyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
jimslaid
AF Newbie

Change out the pressure sensor. My 2005 was doing the same thing and a new sensor fixed the problem. Make sure to get the socket to remove the sensor when your at the parts store.
jimslaid is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager