Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
FJSVA
AF Newbie

92 Park Avenue Blower Fan & No Start

My 92 PA died and after checking the obvious I had it towed to a shop w/ a good reputation. It had no spark in all 6 cylinders.

They replaced the ignition module and crankshaft sensor for approx. $600. This shop tends to be on the higher end of the price scale but has a good reputation. Is that a fair price?

Also, since the blower fan does not work I'm having them check it. The counter clerk advised me they had to check the heat/ac control module & if it was bad it could cost $700.

I told her that my understanding is that the slider switch can be replaced independent of the control module. I've seen the part on internet sites for about $30.

Am I correct. The slider blower speed switch can be replaced separatly. It's has the NON-automatic climate control.

Thanks
FJSVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 92 Park Avenue Blower Fan & No Start

More than likely, all you needed was the crank position sensor (CKPS), a $35.00 part and no more than 1-hr labor to install @ the high end labor charge of $100-120! The ignition control module is a fifteen minute labor job and the part can be purchased for $150-200.00 all day long. You can do the math and see how bad you got screwed!

First, you should check the fan operation before condemning “slider switches” or blower resistors. The fan can be checked with a 12v lead from the battery to the “purple” positive terminal of the blower motor. Another common method used to check the motor is to bump it with a hammer when the fan switch is on high and the ignition switch on. BTW, do not pay anyone $700.00 to repair a blower motor malfunction, no matter what the problem is!!

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue