Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

Castrol Mugen NSX Progress Thread

Not much to show right now. I've snipped off all the parts that required to be painted in the body colors. These have been tidied up and will look good on the model (no visible ejector pin holes). They are attached either by mini alligator clips attached to Q-tip sticks, or toothpicks with Blue-tak.
Minor note: The side mirrors have a mold line on them on the inner part, which I sanded off.

Here's the body. Mold lines have been removed, and the roof was sanded to remove a little circular projection as according to the instructions. The mold lines run up the left and right front fenders and right/left rear fenders. The wheels in the background have been dechromed and will be painted in X-28 Park Green, then clearcoated.

Here are the parts that have ejection pin holes that will be visible after assembly, so I'm filling them right now with Mr. Surfacer 500, then sand until dry. Mainly the parts of the wing, the fuel intake, and some fins on the front bumper.

The parts are waiting for priming, I will be priming them with Gunze Sangyo Base White from an airbrush. I want to do them all at once, so while I fill the ejecter holes on the above parts, I cover the rest in plastic wrap to keep dust off.

After priming, I will paint the front bumper first, as it will be the most time consuming one to paint. I'd rather get it out of the way first, since it's so complicated and there's much room for error. You can see here

Next update will come after everything's been primed, and hopefully I'll be able to take you through the painting of the front bumper. I'm not in too big of a hurry to finish this, I'd rather get it right and proper.

daggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
supratuner
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to supratuner Send a message via Yahoo to supratuner
its looking good! cant wait to see it finished
supratuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
JDM Evo7
AF Enthusiast

That's one of the most detailed write ups I have seen. Good job!! I don't envy you at all on the front bumper.
JDM Evo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Thumbs up

You've got a good start, it's going to be careful work to get right but will be a stunning piece.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
flyonthewall
Car Mod guy

Send a message via ICQ to flyonthewall
Looking forward to this one Dan!

I have a Raybrig version on its way with a view to creating more transkits. I'm glad u posted a pic of the instructions showing the body construction coz i was hoping the front was a seperate piece for my planned conversion!
flyonthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 09:24 PM   #6
k_dog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to k_dog Send a message via AIM to k_dog Send a message via MSN to k_dog Send a message via Yahoo to k_dog
question.....i jst got this car....how would i go about doing the front air dams' paint job..its 3 freakin colors

Brian
k_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:53 AM   #7
Asmenoth
AF Premium User

I just finished mine, except the rear wing (might have to repaint, didn't come out glossy...I suspect the high humidity the night I sprayed it)....they finally showed up and the seat belts for the Corolla were driving me nuts so I set 'em asside for a day or so. I just used strips of masking tape, cut 'em into peices and masked off the front bumper. A hell of a masking job, though it came out better than I thought it would (minimal touching up with a brush). The decals on this kit are interesting though, they seem a bit thick...but go easy on the micro-sol.

No Officer, the speedometer only goes up to 85.
Asmenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:22 AM   #8
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

That NSX looks like a stunning kit. Please keep us posted on progress Dan, definitely take your time and get it right and proper.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:16 AM   #9
Guido
AF Enthusiast

Hi Dan,

Looks like a thourough plan you had before starting. Good thinking and a good start to another nice build-up!

Keep 'em coming
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:47 AM   #10
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by k_dog
question.....i jst got this car....how would i go about doing the front air dams' paint job..its 3 freakin colors

Brian
It's actually 4 I'll see what I can show as I paint mine

Old 03-02-2003, 07:06 AM   #11
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

Good luck!
you seem to be heading nicely with your NSX!

Bo, am I happy I chose to buy the Mobil 1 NSX, instead of your paint-monster!

Ciao and good luck!

Olivier
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:56 AM   #12
RyanGiorgio
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RyanGiorgio Send a message via MSN to RyanGiorgio
Looks great so far. Keep us updated!

05' Civic Si - Tokico D-Specs/Progress Springs/Progress Rear Sway/CorSport Endlinks/Ingalls Torque Dampner/Energy Suspension Motor Mounts/Falken Ziex/HFP Spoiler/RSX Rims
RyanGiorgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:42 PM   #13
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

After the wing and front bumper parts were sanded, everything was primed with Gunze Sangyo Mr. Base White primer. The stuff is pretty good, a flat white that covered the black pretty well. While no cheap sprayable quality white primer exists, I will continue to use Gunze.

After the first priming, dust that made its way into the paint job and imperfections in the sanding were sanded out with 3M 1500 grit sandpaper, then all the touched up parts were primed again.

Now, the process of painting the body begins. The front bumper and front two fins of the body were sprayed TS-26 Pure White that had been decanted into a bottle and sprayed through my airbrush. This was somewhat of a bother, I had to sand out some dust and such that made its way in (white is the most unforgiving color) but after everything was proper, I gave it a 'dirty' clearcoat with TS-13.

You can't really distinguish between the primer and paint in the pics. If you look at the bottom of the front bumper, you can see air bubbles from the clear being sprayed too thick Luckily, they're on the part that will be painted Park Green, so they will be sanded out tomorrow. I'll be back with the masking process and tricks as I get ready to spray Park Green onto the bumper, various parts, and the hood of the body.

Old 03-11-2003, 06:48 PM   #14
k_dog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to k_dog Send a message via AIM to k_dog Send a message via MSN to k_dog Send a message via Yahoo to k_dog
Dan, very nice indeed.
Curious to see the paint job progress....
Keep us updated!

Brian
k_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:14 PM   #15
kunta
AF Enthusiast

good job! thanks for detail report.
I also use Mr. Base White primer and gray primer by airbrush.
when base plastic color is black, I always apply gray primer first.
did you apply white primer just twice? it looks so white...
kunta is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports