Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:50 PM   #16
KingRSX
AF Newbie

Re: Some Advice!!!!

now just wondering because of course i am a newbie(forgive my ignorance)... why cant i have headers with a turbo. is space a problem or can u just no put both of those on the same engine. same question for cold air filters.

also are catback the best exhausts

Last edited by KingRSX; 10-02-2004 at 09:03 AM.
KingRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 AM   #17
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

About turbos, CAIs and headers, tran_nsx posted this a while back:

Quote:
when a car is turbocharged, it does not use a cai, sri, or header. even, if u still somehow create a cai, it still be pointless, why?

because air being forced into the compressor side of the turbo causes the air to be compressed which it then heats up, whether the air is hot or cold. if u want colder air from a turbocharger, buy an intercooler, this distributes the heated air into smaller holes and is cool down by incoming air passing through the vents just like a radiator. still, this won't be cold air, but it will be cooler then the original temp before without the intercooler.

as for a header, it is replaced with a turbo manifold instead. whats the difference? a header (exhaust manifold) allows exhaust fumes to flow from the engine to the exhaust pipes. with a turbo manifold, exhaust flows out of the engine into the turbine side of the turbo, thus causing it to spin which spins the compressor side. after exiting the turbine, the fumes then goes out the pipes.
A catback exhaust just means that it is an exhaust that goes from catalytic covertor, all the way to the end of the exhaust (the tip). If i'm not mistaken there are also "racing exhausts" which eliminate the catalytic convertor (used for emissions) and go all the way to the tip.

So if you decide to not use a catalytic convertor, cops might get you if you have to do emissions testing and what not. I'm not sure if you can just use a regular exhaust system or what for the turbo however.....
Old 10-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #18
KingRSX
AF Newbie

well next question:
Cybernation provides you with an intercooler with the turbo kit, but will this be good enough or should i look into buying my own

and i was curious to know if a wider intercooler was neccessarily better than a not so wide 1
Old 10-02-2004, 01:31 PM   #19
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Its better, but is it necessary? I don't think so. Unless you're doing significant modifications and turning up the boost very high I see no reason to use an intercooler other than the one provided.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:38 PM   #20
KingRSX
AF Newbie

The "what the fuck" question of the day
What The Fuck is

-darton sleeve
also what is the difference between blowoff valves and wastegates. lastly what are downpipes for and rods and retainers
Old 10-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #21
GScivic7
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GScivic7 Send a message via MSN to GScivic7

If you plan on running high boost you need to build up your internals. Meaning you need to replace the factory rod, pistons and sleeves with parts that are stronger. Forged rods and pistons should be at the top of that list. Darton sleeves are great. It's just a cylinder sleeve that is made stronger than the factory one.

About the intercooler, you want an intercooler that is taller than wider. It's simple math, you want more area to cool your charge. A more square shape has more area than a rectangular one.

Empty Pockets Racing Member #1
GScivic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #22
bigrod118
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Some Advice!!!!

I must say everyone posting to this thread is extreemly helpful, nice and understanding of newbies. keep up the good will and help guys, most people are mean and assholes to people who arent masters at this.

also I know its an ongoing problem and there are petitions, but is there any news of changes to the new model or fixing exsisting problems with the gear grind in the transmissions. many have said that a aftermarket short throw shifter will eliminate this problem but has anyone every done it or is it just an idea.
bigrod118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #23
KingRSX
AF Newbie

correct me if im wrong but short shifters are good for starting off the line right
Old 10-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #24
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

I don't know if the new tranny is better for the grinding problems (and I guess it'll take a while to find out because most 05s have pretty low mileage right now and there aren't as many 05 owners as there are 02-04s) but when I sat in it it felt better than my 02.

Some people say short shifters reduce the amount of grind, others say it doesn't.

A short shifter won't make a difference when starting, but it will make a difference in terms of how long it takes to shift. You'll spend a little bit less time shifting and more time accelerating. It'll also make driving a bit more fun because shorter throws feel better. And the short shifters are pretty cheap. If I were getting one i'd wait for Comptech to release their short shifter.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #25
KingRSX
AF Newbie

Im reading things about engine swaps, and correct me if im wrong but is the k24 and TSX engine. and were do u find these engines to swap
Old 10-03-2004, 06:59 PM   #26
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Yup, the K24A is the TSX engine.

Some shops sell engines (you'll have to ask around regional forums though); a junkyard might have one; if someone blows their TSX engine, you can usually see if the dealer has the engine, buy it off of them and rebuild it; or you can buy it from the dealer (very expensive).

For more info on RSX swaps:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109
Old 10-03-2004, 07:33 PM   #27
KingRSX
AF Newbie

not that i have any interest in swaping but is it worth putting the money into buying and moding it or are u better off use all that money and putting it into the k20. and also would u mind giving me the low down on ECU...how they are used, how u can benifit, is it a do-it-yourself type deal, and who is the best in the ECU field
Old 10-04-2004, 04:09 PM   #28
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Swapping for a K20A (Type R motor)? Not really worth it, you can probably spend the cash on getting new internals with type r or better components.

ECU, you can reflash your ECU with Hondata (not sure if its compatible with supercharger, turbo or nos though), you can buy the Hondata K-Pro, but I think that's only compatible with supercharger or 12psi or less turbo (I might be wrong). The K-pro is plugged into your car, and when you want to tune you download the data from the car and put it onto your computer where you can edit a bunch of stuff yourself and tune your car yourself, or you can download pre-made setting off the internet. For the Cybernations turbo though i'd recommend the new one called Gaurdian. I don't know too much about it or if they released yet but check out here for more ECU info:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130
Old 10-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #29
KingRSX
AF Newbie

is the downloading and tuning yourself on the computer user friendly or is it technical. in others would a guy like me understand how to edit my ECU
Old 10-04-2004, 06:42 PM   #30
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

I think so.

A little research on what does what will make it easier. I believe Hondata has an available DVD that teaches you how to use it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX