Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #31
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by FYRHWK1
I dout the ecotec 4 cylinder is lotus designed, it's actually reliable, but you may be right as i cant find any info on it now. Opels 3.0L V6 isnt a GM global engine, each division has its own incentive to make their own motors, GMs true global motors are the LS series V8, the ecotec and the new 3.6L v6, i dont believe i've ever seen the northstar used anywhere efore, but since it was only available in FWD configuration that may change now that it's redesigned for RWD app. Also, is htat 3L Opel V6 related to the POS 3.2L CTS motor? i know it's opel in design and a cheap piece to buy, that piece of junk is the reason they dropped the perfectly great 3.5L V6.
Lotus probably did some engineering work on the L850/Ecotec (as they do work with many companies), but why does their involvement in the engine's design mean it wouldn't be reliable?

GM Europe and GM North America have, until recently, designed their own engines. In recent years, the two "divisions" of GM have been integrating their engineering work. Current global engines include the L850/Ecotec four-cylinder and the "High-Feature" V6.

GM Europe's "MV6" six-cylinder engine has been used in Opel/Vauxhall, Holden, Saab, Cadillac, and Saturn products, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "global engine."

By the way, what is the "LS series V8?"
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:12 PM   #32
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
The Lotus reliability remark was just poking fun, they don't have the best track record when working with GM, the LT5 was half designed by them and never was known as a high mileage motor. So the 3.2L is the 3.0 V6, allrigth, well then i can agree its a terrible POS, fortunatly the CTS will soon be getting the new 3.6L so we'll see how much better it performs. the LS series V8 would be the LS1, LS6 and upcoming LS2 and LS7 engines.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:19 PM   #33
Hudson
Old Mod

One engine is not a good measure of the expansive work Lotus has done with GM.

The "LS Series V8" as you call it is known as GM's Small Block family. The LS1/LS6 is related to the 4.8/5.3/6.0 V8s used in the trucks...and related to the previous generation "Chevrolet Small Block" family. These engines are hardly considered "global engines." If you're considering the fact that the V8s are used in North America and Australia, so is the 3.8L OHV V6....so is the MV6...
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 10:47 PM   #34
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

well, while it is a smallblock chevy, it has nothing at all to do with the previous 2 generations at all so i've been tentative to simply call it that, and gen III smallblock doesnt usually get the point across. As to lotus, i've never known them to be a very good engine building company, their chassis are nice for small sportscars but powertrain wise nothing they've done ever really stood out in my mind.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:36 AM   #35
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
As to lotus, i've never known them to be a very good engine building company, their chassis are nice for small sportscars but powertrain wise nothing they've done ever really stood out in my mind.

This is getting OT, but: You clearly have a limited experiance with Lotus engines. The Lotus Twin Cam, based on the ford 1600cc Kent Block is a great engine, one of the best 4cyl engines ever made infact. It formed the basis for the Cosworth 16v Twin Cam, which was then copied by Toyota to make the famous 4age 1600cc 4cyl engine.
The 2.2L lotus Twin Cam engine is totaly designed by Lotus, and is another great engine. Making over 260-270hp with a simple Turbo and blow through Carb set up it has an amazingly flat torque curve that rivals most fuel injected engines, and is amazingly strong, capable of revving well beyond the fueling limits of the carbs. It suffers from the usual english engine oil leaks, but otherwise is extremly reliable.

The new Lotus V8 is an even greater engine, with an amazingly flat torque curve and is extremly reliable.

The only weakness in Lotus drivelines is the Renult g/boxs, but blame Renult for that not Lotus.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:04 AM   #36
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Extremely limited, but noone i know whos from europe has ever really mentioned them as top motors, good to hear theyre capable though.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:50 PM   #37
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I dout the ecotec 4 cylinder is lotus designed, it's actually reliable, but you may be right as i cant find any info on it now. Opels 3.0L V6 isnt a GM global engine, each division has its own incentive to make their own motors, GMs true global motors are the LS series V8, the ecotec and the new 3.6L v6, i dont believe i've ever seen the northstar used anywhere efore, but since it was only available in FWD configuration that may change now that it's redesigned for RWD app. Also, is htat 3L Opel V6 related to the POS 3.2L CTS motor? i know it's opel in design and a cheap piece to buy, that piece of junk is the reason they dropped the perfectly great 3.5L V6.
Sadly to say, the ecotec isn't that reliable. Well, maybe if it stays original but if you try to modify it things will start to fall apart already at low power outputs. Saab has three versions of this engines, 150, 175 and 210 hp. The 175 hp engine will start to break if the output is increase to around 210 hp. If the 210 hp engines power is increased to more than 220-230 hp the same thing will happend to that engine.

Known weaknesses are cylinder head, cylinderwalls and the "bridge" that carries the crankshaft. A guess is also that pistons and con-rods are weak too.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:57 AM   #38
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

I've never heard of one going south myself, but then again i've never heard of a modified ecotec, stock they'll last as long as you like them to but i'd believe it that they'll fall apart at higher levels. Theres a new version coming out built for the sport compact tuner market that should improve the design, time will tell though. Doesnt the vauxhall VX220 turbo and opel speedster turbo run an ecotec? i'm sure those engines are a good bit stronger.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #39
454Casull
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SaabJohan

Sadly to say, the ecotec isn't that reliable. Well, maybe if it stays original but if you try to modify it things will start to fall apart already at low power outputs. Saab has three versions of this engines, 150, 175 and 210 hp. The 175 hp engine will start to break if the output is increase to around 210 hp. If the 210 hp engines power is increased to more than 220-230 hp the same thing will happend to that engine.

Known weaknesses are cylinder head, cylinderwalls and the "bridge" that carries the crankshaft. A guess is also that pistons and con-rods are weak too.
Does the Ecotec use an aluminum block?
Old 06-20-2003, 05:21 PM   #40
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

yes, all aluminum.