Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 05:41 AM   #1
Roadster2
AF Enthusiast

LIncoln Concept Pics

LOS ANGELES -- Ford Motor Co.'s Lincoln division today will introduce a Continental concept car unapologetically geared toward older executives or anyone who wants a roomy car equipped with a cigar humidor, space for an attache case and a rear-seat drinks dispenser.

The four-door, four-person luxury sedan is billed as an executive car by Ford, which was scheduled to unveil the Continental at the Los Angeles Auto Show after two years of research and development. The Continental is the more formal of two concept cars Lincoln developed. The other, a sportier coupe called the Lincoln MK 9, was introduced at the 2001 New York Auto Show.

With the pending introduction of a redesigned Navigator sport-utility, the new small-sized sport-utility called Aviator, and a refreshed Town Car, the next 12 months look to be an important time for Lincoln. Like all of the brands in the Ford family, Lincoln is under pressure to hold off competition from foreign automakers like Toyota and help Ford return to profitability after three straight poor quarters.

Lincoln also must deal with the challenge of being attached at the hip to Mercury, a division many auto analysts are saying might go the way of dead or dying brands like Chrysler's Plymouth division and General Motors Corp.'s Oldsmobile line.

Lincoln hopes cars like the Continental will help it and Ford regain the sales that made the company the industry's most profitable automaker in the late 1990s and into 2000.

This Lincoln Continental concept car has a 6-liter, 414-horsepower, V12 engine.

The instrument panel comes with concierge and telematics features and a navigation system. The concierge service allows a passenger to check the weather or traffic conditions, make restaurant reservations or get personalized stock-market updates.

And in keeping with cell phone ordinances taking hold around the country, the Continental's telephone functions are all hands-free. A mouse built into the console is used to navigate the displays.

Back-seat passengers will find case holders in the front-seat backs that fold down to allow an attache case or laptop computer case to open. A cabinet between the rear seats holds crystal and a drinks dispenser.

Like many concept cars, the Continental is being introduced at at a show so the automaker can gauge the response.

If the company gets much positive feedback, the concept car is often tweaked and introduced a few years later for mass production. Chrysler turned concept cars like the Dodge Viper and Chrysler PT Cruiser into production vehicles following positive feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_ford_3.jpg (7.1 KB, 396 views)
Roadster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:27 PM   #2
Psman32@af
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Psman32@af Send a message via Yahoo to Psman32@af
oh man, when i saw that here in detroit i wanted it before i knew about that engine, now i jsut want it more. I love the chrome that goes around the outside, it makes it look like the car has edges and lines like my lincoln did.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:45 PM   #3
lbc150
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to lbc150
i also think it is a very nice looking car. nice powerplant in her as well! I wonder what gas mileage will be on this beast of a car.

Arom
-superchip
-gaylord bedcover
-allstar bedliner
lbc150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 10:29 AM   #4
delamothe
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to delamothe
I wonder what the price tag will be. I was all excited about the new T bird until I saw that 40K price tag on it.
delamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:55 AM   #5
450HPviper
AF Enthusiast

A V-12 in a Ford product. I haven't heard of this yet, but it sounds interesting.