Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
dropnroll
AF Newbie

Anyone ever solve the misfire on a 3.2 95 trooper?

I have a 1995 trooper LS with 173K on the 3.2 L engine and 4wd auto. I recently had a bucking and black smoke issue with my truck. I took it in to a service center and they used a 1/4 tank of gas, had it running so rough that I couldn't even drive it away! They told me my o2 sensor was bad and they couldn't get a good reading with it bad so I told them to put it back together( they had pulled plugs and tested compression ) Then they had the gall to charge me $85 !!!!!!Guess they think that's OK a woman doesn't know anything. If anyone has a real solution to this problem I sure would appreciate it.
dropnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Canucklehead
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead
Re: Anyone ever solve the misfire on a 3.2 95 trooper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropnroll
I have a 1995 trooper LS with 173K on the 3.2 L engine and 4wd auto. I recently had a bucking and black smoke issue with my truck. I took it in to a service center and they used a 1/4 tank of gas, had it running so rough that I couldn't even drive it away! They told me my o2 sensor was bad and they couldn't get a good reading with it bad so I told them to put it back together( they had pulled plugs and tested compression ) Then they had the gall to charge me $85 !!!!!!Guess they think that's OK a woman doesn't know anything. If anyone has a real solution to this problem I sure would appreciate it.
I take it you didn't replace the O2 sensor. Is there some reason you think that it isn't the problem?
Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
dropnroll
AF Newbie

Sorry I forgot to say that the first thing I did was replace the o2 sensor then reset the computer by taking out both ecm fuses and unhooking the battery for 12 hrs. Then I replaced the plugs and wires. and from what I've been able to find on here the egr valve is in the center behind the throttle body I found a little plastic piece with a filter in it there so I cleaned out that filter with air. Any other ideas?????
Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

first: what's this: """ I found a little plastic piece with a filter in it there so I cleaned out that filter with air"""

since you know or suspect you have a misfire, have you tried isolating it to a particular cylinder or cylinders?
what was the result of the compression test?
what did the shop mean when they said, """o2 sensor was bad and they couldn't get a good reading with it bad """ what 'reading' ?

ultimately, it's fuel, or ignition (or intake gasket), duh...
if you isolate the problem to a particular cylinder or cylinders, that will go along way to narrowing the diagnostic choices (which is where a good shop with some modern diagnostic equipment is so very handy....)
but you can do it the poor man's way: a cheap spark detector that's held up to the wires
and/or use an inductive timing light on each wire in turn and see if they all fire 'evenly'.
or disconnect the IAC connector and remove a spark plug wire at a time and note rpm drop. the one that doesn't drop or doesn't drop as much is the culprit cylinder.
and then there is the ignition coils and the ignition module.

//bc

btw, why are you so pissed at the shop. seems like they did the first steps of diagnosis, and recommended you replace a part, and then you expected them to do that for free? don't think so. $85 these days isn't all that much for labor.

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.

Last edited by trooperbc; 03-20-2007 at 12:46 AM.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
dropnroll
AF Newbie

I seem to have struck a nerve bc, sorry. But when you bring a car into a "professional" with a problem accelarating and they use a 1/4 tank of gas and tell you that they can't say what is wrong. Because the "to be able to perform a scan the o2 sensor would have to be replaced, and it would take them a couple of hours to put it back together" then when you go to pick it up the next day you can't even get it to run good enough to move out of the parking lot! Then they get it in the shop tell me I have oil leaking onto the spark plugs and they are shorting out and that's why it's running so bad. This is where I watched him change the order of the wires and act like he was cleaning the oil off 1 plug he pulled later! I honestly believe someone changed a wire because I wan't to fix it myself and they figured I would bring t back if I thought I couldn't handle it. So I've explained my attitude, why is it I get more questions than answers here? I've made an effort to go in and answer questions where ever I had an experience that helped. So I guess no othe isuzu trooper owners have experienced this and got it fixed?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
colopatironxv
AF Newbie

Dropnroll, you said that there was oil on the wires? that is caused by a faulty tube seal witch like you said can burn the wires out. Have you replaced the wires?? Also if you have access to the firing order i would make sure it is correct.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard