Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News
AF News Find out what's happening here at AutomotiveForums.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #61
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

UPDATE: Video of the GT-R N1 on the track is now available for download!

Last edited by igor@af; 03-16-2005 at 07:46 PM.
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #62
Automobile Maniac
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Thought I was watching a GT4 replay for a second . But then I remembered, hey this is real! Very cool.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #63
Zachp911
AF Enthusiast

Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Congrats, awesome car!
Old 03-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #64
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge

amazing and thats simply stateing it.....
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #65
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Looks to be fighting a push, but certainly good form. No roll, clean in corner transitions, and obviously able to pick up in the throttle after the apex.

Top 15's maybe?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #66
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
Top 15's maybe?
out of?

My guess top 10 outa 30.
" ~ Igor
Old 03-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #67
blackcomet
AF Regular

good luck with that skyline project..thast really sick, its not everyday u find a skyline like that, or one at all lol
blackcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #68
AF Newbie

I applaud you for getting into real motorsport. It is nice to see one of these large forum members do something other than these pointless and ridiculous show cars and "street racers." In fact it is the reason I just registered.

Anyway, I've been racing in the SCCA for almost 5 years myself and have driven a decent variety of racecars. My question is what experience have you had racing that you think you will be able to handle a 500hp racecar on some of the most demanding tracks in the world? Testing at Willow on a free test-day is one thing (I've had many races there myself), but being able to safely stay on pace with walls all around you at Infineon or Road Atlanta in the midst of a raging pack of Speed-GT cars with many highly-experienced drivers is another thing. It's very easy to put your car into a wall at places like those and a hard impact in a state-of-the-art Skyline will costs tens-of-thousands to repair. It may have been a better idea to start in a slower racing level...even Speed Touring Car is an extremely fast place for a novice to start. Don't mean to be negative, but I thought I might offer some alternate perspectives.

edit: I watched your video...you were on the streets of willow...thing is not really a real track. More like an auto-x course w/out cones. Go on the real track and feel the terror as you go through 8 and 9 with a 500hp car.

Again, congratulations and best of luck on your new venture.

In re: the PTG question. They definitely will not be participating in Speed GT. They already might have bitten off more than they can chew by fielding 4 cars this year; their 2 classic BMW-Financial cars plus 2 F1 Air sponsored cars. Last year they were dominant so they might have come in a little overly cocky and running all 4 cars and maintaining the same reliability has proven a real problem.

Last edited by #98; 03-14-2005 at 05:23 PM.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #69
driftmaster200
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to driftmaster200

How did you aquire the GTR? With only a handfull left im sure it was a bit of luck.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #70
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsaleen
My guess top 10 outa 30.
Based on what? What kind of times are you assuming the GT cars are going to do this year? What do you think the Skyline can do?

I think it's great that a new team is coming to World Challenge and admit that I don't have a clue what it's capable of, but then, I'm not at all sure what to expect from the usual suspects this year. There has been a rules shake up and we haven't seen the results yet. Sebring is going to be an interesting race.

Who was the test driver on the Streets? Who is slated to race it next year?

C.
Tiger Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #71
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge

The GTR is a great car and is very very deadly in the rain (with attesa on) and would knock half of the comp off immediatly.

Based on normal Scca cars like audi's etc. My neighbor Does scca and lmp as well as many other types of racing.
" ~ Igor
Old 03-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #72
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Top tens seem a little overly optimistic to me, too.

Think about the competition.

Stu Hayner and the GMAC Pontiac GTO.
Tommy Archer and Bob Woodhouse in Viper Competition Coupes.
Leighton Reese in a C6 Corvette.
Andy Pilgrim, Max Angelelli, and Mad Max Papis in Cadillac CTS-V's.
Phil McClure and David Farmer in Z06 Vettes.
Derek Bell and the factory Volvo S60-R.

That's ten cars right there and that's not including the plethora of Porsche 911's, Vettes, BMW M3's, and so on that will undoubtedly contest this season. GT is ridiculously competitive and there are several more cars on deck for this season that'll be showing up; the new generation of 911's, new Mustangs, more C6 Corvettes, and so on down the list.

If AF can get the R34 into striking distance of the top tier (hence, top fifteen), then it'll be a major accomplishment as a first-year team.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:28 PM   #73
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
Top tens seem a little overly optimistic to me, too.

Think about the competition.

Stu Hayner and the GMAC Pontiac GTO.
Tommy Archer and Bob Woodhouse in Viper Competition Coupes.
Leighton Reese in a C6 Corvette.
Andy Pilgrim, Max Angelelli, and Mad Max Papis in Cadillac CTS-V's.
Phil McClure and David Farmer in Z06 Vettes.
Derek Bell and the factory Volvo S60-R.

That's ten cars right there and that's not including the plethora of Porsche 911's, Vettes, BMW M3's, and so on that will undoubtedly contest this season. GT is ridiculously competitive and there are several more cars on deck for this season that'll be showing up; the new generation of 911's, new Mustangs, more C6 Corvettes, and so on down the list.

If AF can get the R34 into striking distance of the top tier (hence, top fifteen), then it'll be a major accomplishment as a first-year team.
Exactly, especially considering you have about 10 world-class drivers and about 20 other professional drivers who are frightingly fast. In the opening SCCA SoCal region race a fast driver in an E36 325i car is that relatively stock was out-pacing an EVO MR and a 350Z by 7 seconds, which is simply a laughable amount. If you're running 2 seconds slower than pole you're considered slow. And that gap increased when it rained because driver skill was at a premium...so you had some 325i out-pacing an AWD Evo by nearly 10 seconds. People have to realize that you need more than a great car to win. Almost everyone will have a great. You also need a fast driver and someone who is an expert at setting up a car. Changing the sway-bar settings alone on my low-powered race car can make it a totally different car. When you get to Speed-GT level you have to be changing gear ratio, springs, shock setting, etc. for every different track.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:04 AM   #74
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA

Igor,

Do you guys need anything?

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:14 AM   #75
drvngstorm05
AF Enthusiast

placing in the upper tier is very optimistic... those CTS-V's are beasts, not to mention all the other GM cars out there (GTO and Z06).

anyone know if there is going to be a c6 vette competing?

'92 RS lt1/t56, lt4 hot cam, 30lb injectors, 54mm throttle body, full exhaust, 4.11 posi, 4 coil ignition, alluminum driveshaft, adj rear suspension, low. springs, electric water pump, custom tune.
drvngstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News