Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
Kbrickman
AF Newbie

Angry Grinding Wheel, Not the bearings.

Im out of ideas, so maybe someone here can give me a hand.

A couple weeks ago, after driving on a donut for a day, i got my tire fixed and back on the car. A day and a half later, I start hearing the lovely roaring sound of a shot wheel bearing. I also heard this terrible grinding noice on every revolution of the front left wheel as i slowed down. Loud enough to turn heads.. I figured its time for new brakes anyway, so i pickup two wheel bearings, rotors, and pads. Drove fine for about a week, and then this grinding noise came back, slowly as it did the first time. I thought i got a bad wheel bearing, so i bought a new one. Wasnt the problem. Then I wanted to check the caliper. So as im pinching off the brake hose so that it wont compress, i snap the thing in half. After replacing the brake hose, I took it out with no caliper on at all. Still there.

What could it be? Any ideas before i have to take the damn thing in? Like i said, Its only at speeds less than 25MPH, but even at high speeds the driving sounds rough. Something sounds like its grinding against something as the wheel turns. But what?

Please?
Kbrickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Kbrickman
AF Newbie

Re: Grinding Wheel, Not the bearings.

anybody?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
mexiNAMEDsqueak
AF Newbie

The only thing I have is that it could be the CV joints. Is it on the front wheel or back and is it both or only one? Is it all stock?
mexiNAMEDsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
r1bourg
AF Newbie

Could be the tranny bearings like my 97 Cavalier 2.2 automatic. I changed the bearings and cv joints. Bearings are gone again. The noise did not go away when the new bearings were first installed. This was my Q to get professional advice before I screwed up the new bearings. Good news is the trannies are a cheaper lot...$400 or so plus instal.
r1bourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Sometimes a bad tire or wheel can make a grinding noise. Have you ttried rotating your tires to see if the noise changes?
manicmechanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Kbrickman
AF Newbie

Figured this out a while ago..

Funny story actually, after spending a pretty penny on half of my drivetrain, i found out my impact wrench took a shit, and my lugs were just a little loose...

I remember literally hitting myself lol

Least i got the brake/bearing maintenance over with

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
wheel bearing grinding
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis