Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
dada man
AF Newbie

Polishing tutorial

http://12-twentyfour.com/2014/09/23/polishing-a-car/

Hey guys. I did a polishing tutorial on the mini. This is just my way which may have its flaws but so far has worked for me. If anyone has any tips to add please let me know. thanks
dada man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dada man For This Useful Post:
eugene78 (10-06-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Polishing tutorial

You saved my life. I never even thought of using a Dremel to polish. I bought one a few weeks ago for heavy mods, I'll have to get these soft wheels and try it out. Thanks for taking the time to make this.
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
pharr7226
AF Regular

Beautiful finish. A guy named Cesar Bossolani posted a youtube video a couple of years ago showing a method similar to yours. I've wanted to try this for a while but I could not find a polishing wheel that was soft enough. Where did you find your?
pharr7226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

whatever you do, if your dremel/router can be "overclocked" by giving it more voltage, resist the urge to do so, even if in just small increments (ex: stock voltage is 4.5v, you go 6v). you might get to polish things faster, but it's also easier to burn through all the paint layers (yes i managed to do so, burning through 5 2k urethane clear, 5 acrylic clear red, 3 urethane silver and 5 urethane primer layers) in short notice. ^_^
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Great write up!

I noticed you said that orange peel is caused by a change in temperature and not in a controlled environment. I tend to get a bit of orange peel but I always spray inside (I have a spray booth) and once finished, I put it into a food dehydrator to cure. Do you think it would help to cure in the ambient air and then put it into the dehydrator after a few hours? I've always been rather puzzled at this problem...

Daniel
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
dada man
AF Newbie

@ racer 93.

Well one of the reasons is change in temperature. Other reasons can be the layers underneath were not 100% prepped ( i.e. primer and colour layers arent smooth) or it can also be the way the paint was sprayed or mixed. Theres lots of different reasons why it could happen. There will always be a bit of orange peel however if you put your first layer of clear down and let it cure, flat and then reclear it wil come out better. IT is a longer process but is just as effective and sometimes even bettter
dada man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Cliff71
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharr7226 View Post
Beautiful finish. A guy named Cesar Bossolani posted a youtube video a couple of years ago showing a method similar to yours. I've wanted to try this for a while but I could not find a polishing wheel that was soft enough. Where did you find your?
Cesar is a really good mate of mine & showed me his technique for polishing several years ago. There are certain things needed to get a great finish, using a Dremel & jewelers cotton mops. ( these can bbe foundon ebay under jewelery/ jewelers tools & can be purchased in bulk.) As for the speed of your drill, it should be used with no more than 800-1000 rpms, just like 1:1 polishers. You will need a voltage dimmer, which allows you to slow down the rpms on your drill/Dremel. I got mine from Cesar, as there is a guy in Brazil who makes them, &I couldn't source one anywhere else.
Cliff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
racer93
AF Enthusiast

For the voltage dimmer, you can just use a dimmer switch set up for a normal light dimmer wall switch. I use it on mine and it works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff71 View Post
Cesar is a really good mate of mine & showed me his technique for polishing several years ago. There are certain things needed to get a great finish, using a Dremel & jewelers cotton mops. ( these can bbe foundon ebay under jewelery/ jewelers tools & can be purchased in bulk.) As for the speed of your drill, it should be used with no more than 800-1000 rpms, just like 1:1 polishers. You will need a voltage dimmer, which allows you to slow down the rpms on your drill/Dremel. I got mine from Cesar, as there is a guy in Brazil who makes them, &I couldn't source one anywhere else.
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
CFarias
AF Regular

This is a great way to polish models, but let me add some things...

You must use the jewelers mops only. There are other polishing mops made of densely packed felt. Do not use these as they will burn through the paint. They can easily be identified by their rigid shape -- disk, barrel, or bullet shaped.

Try to keep as much of the stem of the jewelers mop out of the dremel tool as much as possible. The further away you keep the dremel's mandrel away from the model the less likely you are to accidently nick it with the tool. Keeping the stem out of the tool helps keep the tool away from the model.

Be careful when you are using the dremel near the edges of your model. In these areas the tool will want to grab the model and the model might slip out of your hands or the tool might try to gouge the model. Care must be taken around the pillars of the windshield.
CFarias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CFarias For This Useful Post:
eugene78 (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 03:29 AM   #10
Cliff71
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Polishing tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFarias View Post
This is a great way to polish models, but let me add some things...

You must use the jewelers mops only. There are other polishing mops made of densely packed felt. Do not use these as they will burn through the paint. They can easily be identified by their rigid shape -- disk, barrel, or bullet shaped.

Try to keep as much of the stem of the jewelers mop out of the dremel tool as much as possible. The further away you keep the dremel's mandrel away from the model the less likely you are to accidently nick it with the tool. Keeping the stem out of the tool helps keep the tool away from the model.

Be careful when you are using the dremel near the edges of your model. In these areas the tool will want to grab the model and the model might slip out of your hands or the tool might try to gouge the model. Care must be taken around the pillars of the windshield.
Everything you've mentioned is absolutely correct. Although myself I have fabricated some foam pads to fit my Dremel tool, to use as you would with 1:1 cars. I use this first, after all wet sanding is completed, using the harsher polish compounds. Then I use the "mops" for softer compounds.
Here's some pics of the mops, dimmer & my miniature foam pads.

Cheers Cliff
Cliff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff71 For This Useful Post:
brysonwong (10-06-2014)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling