Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
View Poll Results: What do you think of it?
Cool 1 33.33%
Stupid 2 66.67%
Shouldn't have done it 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
zRobx71
AF Newbie

Thumbs up They told me it was impossible!

LONG STORY

After my airbags deployed I wanted a new steering wheel because it just wasn't cool to have a metal plate on my steering wheel so I did some research and called up Grant Steering products and they told me it was impossible to put one of their steering wheels on an airbag equipped vehicle. They told me they don't make adapters for it. I was like, no way, there has to be a way. So I called CarID and they told me that it was illegal and impossible so I was a little discouraged but I went to O'Reilly's and bought an adapter for an old model car and then bought a steering wheel that fit that adapter. It was all trial and error for about 4 hours. I sat their for 30 minutes looking at the steering shaft, the adapter, the steering wheel, the old steering wheel and I figured wth and I gave up.

*I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOU DURING YOUR STEERING WHEEL REPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

About an hour later at 9pm I couldn't think of anything else but to get that damn steering wheel on there so I took the wheel plate that came with the adapter and I put it over the steering shaft lining up with the little groove that my truck's steering shaft has on it. So far so good, then I put some random retarded looking plate that came with the adapter on it and tried to hook up the steering wheel but it just pretty much fell of the shaft so I took that stupid plate off and put the lock plate back on. Then I took the steering wheel boot or hub or whatever it's called and screwed it on with 3 screws that came with the adapter. It was looking good so I bolted it up with high hopes that I wouldn't have to rent another puller. So I screwed on the steering wheel and all was well! It looked great but there was one minor problem....no horn and I have inspection due right now which I was told they won't pass without a horn. So I drove it around for a little while with the steering wheel on there and it was awesome.

*I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOU DURING YOUR STEERING WHEEL REPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

I then took it back off and looked at the horn wires and was like wtf is this junk? There were two wires, one with a little end that looked like a trumpet tip or something and the other end was like a flat clip or something. The second wire I had had a circle on one end and a flat clip or something on the other. I fiddled around and noticed some little silver clip looking things on the horn button. I knew that in order for a horn to work, the little metal thing needs to be grounded so I started messing with the wires trying to see how it works and I got it! The wire that has the circle end hooks up to one of the silver clips and the circle part goes around where the steering wheel is screwed on. The other wire with the trumpet horn tip slides down into the spot where that metal piece thing stuck out for the original horn and then I folded it around a random lip in the plastic housing for the horn and fed it through some holes on the hub adapter and it made it to the steering wheel where it connected to the other silver clip thing. I pushed the horn and nothing happened but then I realized that the steering wheel wasn't grounded so I put it against the hub adapter and the horn worked!
Now everything is set up amazingly after Grant and CarID told me there was no way. I figured a steering wheel company would have their heads out of their asses but I guess not. So after trail and error over and over again I finally have it finalized and good to go. I attached a picture of the final outcome. If you would like a detailed tutorial let me know and I'll hit you up.
I also removed the SIR ASM coil because it was no longer necessary.

^I gotta say that or else I'll get sued if someone gets there head knocked off by an airbag!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 734615_568317723178745_1456651724_n.jpg (51.5 KB, 6 views)
zRobx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: They told me it was impossible!

So let me get this straight...both air bags have deployed?

Is your SIR light on?

Does your state have an emission test?

I assume we are talking about Texas.......

Can't do this in Massachusetts......every option that originally was installed in the car, has to be in operating condition....also we do an emission test that involves scanning the vehicle for codes ......An SIR code would definitely show up.......

I tried to see what was involved in an inspection in Texas....found this:

Items of Inspection

Cracked Windshields
Seatbelts
Headlight Aim
Engine Swaps

Funny thing is, the horn is not listed....makes you wonder what other things are not listed....

One thing you better do, is inform your insurance company that you are driving without air bags......should you or a passenger get injured in an accident, and the insurance company finds out the vehicle doesn't have air bags(and they will know, because they can read the data from the SDM and know exactly when the bags were deployed), you could be in trouble with them.....also you may have trouble selling the vehicle because the buyer's insurance company may put restrictions/higher rate on the car...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
zRobx71
AF Newbie

rYea that's pretty short for inspections. We'll fight the insurance battle if it ever comes down to it but for now it'll be fine. Let's hope that I don't get in an accident shall we. I've already had an inspection while the airbags have been deployed so I know that I don't have to have them and the airbag light was on before I even messed with the SIR.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212

Your vehicle, your life, your well being. Whatever will happen will happen, but I hope that you have enough $$$ in your estate to cover whatever happens to you should you be in a wreck, because this isn't a cost that should be cast onto the community (i.e. government assistance as in 911/police/fire response or medical costs).

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
zRobx71
AF Newbie

I understand and it's my choice. Those organizations would be out of a job if they didn't have to provide emergency service. I don't really care how the government will handle my severe injury if the situation arises.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1997 , c1500 , grant , steering , wheel
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion