Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #1
dclay15
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1989 celebrity stalls

While driving my car it stalls when I come to a stop. I have to put car in nutural and rev engine to keep it running. Any suggestions on the cause?
dclay15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
celebritydriver
AF Newbie

Re: 1989 celebrity stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclay15
While driving my car it stalls when I come to a stop. I have to put car in nutural and rev engine to keep it running. Any suggestions on the cause?
That happened to my car and what that means is that it needs a new computer. Had to replace the one on my car twice. This is part of the recall that was announced on this model shortly after it was manufactured. Hope this helps.
celebritydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 AM   #3
dagauto
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclay15
While driving my car it stalls when I come to a stop. I have to put car in neutral and rev engine to keep it running. Any suggestions on the cause?
Does the car eventually run again after its cooled down a while?

If so, it sounds like the TCC Solenoid....(Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid) It's happened to all of the 6 Celebrities I've owned. A fairly easy and cheap fix. Get the part, about $30-40 from a GM dealer and you can install it by removing the driver-side front tire and splash shield.

Throttle Position Sensor is another possibility...again a cheap and easy fix.
dagauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
dan ramon
AF Newbie

i have a 94 cavalier and all i did was unplug it and it was fine,i didnt know how fast i was going cause the speedometer wont work with it unplugged but it runs fine,but like the other guy said its cheap 50.00 part only takes a few minutues.you can also reach down from the top of the motor and change it like i did if you can see it.a bad egr valve will make it react the same way when you stop it could be that also.
dan ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Since you have to rev the engine even though it's in neutral, I'm going to guess that it's most likely related to engine control rather than the torque converter.

My '90 once had a problem on the computer board that cause stalling. It would idle OK, but if you pressed the accelerator at all, the engine would stumble and stall. This turned out to be caused by a bad connection between the computer and the temperature sensor.

Of course the IAC (idle air control) would affect idleing performace, as would the EGR. In addition, the MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) and Mass Air flow sensor are potential culprits. Maybe you could put the engine in diagnostic mode to see if it is running lean or rich when it does this. Also, check your spark plugs for deposits. It could give you a clue as to where to look.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity