Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
trick tee
AF Newbie

Angry I need sum help

I need some help with my 1996 chevy caprice classic I was riding one day and the car was acting like it wasn't getting any fuel but I had a full tank so I put a new fuel filter and a brand new fuel pump in and the car will not start so I checked the relays and the fuel pump fuses and nothing so I had the tank took back down and put another fuel pump in it car still will not start so I got a test light and I check to make sure that was power going to the back connector that connects from the car to the tank it has power so now I'm lost wit this problem
trick tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: I need sum help

will need to check your fuel pressure in case your fuel pressure regulator is bad and also make sure you have spark to the plugs in case its not a fuel issue. 96 should have a obd II system so you might also be able to pull a code out if the computer sees anything wrong with sensors
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick tee View Post
I need some help with my 1996 chevy caprice classic I was riding one day and the car was acting like it wasn't getting any fuel but I had a full tank so I put a new fuel filter and a brand new fuel pump in and the car will not start so I checked the relays and the fuel pump fuses and nothing so I had the tank took back down and put another fuel pump in it car still will not start so I got a test light and I check to make sure that was power going to the back connector that connects from the car to the tank it has power so now I'm lost wit this problem
first with this problem before you buy any parts/do any work you test the fuel pressure. 41-47psi key on eng off. what may have happened since you did replace the fuel pump and you did have volts at the fuel pump connector the OPTI may have blown up. still however you must do the fuel pressure testing . then check for spark . any coolant or oil leaks at the OPTI will cause this type failure. Another component would be the OPTI venting hoses may not be connected and this too will kill it. If this is the failure then you must find a repair shop that has done this type work before on these LT1 engines if not then they will screw it all up.

One important thing , when troubleshooting these engine electrical failures get a volt/ohm meter.

TEST LIGHT IS GOOD FOR LIGHT BULBS......
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Check your ground wire for the fuel pump a common problem.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
trick tee
AF Newbie

I do not know what else to do I am at my wits end with this Chevy I am about to say fuk it and junk it I'm tired of spending money on it and nothing works I can't sell it or trade it I wish I knew wat the fuked is the problem is there a way I could wire that fuel pump so that it will work and not blow myself up or catch fire I've checked and tighten the fuelpump ground wire that's on the drivers side trunk hinge and it tight I've exchanged 4 fuelpumps I've changed relays and fuelpump fuses and still nothing ....the harness that is coming from the back by the lic plate outta the the 3,prongs only middle one lights up and its the purple wire no other has power even wen the key on and it stays on so am I missing something here wtf!!!!!!
trick tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I do not know what else to do I am at my wits end with this Chevy I am about to say fuk it and junk it I'm tired of spending money on it and nothing works I can't sell it or trade it I wish I knew wat the fuked is the problem is there a way I could wire that fuel pump so that it will work and not blow myself up or catch fire I've checked and tighten the fuelpump ground wire that's on the drivers side trunk hinge and it tight I've exchanged 4 fuelpumps I've changed relays and fuelpump fuses and still nothing ....the harness that is coming from the back by the lic plate outta the the 3,prongs only middle one lights up and its the purple wire no other has power even wen the key on and it stays on so am I missing something here wtf!!!!!!
if you have a phone call around and ask if the repair shop has some old guy that knows these vehicles. with the proper shop manual like helms/alldata and good electrical smarts this is all very easy job.......... even if you can not do this work , having the manual will help you find a shop that knows what this will take to fix.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

This is the fuel wiring diagram OEM :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996 FUEL PUMP RELAY CONTROL (2).jpg (86.0 KB, 4 views)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice