Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #16
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Re: Kit Review: Ferrari 599XX Super Detail-up Set from HobbyDesign in 1/24

Just got my kit...

None of my parts have bubbles and everything seems to be in good condition except one of the hood vents looks like it was short-shot in one of the corners so I will have to add some material.

The resin has a fragile feel to it upon a quick inspection....I'm hoping it's tougher than it seems.

These guys seem to be decent artisans, sans the wheels, but could use better resin materials and casting techniques.

The price is too high based on the origin of the kit.....if it had a full body, chassis, seats and correct wheel design it would be in range.

The stock 599 interior will have to be heavily modified and also the chassis to make a proper car.

This transkit gets you half way there....the rest is up to you.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Now for the good news....

I did some test fitting on a Revell 599 body and the fitment is just as good as on the Fujimi body.

If you have acquired the skills to make this conversion in it's intended form then you will have no problem making the minor adjustments to the Revell kit...and you'll save some money.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

Good to hear veyron!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #19
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoble View Post
..., but I read somewhere that Hobby Design photo etch is very thick. How do you find it in this set..??

Sorry of the late answer, very busy at the moment ;-)).

The etched parts are 0,15 and 0,25 mm thick.

@ all: Thanks for all your input !!

Looking again at the transkit, I noticed the the wheels seem to be too deep for the wheelwells, the front wheels would need a widening of the fenders to be covered.

Maybe this is a reason, that you never saw photos from Hobby Design themselves of finished models or WIPs with (f.e. primed models and) their etched parts at a model
Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #20
star21
AF Regular

just got in the FXX "Staubli" fuel filling port kit from Hobby Design (HD07-0047). looks like its a great fit for the 599xx. the added bonus is you can use the remaining 3 for future projects.
star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #21
auw12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to auw12

Nice review Micha~ there're some info i can share about this particular kit. the guy who did the master work of this kit(as well as all other recent HD kits) is quite a serious dude. The 599XX kit is the very kit he had put most of his efforts into, the working progress is really impressive. I dont have this kit but from this point i guess you can at least get a decent body. the wheels are just pieces of crap to me too, that's why i didnt buy the kit. they didn't have 3d engraving technique at that time so the wheels were made by their "traditional method" which is piling PE frets as they did to most of their wheels. So you can see the wheels were all flat, without any curves. As to the PE sets, well, if you're familiar enough with HD(or former CM) stuff you should know they always look good but not as good to work with. They didn't testfit all the parts before the new products hit the market, you get quite a big fret from them but at least you realized there're just very few of them that you actually used.
auw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #22
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for your input, auw12

Quote:
Originally Posted by auw12 View Post
They didn't testfit all the parts before the new products hit the market
Nearly unbelievable - is that the sense of "Quality" ?

Quote:
you get quite a big fret from them but at least you realized there're just very few of them that you actually used.

This is great for modelers, who think, the more p/e parts they use, the better the model gets
Old 12-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #23
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

I have played a bit last night, tried hot water method but didn't work until wheel number three
So spokes broke from the rim on first two with minimum bending and on wheel three I used almost boiling water but of course that warped the rim.
So I cut the spokes out and used rim from test number two, sanded a bit and this is result.
Not so good but closer then original one.
Let's hope someone will do it right or at least in white metal as you can play a bit more with it.
Some pictures

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #24
portalus
AF Newbie

Does anybody started this transkit?
I fight wit my a third day and the only thing that I finished is rear part of the body – rear luggage cover and rear bumper.
I have to corrected the curves (the cover was too flat) and my bumper had a deformation and was 1mm shorted as it should be.
The back just need a delicate corrections and I go to next step – whole front part of the body.
In my opinion this transkit need a lot of work and it isn’t for inexperienced modelers like a Gemballa transkit is (Geronimo Works).
portalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #25
360spider
AF Moderator

Molds deteriorate very rapidly with age, and I also noticed that a lot of Chinese manufacturers use resin that shrinks over time. That is why I always trying to get one of the first transkits from the mold to ensure clean copy. There is nothing I can do about resin shrinkage (which I believe is a problem here too).
Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #26
Veyron
AF Fanatic

About the time we all finish struggling with this fussy kit someone will for sure release a better one.

I have to have mine done for the ACME show 2010.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #27
star21
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by portalus View Post
Does anybody started this transkit?
I fight wit my a third day and the only thing that I finished is rear part of the body – rear luggage cover and rear bumper.
I have to corrected the curves (the cover was too flat) and my bumper had a deformation and was 1mm shorted as it should be.
The back just need a delicate corrections and I go to next step – whole front part of the body.
In my opinion this transkit need a lot of work and it isn’t for inexperienced modelers like a Gemballa transkit is (Geronimo Works).
Been working on mine off and on for the better part of December. The holiday season, plus other kits that are a bit simpler means this one doesn't get the complete attention it needs just yet. I've been banging my head just like everyone else though . I think we're all working on different parts at the same time. Maybe we can just throw all of ours together and actually complete one.

All kidding aside. I've cut out the rear bumper and trunklid section. I've also added in the center console piece in the interior.
star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #28
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
About the time we all finish struggling with this fussy kit someone will for sure release a better one.
Yeah...I still would like to think it would be Fujimi
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #29
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
Yeah...I still would like to think it would be Fujimi

The problem with Ferrari, as with many other brands, is they show cars too long before they are available to customers. The 599xx is not in the hands of anyone yet which makes it difficult for a model maker to commit to tooling up.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #30
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Nice review Micha~ there're some info i can share about this particular kit. the guy who did the master work of this kit(as well as all other recent HD kits) is quite a serious dude. The 599XX kit is the very kit he had put most of his efforts into, the working progress is really impressive. I dont have this kit but from this point i guess you can at least get a decent body. the wheels are just pieces of crap to me too, that's why i didnt buy the kit. they didn't have 3d engraving technique at that time so the wheels were made by their "traditional method" which is piling PE frets as they did to most of their wheels. So you can see the wheels were all flat, without any curves. As to the PE sets, well, if you're familiar enough with HD(or former CM) stuff you should know they always look good but not as good to work with. They didn't testfit all the parts before the new products hit the market, you get quite a big fret from them but at least you realized there're just very few of them that you actually used.
Wey wey buddy... great to see you're alive

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling