Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
scb
AF Newbie

What's your POWERSTROKE mpg?

I own an '01 F-250 3/4-ton 4x4 ext. cab w/ 7.3 POWERSTROKE diesel. I've been getting about 9.5 - 12 mpg, pulling a tandem-axle 12' enclosed trailer with tools, total weight = 3000 lbs.

Driving is mostly 35-55 mph rural/suburb. Light to average driving (no lead-foot).

Stock tires. "Tons of stump-pullin torque", so I'm not working it at all. Don't know what gear ratio is, but tach reads 2000-2050 rpms @ 70 mph highway speeds.

I'm thinking I should be getting higher mpg than this, but I'm very interested to hear from other POWERSTROKE owners with similar trucks. Please also note with and without pulling mpg, if applicable. Thanks.

If this is all the better I can expect, I'll sell it and buy the '02 Chevy with 6.0 liter that I really liked.....
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
pete54ford
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to pete54ford
Re: What's your POWERSTROKE mpg?

"If this is all the better I can expect, I'll sell it and buy the '02 Chevy with 6.0 liter that I really liked....." I just need to say...bite your tongue!!
Anyway, I got a neighbor who has the exact same thing you have...exactly!! And I thought I'd ask him what he gets, he told me he gets 15-18 mpg, depending on the stop and go traffic. He works in construction so he is constantly pulling a loaded trailer. But my advice to you is go buy your precious little Chevy, and I will honk at you in my Ford F150 when your on the side of the road broke down. And depending on my mood, I may be just nice enough to call you a tow....oh yeah, and dont be mad at me when your frame bends on your Chevy cause you pulled, or tried to pull, a heavy load, and please be kind enough to pull off to the side of the road while going up a hill so I can pass you because your Chevy cant handle the load!!! And last but not least, remember while forking out a bunch of money on repairs, do not be mad at pete54ford....because you have been warned. Have a nice day.
pete54ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
scb
AF Newbie

Question Re: Re: What's your POWERSTROKE mpg?

Thanks for the warning for someone who's just plain frustrated!!!
I'll be bringing it into a local diesel performance shop tomorrow to see if they can advise what to do.
The info on your neighbor's truck sounds very much like what I've been getting from other p-stroke owners (15-18mpg, even up to 22mpg).
I have no argument that the Ford handles the load better...as my '97 F150 4x4 w4.6 V-8 has done quite well for me in the past. Problem is since I started pulling the trailer, I'm asking quite a bit of a 1/2 ton truck with this small motor and 165k on it. That's one of the reasons I went with the 3/4 ton p-stroke, to make sure I had more truck than I needed. My only real beef is paying 5 grand more for the same mpg. It makes no sense why most of these diesels do great on fuel, and then there's ones like mine...anyway I'll see what the diesel tech can tell me and I'll post anything valuable to the forum..

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for more responses from POWERSTROKE owners.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
RAD1354
AF Newbie

Power Stroke Mileage

I have a 95 F350 (2wd), with the 7.3 power stroke. I average 20mpg without pulling a load, whether highway or city driving. It has 120k miles on it and the mpg has dropped a little since I bought it in 2000. I think the mpg is about normal, but you may want to have the fuel injectors cleaned (can't hurt). I add a quart of ATF (trans fluid) to a full tank of diesel every 3rd tank-full. It is supposed to clean the injectors and lubricate the fuel system etc... Don't know if this is true but I haven't had any problems with doing it.

Rick
RAD1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
pies
AF Regular

i have 2 f350's dually crew cabs with 6 litre diesel and auto transmissions. these trucks have been back to ford numerous times for fuel injectors and even had the computer reprogramed. they both get between 9 and 10 miles per gallon and have never got any better than that. it is pretty sad when i am getting almost the same fuel mileage with a volvo, series 60 and pulling 48 foot trailers.
pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
luvmybronco
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 F-350 dually ext. cab 4X4 w/4.10 gears. At 70 m.p.h. rpm's at 2350-2400...I pulled my Bronco on an open trailer (about 5000 lbs total) from Pontiac mich. (about 250 miles), got about 13.5 m.p.g. Thats with hypertech III set up for towing (stage 2)
Without towing I get about 15-17.5
luvmybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
ModMech
AF Enthusiast

We own over 30 units with the Power Stroke enigne, both 7.3L (from '94 to '03) and the new 6.0L.

The 7.3L engines typically get 14-16 MPG in city pick-up and delivery, light to medium loads, but stop and go driving (and they are in a HURRY). The 6.0s are about 1-2 MPG less, but offer WAY more power.

Now, our shop's service van weighs in around 13,000#, yup you read that right. It gets 12.5 MPG average for the year, and it does a LOT of ideling especially in the winter. Most of it's trips are under 5 miles as well.

Our salesman has a 2002 F-350 4X4 Crew cab w/ class V trailer tow package (gearing), he gets CONSISTANTLY 17-18 MPG empty, and 13-14 towing his race trailer filled with car and gear.

A co-worker has a 6.0L, he gets 14-15 empty, and 11-12 towing a 33' gooseneck loaded or empty. But, it GOES LIKE STINK.
ModMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #8
sump'n serious88'
AF Newbie

My buddy has an 98' F 350 crew cab 4 wd w/a7.3L powerstroke it is also sitting on 42" super swampers. He has a banks turbo on it with a bully dog 100hp chip. He gets avg. 24 on hwy and 20 in town. Pulling a 28' enclosed trailer full of tools and equipment and gets 18-19 mpg in town!!
sump'n serious88' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
wwwildman
AF Regular

2000 F-250, ext cab 2x4, 7.3 liter, 32,000 miles, and 3 stage adjustable power chip. I avg 21 mpg empty in stock mode, and 19.5 mpg in stage 1.
I haven't had it long so I can't tell you how it does on the other settings or while towing.
wwwildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
289mustang
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb
Thanks for the warning for someone who's just plain frustrated!!!
I'll be bringing it into a local diesel performance shop tomorrow to see if they can advise what to do.
The info on your neighbor's truck sounds very much like what I've been getting from other p-stroke owners (15-18mpg, even up to 22mpg).
I have no argument that the Ford handles the load better...as my '97 F150 4x4 w4.6 V-8 has done quite well for me in the past. Problem is since I started pulling the trailer, I'm asking quite a bit of a 1/2 ton truck with this small motor and 165k on it. That's one of the reasons I went with the 3/4 ton p-stroke, to make sure I had more truck than I needed. My only real beef is paying 5 grand more for the same mpg. It makes no sense why most of these diesels do great on fuel, and then there's ones like mine...anyway I'll see what the diesel tech can tell me and I'll post anything valuable to the forum..

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for more responses from POWERSTROKE owners.
Well, I'm not trying to knit pick, but you're comparing a 281 ci gas engine to a 444 ci turbo diesel. That's 163 more cubes of displacement! But you're right, your 7.3 sounds like it isn't getting what it should. My suggestion is keep it simple, check your air filter and replace your fuel filter if not done recently. Take it to a shop and have the professionals take a look at it. Just my $.02.
289mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
PRAIRIEOUTLAW
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete54ford
"If this is all the better I can expect, I'll sell it and buy the '02 Chevy with 6.0 liter that I really liked....." I just need to say...bite your tongue!!
Anyway, I got a neighbor who has the exact same thing you have...exactly!! And I thought I'd ask him what he gets, he told me he gets 15-18 mpg, depending on the stop and go traffic. He works in construction so he is constantly pulling a loaded trailer. But my advice to you is go buy your precious little Chevy, and I will honk at you in my Ford F150 when your on the side of the road broke down. And depending on my mood, I may be just nice enough to call you a tow....oh yeah, and dont be mad at me when your frame bends on your Chevy cause you pulled, or tried to pull, a heavy load, and please be kind enough to pull off to the side of the road while going up a hill so I can pass you because your Chevy cant handle the load!!! And last but not least, remember while forking out a bunch of money on repairs, do not be mad at pete54ford....because you have been warned. Have a nice day.
Dude that reply really sucks. No need bashing a chevy especially when you don't even own a truck in the same class as the duramax. I personally own an F-250 but I tell you what like it or not the chevy's have something the fords don't..... Its called an Allison Tranny. Anyway I just don't like people bashing other makes when every model has its advantages and disadvantages. Now about the fuel milage, Best way to get that 21+ mpg out of these engines is to lie about it. I hear so many people saying they get over 21 mpg and I just don't see it. Mine gets 15-16 mpg empty, and maybe 10 loaded with my 5th wheel. Not saying that some trucks out there might not do better cause I'm sure they do, but I think alot of people get the impression that just because its a diesel its gonna get really good fuel milage, and thats not always the case. Personally I think that they just handle the work so much better than a gasoline engine and thats why they are better for pulling. I've had both and I'd take the diesel any day over the gas burner for pulling.
PRAIRIEOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
scb
AF Newbie

Kind of an old thread but here's an update. Same truck is now a few years older, has 110k on the odometer and still going very strong. Over the last couple of years, I've had to make several 500 mile trips to my daughter's college and I've logged the mileage. Truck was loaded with her school stuf but not much weight and no trailer. First trip (stock everything including tires size) I got about 15 mpg. I retuned with a Superchips unit and got about 16.5 - 17. each trip has been slightly better, and the last trip was 19 mpg. Tank was filled right up to the top of the neck so I know I'm getting good readings. Don't know if it's made any difference with the trailer, but I'm liking the numbers a whole lot better.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Chaddd
AF Newbie

I relize this is old but I was wondering what you did to fix your 7.3. I've been through the same thing and no matter what I do I can't get out of the 11's empty in the city and 12's empty, and pulling a 1970 mustang on a dual axle car hauler. My dad has the same truck, and when I was driving that I was getting 16.7-17.3. Both are 2000 f-350 long bed crew cabs with ZF6 transmissions. and both have around 260,000 miles. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Chaddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
spoiler429
AF Newbie

My 95 F250 4X4 gets 16-17
spoiler429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
350vin
AF Newbie

new to the forum and have a 1995 f350 7.3 psd drw and doing 16 mpg in city driving on high way going near 20 mpg, so whats with the low 11 and 12 mpg,s

stay away from the 2000 revs and traffic light sprints

Last edited by 350vin; 04-27-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: km in stead of mpg.s
350vin is offline   Reply With Quote