Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: mysterious wire and won't fire

You don't happen to have one of those white ballast resistors bolted to the firewall, do you?
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #17
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontrlr View Post
engine turns over, after a few cranks if you will, engine fires. immediately dies as if cut off the minute it fires.
Can you keep it running by spraying short quick bursts of carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle body?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
You don't happen to have one of those white ballast resistors bolted to the firewall, do you?
who knows. what is a white ballast resistor? (in a 1989 van nothing is white anymore)

battery dead from me cranking over and over. currently charging so i will attempt to get it to continue to "run" with fluids/other in the AM when it is charged.
dragontrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

okay looked up the resistor on autozone, so i know what one looks like. have no idea where it would be but i looked under hood at every inch of firewall that i can see flashlight and all i see no part that looks like a rectangular ceramic box with two wires. additionally i searched under the dash on the drivers side thru all those wires and i see nothing there as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #20
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
i looked under hood at every inch of firewall
If it's not there on the firewall then you don't have one. I was just double checking to be sure.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

okay, start engine it catches i spray wd-40 it fires. i stop it goes back to just cranking. tried several times same thing everytime. also no backfiring anymore. did that code check thing it came back 12, 24, 55. i know 12 is battery, and 55 is end of codes. so it initially gets fuel, it has spark, it appears the wires are in the right spot, just starves itself during cranking.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
start engine it catches i spray wd-40 it fires.
Okay, don't do that anymore...WD-40 is an oil and you're risking damage to your catalytic converter by burning it. Only use carb cleaner or starting fluid.

Well at least we've established that the ignition is working and your problem is fuel delivery. Also, that code 24 indicates a problem with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). A problem with the TPS can effect fuel delivery. Were any of the three wires to the TPS also modified or cut in any way?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

yes as i stated earlier it appeared that the brown/tan stripe wire had been cut? and in the harness these two wires were twisted together and soldered.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
alloro
AF Enthusiast

There is no brown or tan wire going to the TPS. You should have an OR/DB, BK/LB, and a VT. The OR/DB is the signal wire, BK/LB is negative, and the VT is positive.

I find it odd that these twisted/soldered pair of wires are the same colors as the fuel injector wire that was tapped into.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
There is no brown or tan wire going to the TPS. You should have an OR/DB, BK/LB, and a VT. The OR/DB is the signal wire, BK/LB is negative, and the VT is positive.

I find it odd that these twisted/soldered pair of wires are the same colors as the fuel injector wire that was tapped into.
no the twisted wire is not the same color as the tan wire tapped into. the splice that bypasses the TPS is brown/white stripe. there is a plug in harness just above the TPS the brown/white wire comes out of here and is twisted into the wire in the main harness.

tps wires from front to back. black/bl stripe, green, brown/white stripe cut

top plug above TPS brown/white stripe spliced, orange/blue stripe black blue stripe
Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #26
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

so based on your colors the two plugs are in backwards or reversed. when i flip them the engine cranks better(races longer during crank) does not actually start and run, did however blow back flame thru the TBI
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

lost post. swapped wires to match your colors, engine finally did start, idle ran up for a second and then settled down. new codes are 12,13,42,55. have not put load on engine yet but when idle settles down idle is smooth and throttle is responsive.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
alloro
AF Enthusiast

So it's running all on it's own now?

That code 13 has to do with the MAP sensor which is probably the other plug you just swapped with. I would disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to clear out the codes, then run it and see if the codes return.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #29
dragontrlr
AF Newbie

yes for now it appears to be running all on its own now. like i said the idle jumps and takes a while to settle, and i have the check engine , maint req lights staying on permanently now which is new. i am going to pull it out of the garage and see if it works under a load and also to get the temp up. this whole project started because i had that crazy foaming coming out of the radiator if you will recall, so i need to see if we are all fixed up on that. as far as the 13 code. i didnt have that code when i had the wires hooked up backward and it is now the connector that had the cut wire. the good news is it starts and that much has been sorted out with your help, but i want to know what fool makes two of the same electrical connector and puts them right next to each other and doesnt color coordinate them so idiots like me can so easily hook them up backwards. why a black plug for a grey map sensor and a grey plug for a black TPS???? anyway enough of that frustration. could the mystery wire have bypassed something to prevent the maint light from coming on?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #30
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
could the mystery wire have bypassed something to prevent the maint light from coming on?
Unfortunately I don't know.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
body , firing , injector , order , throttle
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van