Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 10:10 PM   #1
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

The Calmini Bumper/Tire carrier

Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:16 PM   #2
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Youch! $895.00 But it is a total wrap around desgin for total protection! I better get my ARB Bullbar first!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:39 PM   #3
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

That looks nice!

A few points:
The recovery points do not look very strong.
They seem to look like the ARB high lift points, which were not recommended for recovery.
Why just a class 2 hitch?

rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:30 PM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Well it seems pretty functional.

I wish Calmini would pay more attention to matching the body lines of the Xterra. Both their front and rear bumpers stick out from the body of the truck. Probably good for protection, but they seem to have a "chunky" look to them.

Anyway. Good to see a new product.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:32 AM   #5
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

I hate to say it but...

...it's not as great as I was anticipating. From a quality standpoint it has it all over ours, but like others have noted, the tow rating is not great and the hook ups on the back look weak. Oh, and it has one of the small receivers...not unlike the ones you see on the Escapes and CRV's and such. Can you say wimpy? I'm guessing it just has flat frame inserts that only attach to the sides of the frame where the bumper attaches. if it only has a 3000lb tow capacity I would be concerned about using it as a tow point since a loaded Xterra weighs well over 4000 lbs. Also, I happen to like the cheap and easily replaced corner pieces rather than having the whole bumper to fix or replace if you back into something. I do like that it has a greasable pivot and better hardware in general.

You know Schlud, if you and I had all the tools and stuff, we could build a swing away bumper that would kick everyone's ass...especially after spending so much time analyzing and correcting the KMA shortfalls.

That is really nice finish work!
Old 07-04-2001, 12:43 AM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I agree Charles. I would have liked to see a middle bumper section replacement for $5-600. I would check out the frame attachment before buying one too.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:45 AM   #7
Snoopy
AF Regular

Unhappy My thoughts...

I've been waiting for a rear tire carrier solution ever since I saw my first Xterra but this seems to come a bit short of my expectations. Is there any way to keep the factory plastic pieces on the ends of the bumper (like KMA design). Would this knock the price down a bit? For me the solution is in Calmini craftmanship with the KMA design (using the exsisting plastic bumper ends).

Old 07-04-2001, 01:09 AM   #8
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
I agree Charles. I would have liked to see a middle bumper section replacement for $5-600. I would check out the frame attachment before buying one too.
Dude, once we get your KMA all finished, it will be way better than the Calmini, IMO. Sure it's going to cost as much and won't have the super pretty finish, but atleast we can expect yours to support the weight of your truck when towing from it. After all this wait, I'm disappointed it isn't more. Calmini should have paid us to help them design it! That's right, get help from people with bumper experience!

BTW, I also wonder if it has a heavy tube behind to brace everything? If not, then that explains the low tow rating and definately makes it a scary tow point.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:58 AM   #9
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
The bad aspect is I also am looking for a rear bumper but this is definitely not it. I don't like the wrap around at all. The smooth curves of the plastic bumper extensions are sharpened and made almost razor blade like. I would rather maintain the smooth lines I have become so accustomed to. I think part of the problem is CalMini is building this stuff with no input from owners who use their trucks. If anyone has some inside power, maybe that should be mentioned. I think if they would ask around or just surf the boards, they can hit a home run.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 12:23 PM   #10
Mosi
AF Regular

It took them a week to whip that up to give people an idea of the look. Like Ned and Ian said on the other BBs, it's not the final product. I'm sure with another week of tweaking, he can oblidge some requests.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:21 PM   #11
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

I'm disappointed....

Just for the record I basically agree with everything said above; I especially dislike the wrap-around style (like someone said on the unofficial board bending steel is expensive so why do it if most people don't want it?) & the "good enough for 90% of the time" recovery points.
It is, however, exciting that Calmini is still in the development process & hopefully they'll be open to critique from their market....

xterrabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 11:47 PM   #12
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
I kinda like it, I just wish it had:

less protruding corners and corner underbodies (for when you go through steep ditches and such, an aftermarket bumper should improver the departure angle.

a license plate holder?

better looking recovery points. they may be stout as hell, but it don't look the part.

The tire swingaway on the other side. When I want to get groceries out, and I am parallel parked, I want access to the curb, not the road. plus by mounting it on the left side, you can move the tire to the left, reducing the stress and allowing better visibility to that all important blind spot on the right rear. The hump should be where it mounts, it was designed that way to allow better visibility when you look behind you.

Class III hitch as many people have stated...... or.....

A winch mount bracket and fairlead mount. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Matt
Old 07-05-2001, 01:13 AM   #13
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham
...(for when you go through steep ditches and such, an aftermarket bumper should improver the departure angle.
That's a good point Mr. Peckham that I haven't yet seen raised....
As for the direction of tire swingout, some arguments against swinging out the other way: (1) you're swing out into the direction of oncoming traffic when parallel parked and (2) with the crown of most roads, you'll be swinging against a bit of gravitation force (imagine not swinging hard enough & going in to grab the groceries? yeah, that'd hurt a bit).
xterrabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 07:23 AM   #14
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
good points Xterrabull. I hadn't thought of the fact that you are almost always opening it with a little help from gravity, or at least it's not against you.

They designed the Discovery for england, and it's rear door swings the same way as this carrier, and they drive on the other side of the road, so it's always opening toward the road. I wonder if it will keep swinging 180 degrees, not just 90. Should be interesting.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:28 AM   #15
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Groceries? Please.

I have mine swinging open that way for one reason - so that the tire could be on the driver's side. Calmini really screwed up when they put it on the passenger's side.

My comments are pretty much the same as everyone else's (except Ian of course): good to see that someone else is working on X stuff, but that bumper isn't all that. I'll keep my KMA, thank you ...

Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote