Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 04:21 PM   #16
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Jens

I have a 4WheelParts about a mile from me....if you need to use your Gringo connection!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 05:52 PM   #17
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
Why is everyone so down on the use of a trailer hitch as a rear tow point? I installed my trailer hitch for two reasons. First as a tow point. It evenly distributes the force between both frame rails, its quick and easy to attach a strap to. Second to protect my bumper. I could careless if I drag the tow hitch across rocks on the trail, I'd rather not snag my bumper on large rocks. I've seen trailer hitches get caught on rocks as wide as the truck. If it wouldn't have been for the trailer hitch them bumper would have been damaged.

IMO, a trailer hitch is not only a tow point but protection for the bumper.

Just my 0.02
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 09:35 PM   #18
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Goliath the X
Why is everyone so down on the use of a trailer hitch as a rear tow point? I installed my trailer hitch for two reasons. First as a tow point. It evenly distributes the force between both frame rails, its quick and easy to attach a strap to. Second to protect my bumper. I could careless if I drag the tow hitch across rocks on the trail, I'd rather not snag my bumper on large rocks. I've seen trailer hitches get caught on rocks as wide as the truck. If it wouldn't have been for the trailer hitch them bumper would have been damaged.

IMO, a trailer hitch is not only a tow point but protection for the bumper.

Just my 0.02
I agree, the hitch is as strong or stronger than any tow hook and the weight will always be evenly distributed.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 09:47 PM   #19
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

I have an XE and put a tow hitch on it for trailering and getting pulled out. Ive used it for both and it works great!

Superjens, Scott.com - Im always crossin' the border so let me know when you want some hooks and Ill bring em up for ya - unless they are available in Canada. I bought my X in Wa. but it is a Canadian X and I have to buy that stuff too.

ozxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 11:02 PM   #20
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Re: ChuckH

Quote:
Originally posted by O1SalsaX
ChuckH, That is an awesome rear bumper setup. Where did you get that? How much? IMO it has a better fit than the KMA or others, and looks damn good. I like the two shackle points, and the swing away tire carrier is a great option too. If you can, please email me privately with prices and fabricator. I'd be interested in just the bumper without the Tire carrier for the time being, I'll build one later. wvh5150@optonline.net
Thanx
Ken
01SalsaX
Crap!!! I just spent 20 minutes replying to this and lost my connection when i hit "submit." Unfortunately, the AF board doesn't keep the text there when you back arrow, so I'm screwed. I don't feel like rewriting it right now, so I'll just suggest that you search the Exterior Mods forum and my Website for more information. Others are correct that it was a crappy KMA and I rebuilt it. I'm afriad it took me awhile to modify it and I don't have time to build others. I don't know who to send you to.

If I were buying one now I'd jsut get the Calmini probably. It's a nice bumper if you don't want the sliding tire mount, Jerry can mount, or Hi-Lift mount. The Calmini is basically for holding the tire and nothing else. Hope I don't sound rude in suggesting the search, but that really ticks me off when I type for 20 minutes and then it disappears. Maybe I'll write more tomorrow night?
Old 12-18-2001, 11:37 PM   #21
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Goliath the X
Why is everyone so down on the use of a trailer hitch as a rear tow point?
I don't think anyone doubts the strength of the trailer hitch as a good recovery point. It just KILLS the departure angle. I've been on the trail and been told on several occasions that the only things I had touching the ground were my two front tires and the trailer hitch. The bottom of the hitch has the scrapes to prove this. If you don't mind doing a little trenching when you four-wheel, the hitch does a great job for recovery Additionally, its free or cheap for most people, and useful if you have something to tow.
Chris_McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 01:07 AM   #22
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_McCracken
I don't think anyone doubts the strength of the trailer hitch as a good recovery point. It just KILLS the departure angle.
Tell me about it, in Moab Todd made a few 2.25 inch wide 6 inch long gouges in the slickrock, one was nearly a half inch deep. The rest of us made it through pretty good (the front of the other hand...).

As for damage to the bumper without the trailer hitch, I don't think its would be very easy to do. I have NO damage to my bumper, my exhaust has been Mosied into a flattened D shape, and my spare has a few rubmarks on the rubber of the tire, but thats it.

I fact I've never heard of anybody doing any damage to their bumpers due to departure angle.
Does anybody have pictures or a story of it happening?
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 08:58 AM   #23
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97

I fact I've never heard of anybody doing any damage to their bumpers due to departure angle.
Does anybody have pictures or a story of it happening?
Flying'S actually dented his bumper because of his hitch. As he was coming off a rock face his truck 's weight shifted causing it to pivot on the hitch and it dropped his downhill bumper side into a rock.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:13 AM   #24
superjens
AF Enthusiast

Well I think I have my answer -- no hitch, just tow hooks.

But I'm still wondering about that truck I saw with the rear bumper that had the two holes cut out with attachments to his frame.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:32 AM   #25
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
My rear bumper is bowed out about 3". A couple of good drags/slaps on the rear end will do it. The first time I seem to recall it got hung up on a rock and pulled it out an inch or so. The second time was when I finally got through this:

It was compltely optional, and I was pretty much expecting it. I couldn't be too dainty dropping in because I had to nose through a berm just ahead, so I ended up dropping the rear end in pretty hard and landed on the lip with my spare. Not sure how it would have turned out if I had the spare on the roof (my spare is a 32x11.50). If I still didn't have clearance, might have been worse.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 09:41 AM   #26
lemsip
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens
But I'm still wondering about that truck I saw with the rear bumper that had the two holes cut out with attachments to his frame.
http://www.apwired.com/gox2/2/source/dscn3161.html
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 10:59 AM   #27
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: ChuckH

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH

The Calmini is basically for holding the tire and nothing else.

It also has tow points. But considering that's all you get, it's damn expensive.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 11:01 AM   #28
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by lemsip

http://www.apwired.com/gox2/2/source/dscn3161.html

That is horrible. Talk about a shitty departure angle.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 11:41 AM   #29
superjens
AF Enthusiast

THAT'S exactly what I'm talking about. I haven't got a clue why the heck it sticks out so far, I can only imagine it would work better if it was flush with the bumper, or even recessed slightly. All you need is that clevis sticking out and you're golden.

So why's it so expensive? Dremel the holes in the bumper, weld some tubing to the frame, punch a hole for the clevis ... ? Of course I've never done anything remotely close to this kind of work, so I'm probably WAY out of the ballpark on this.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:46 PM   #30
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: ChuckH

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher

It also has tow points. But considering that's all you get, it's damn expensive.
OK, before this goes down the road way too traveled, let me clarify that I was only speaking of the tire carrier portion of the bumper. The Calmini has no good way to mount extra equipment on the back. That is fine for most people and would have been fine with me. I added more because I had to rebuild the damn KMA anyway so I figured I may as well pack a few extras on.

Also, considering how much money I spent turning my KMA into something good, I would have to say the Calmini is a great deal. Do I think they could have taken it a step further and built an even better bumper? Yes. Would I buy one now if I didn't already have the KMA? Yes. Even if I could choose between KMA and Calmini? Yes, I would buy the Calmini. It's a good solid bumper. Maybe not the way I would do it, but it's good. Actually, a joining of my modified KMA and a Calmini would make a perfect bumper. If I only had a shop!

Now, about those funky tow points on the Gold Xterra. I don't like them and here's why:

Each one is attached directly to a frame rail. The Frame rails on the Xterra are weak at the back. Pulling from one side of the truck on soemthing attached to the frame rail is kind of scary, IMO. If this guy has the two tow points connected together behind the bumper for reinforcement then I have to ask why he didn't just put one receiver in and hide it behind the license plate? I suspect he has no reinforcement on either receiver or he would have done that. The two tow points sticking out like that looks like hell and is not the ebst way to do it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail