Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
zakboxer
AF Newbie

Question front end noise on yukon denali

I recently purchased a 2002 Yukon Denali. I've noticed a whining sound from the front end when I'm at a steady speed. When I take my foot off the pedal, the sound stops. I had it in the dealership and they first thought it was the front drive shaft and replaced it. That didn't help at all, so they then told me it was due to the all wheel drive. Does anyone else have this problem, or do you have any ideas as to what is causing this?
zakboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
luisruiz
AF Newbie

Thumbs down front end noise

I have an Yukon 03 xl and have the same problem. I started noticing the noise when i had 17k miles. I have taken it to my dealership twice and they have not been able to help. I will be taking it to them once more and taking the technitian with me so that they can see what i am talking a about. Every time i tell them what is wrong, they look at me like if i have 3 eyes and they do not do anything. I notice the whining noise when my car goes above 15 mph. After that, i hear it every time i step on the gas. I even hear it when am going at 50 or 60. The other thing that i notice is that i also feel it in the steering wheel. Hard to explain. Will keep you posted.
luisruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
dxl04
AF Newbie

Angry Re: front end noise

i've the same problem on my 04 denali xl. according to my dealer, whom had contacted gm with this problem, they said that it's normal noise on the denali line. the noise is coming from the transmission. it's frustrating to hear that there's nothing that they can do to solve the problem especially for 50K vehicle. when i have my vehicle on cruise control though i don't hear the noise. do you notice the noise when you're in cruise control?
dxl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
bobandtoni
AF Newbie

YES YES YES Man, I'll tell you, I hate when a dealer tells you "It's Normal." It is definately related to what GM refers to as their AWD system. My sister in law's Z71 is dead smooth in standard 2wd until you engage the AWD. Then it feels just like the full time AWD Denali. I am convinced that the vibrations, clunking and noise is related to the transfer case, and front axle. I have to say, my previous Expedition had a seamless AWD. GM has a ways to go.
bobandtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:27 AM   #5
GMCTech
AF Enthusiast

Because your Denalis are full time AWD they will (and I hate to say this) have this noise.

It IS normal, and there are no fixes. Well, I guess you could replace the front axle with a standard 4WD Yukon axle and install a switc and have the computer replaced and............ You get the picture.

Unfortunately, the sound will stay, until GM engineers a differential with no gears in it.

We have replaced driveshafts, transfer cases and in one case an axle assembly to try to keep customers happy. All, by the way, with no fix to the "problem".

GMCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
pricetag
AF Newbie

Re: front end noise on yukon denali

I had the same problem with my denali. Had it repaired yesterday cost my 450.00. The carrier bearing in the front differntial where wearing out.I unscrewed my drain plug for the gear oil and it was swimming in metal. check the magnet on the end of the drain plug for metal. This was on a 01 denali with 65K miles. It want go away it will only get worst. Get it repaired before you have to replace the front ring & pinion
pricetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
bardorfm
AF Newbie

2004 Denali Whining noise

I own a 2004 Denali and have been experiencing the same problems as I have read here. My Yukon makes a whining noise when accelerating as well as when cruising at say 40 mph...once the truck has shifted into the final gear. I've taken ot to the dealer 4 times and they finally diagnosed it as an exhaust problem and what I'm hearing is actually air passing through the muffler system (didn't seem right to me). In any case, the dealer threw a set of dampers on the exhaust in front of the muffler. Well, it didn't stop the noise and now they want to put another set behind the muffler...at the recommendation of GMC customer service.

It seems to me that the dampers have killed my power a little bit, so I'm hesitant to add the second set.

Any thoughts to adding these dampers...sounds like it may not be an exhaust issue at all!

Thanks,

Mike
bardorfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
YukonDoIt
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 Denali Whining noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardorfm
I own a 2004 Denali and have been experiencing the same problems as I have read here. My Yukon makes a whining noise when accelerating as well as when cruising at say 40 mph...once the truck has shifted into the final gear. I've taken ot to the dealer 4 times and they finally diagnosed it as an exhaust problem and what I'm hearing is actually air passing through the muffler system (didn't seem right to me). In any case, the dealer threw a set of dampers on the exhaust in front of the muffler. Well, it didn't stop the noise and now they want to put another set behind the muffler...at the recommendation of GMC customer service.

It seems to me that the dampers have killed my power a little bit, so I'm hesitant to add the second set.

Any thoughts to adding these dampers...sounds like it may not be an exhaust issue at all!

Thanks,

Mike
Mike - Sounds like you're right - I've got 80K on my YukonXLD and one dealer kept saying "I don't hear anything". Well I've driven dozens of these trucks and I thought that it was the sealed axle hub bearing. I had just installed MIch LTX tires on it and the noise did not change. The tire dealer agreed to put Mich X-terrains on and that didn't help either. Finally got a good dealer to drive and truck and admit to hearing the noise. Then they put it up on the lift with a driver inthe truck and with the wheels turning (about 45MPH) off the ground, they stuck a sound probe (looks like a stethescope) on the transaxle and determined that it was coming from LR hub bearing and Differential. The left side Carrier bearing inside the differential failed due to excessive preload tension. When the pulled the drain plug, it was swimming in metal shavings. They replaced at least 4 bearings in the differential and now it's almost as quiet as my Cadillac Seville/Concours. Thank god for extended warranties.
YukonDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
ggardner
AF Newbie

My daughter has an 03 Denali that had the noise you describe. She tok it back to her dealer which is a friend of the family. They replaced the front differential under warrenty. It is quiet as a mouse now.
ggardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
ggardner
AF Newbie

My daughter has an 03 Denali that had the noise you describe. She took it back to the dealer (which is a friend of the family) and they replaced the front differential. It is as quiet as a mouse now.
ggardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
04YukonShuDog
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Yukon SLT with the All Wheel Drive like the Danli and have the same problem... Question: If we do not care to have 4WD, can I take out the shaft that goes to the front differential and get rid of the noise? Will that just cause other problems?

Thanks!
04YukonShuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
maxwedge
A990 racer

You are still turning the diff, this is not a permanant fix.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
laser201
AF Newbie

the front diff has one problem and that is there are four bolts holding it in place but only two are insulated the other two bolt metal to metal and after a while of running the carrier bearings loosen a little (normal) and start carrying the vibration through the frame. insulate the two outer bolts that go straight up into the frame from the diff housing. that usually works
laser201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
dzonen
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser201 View Post
the front diff has one problem and that is there are four bolts holding it in place but only two are insulated the other two bolt metal to metal and after a while of running the carrier bearings loosen a little (normal) and start carrying the vibration through the frame. insulate the two outer bolts that go straight up into the frame from the diff housing. that usually works
Has anyone else tried this and it worked? I recently bought an 04 Denali and have the same whining issue when driving at steady speed. No noise when accelerating or decelerating.
dzonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
jimdavenport2001
AF Newbie

I purchased a 2000 Yukon SLT a few months back and had this same issue. Took it to several shops and the dealer and all gave me different ideas of what they thought it might be. So I took it on myself to figure it out. Here is what I discovered. Noise and vibration only under load(pushing gas pedal) but when off load noise and vibration would stop. Everyone kept telling me it was drive train related but I did not think so. While under the truck, with the front splash shield removed I noticed the noise was coming from the A/C unit, checking further I noticed the A/C clutch had something sticking out of it and discovered it was the hard rubber surround, that had failed and broken loose. (see pic below) I temporarily unplugged the wire harness from the A/C and the noise and vibration was gone. Later that week I got a used part for $3.00 from a local yard replaced and been working great so far for the last 6 months no noise or vibration. FYI the A/C units always runs when you have the fan switched on, even on the heat setting. Was a really quick fix that everyone wanted from $300.00 to $3000.00 for so just an idea, hope it helps.

jimdavenport2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon