Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
garimusprime
AF Newbie

Unhappy 99 Suburban Seat Insides

I'm looking for a drivers seat for a 99 GMC Suburban/Pewter/grey leather. I broke the "insides" of the drivers seat leaning back on it one day. I have seen other seats with a different color out there that appear to be what i want - but how easy is it to change the "seat covers". Also - Can you replace the seat BACK without replacing the seat bottom? Are they seperate components. I've been searching for a replacement seat on EBAY, but all I see are the ones that have the seatbelt integrated into the seat. I need a seat that does NOT have the seatbelt integrated into it. Our seatbelts are attached to the frame. Dealer says the part is obsolete and it will cost me mega money (over 3k) to repair by purchasing replacement parts. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some knowledge.

Thanks so much
garimusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
edboyles
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Suburban Seat Insides

My 95 Burb had the same problem 4-5 years ago...... I removed the upholstery, had the frame welded/beefed up, re-installed upholstery and been going strong ever since......
edboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garimusprime View Post
I'm looking for a drivers seat for a 99 GMC Suburban/Pewter/grey leather. I broke the "insides" of the drivers seat leaning back on it one day. I have seen other seats with a different color out there that appear to be what i want - but how easy is it to change the "seat covers". Also - Can you replace the seat BACK without replacing the seat bottom? Are they seperate components. I've been searching for a replacement seat on EBAY, but all I see are the ones that have the seatbelt integrated into the seat. I need a seat that does NOT have the seatbelt integrated into it. Our seatbelts are attached to the frame. Dealer says the part is obsolete and it will cost me mega money (over 3k) to repair by purchasing replacement parts. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some knowledge.

Thanks so much

if you weigh over 280 lbs you must get this seat beefed up with welding steel angle iron over the existing steel ...seen this before,, these vehicles are not designed for big poeple ...in an accident you are at risk because of the seat strength...lacking...

color dye is used to alter color of leather seats ..this can be had at leather technologies in roanoke va....

removing the material is gonna be a little difficult ...must remove seat from vehicle first ...but can be done with time ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
garimusprime
AF Newbie

Yeah- I weigh over 280.. he he... somehow i had hoped to avoid that one... I have friends who can help me weld it back together. Jcat - when you say "removing the material can be difficult" - are you talking about the leather seat cover or is there more material than just the seat cover that needs to be removed. I'm sure the padding and all that is a part of it. Any idea What kind of time this sort of operation might take.. just wondering... Also - any idea of an order of doing things? Any idea where to get a diagram of the inside of it or is it pretty straight forward? I have also seen some "non leather" seats and wondered if it might be easier to purchase one of those on EBAY and just replace the covers. I see lots of those for sale on Ebay as well. I don't mind putting 3-400 in for the repair, but i'd prefer NOT to put much more than that if at all possible. Right now the rear seat being down allows me to drive it on short hops...

Last edited by garimusprime; 03-27-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typos and additiuonal questions
garimusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

see if you can get a complete seat at the scrap yard and swap the cover...or get new covers to put over the old if that bad...

auto shops may be in your area that do interior work like this...swaping the covers....

your weight over time causes cracks in the metal ...a used seat given the age of your vehicle would be a smart way to resolve this...

the auto makers should make stronger seats for the big guys ...should be an option ..

these vehicles may have not changed the seat structure so may be a newer model will fit ...the scrap yard guys should know.....
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
drivers , seat , seats , suburban
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban