Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
NOVAZ27
AF Regular

Intake manifold comparison

I have several edelbrock manifolds to chose from that i am considering for my "86" Silverado 305/4bbl with a 700r4 trans & 273 rear gear. #1 ia SP2P which is suppose to be great for lowend torque, @ low rpm. #2 manifold is edelbrock performer #2101. Both manifolds are non egr. dual plane,spreadbores. The truck is a daily driver, mostly hiway miles. The truck could use some more grunt on the highway especially on long grades. Needs help to keep it from downshifting so much.
I had an Edelbrick SP2P on a 72 Cheyenne/c20/350 several years ago. Seemed to help the torque level back then.
The way my present truck is configured, so highly geared, which manifold would be the best? SP2P? PERFORMER, Keep it stock?

THANKS for any comments.

NOVAZ27
NOVAZ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Intake manifold comparison

Both of those manifolds are very similar. I would stick to the SP2P. It has slightly smaller runners which would choke off at higher RPMs on a larger motor, but the cam and compression in that 86 305 are so small that they run out of breath at 4800 rpms anyway. Best to match the intake with the powerband of the rest of the engine.

Performer would have a power band of about 1000-6000 on a 305. The SP2P would be more like idle-5500. Most of the advertised powerbands are based on a 350 so you have to realize that the smaller motor will shift the powerbands up a bit.

I'd go with the SP2P. Good manifold back then, still good now.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
NOVAZ27
AF Regular

Re: Intake manifold comparison

Thanks for the quick reply. The sp2p is the manifold i was leaning towards. I just wanted some other input/s. My next quest is to open the exhaust up some on this truck. But that would have be on another thread.
Af has a wealth of knowledge.
So spread the wealth.

Novaz27
"06" GRANDPRIX GT

VEHICLES IN LIMBO
"69" NOVA SS
"72" CHEYENNE CUSTOM CAMPER
"80" CITATION
"85" SAFARI
NOVAZ27 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical