Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
MY88
AF Newbie

Quality of GM products

How many of you think GM just has the worst rattling, cheapest made, poorly built cars on the market?? Ever sat in a cavalier, S10, corvette, camaro, etc, etc.. and pushed on the interior pieces like the plastic dashboard, and door panel and hear them creak and move all around?? i cant stand that. From about 1990-2004 GM quality is just poor. The 2005 GM line is much better in quality though. Hmm, wonder why they killed off the camaro, S10, and cavalier?
MY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Quality of GM products

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY88
How many of you think GM just has the worst rattling, cheapest made, poorly built cars on the market?? Ever sat in a cavalier, S10, corvette, camaro, etc, etc.. and pushed on the interior pieces like the plastic dashboard, and door panel and hear them creak and move all around?? i cant stand that. From about 1990-2004 GM quality is just poor. The 2005 GM line is much better in quality though. Hmm, wonder why they killed off the camaro, S10, and cavalier?
Well I can agree with you that their interior quality wasn't ever no where near the the likes of other cars within their respective classes but, they did have some good cars. It would almost seem that GMs (for the most part) idea that, selling cars less expensive by cutting back on overall expense to make a more affordable car may not of been the best way of getting a good name out for themselves. Now since the market seems to be really leaning torwards better built cars on every level, the market grab has effected GM into drastically changing its approach. Hopfully in the years to come they can make themselves a name with a different meaning. Some of the new models (04'-05') have made some pretty dramatic changes that were desperately needed. Hopfully it only keeps getting better
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
chevydrummer76
AF Enthusiast

cheapest poorly built cars on the market? because you don't like their interior?

you drive an 88 towncar and you are saying Lt-1 and ls-1 camaros and vettes are crap......
chevydrummer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
ec437
AF Enthusiast

I'll go with the germans myself

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to camaroincal

You know, I have always stood up for my car, a 1997 Camaro coupe V6 5 speed. But, I have had so much go wrong with it. Admitedly, I drive it pretty hard, but I also keep it well maintained. I bought the car used with 73,000 miles back in 2001, and it now has just under 90,000 miles.

Here is a list of everything that has gone wrong. My sun visor fell into my lap when I flipped it down, My power steering pump has blown twice and my rack and pinion was blown once. My front door speakers are blown, I had a rear main seal leak, my drivers side power window quit working, I have an exhaust rattle, one of the heads on the engine cracked and the water pump gave out, my gas peddle broke on the freeway, the throttle linkage to be exact. The car runs a bit rough although I'm not sure it's just the nature of the V6. I may be forgetting something else.

As far as the interior being shit. It does the job, and I have the first year of the refined interior (1997) Overall, I love drving my car and I love how it looks, but in all honesty, I now know why these cars were discontinued. GM must have gotten so many complaints with these cars they just said fuck it and canned em'
camaroincal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
99onI95
AF Regular

I must agree GM cars suck when it comes to maintenance. I've spent $3,000 in repairs in the last 6 months and that was doing all the work myself.

You ask how the hell can he spend $3K? When you have to replace almost every engine component, fuel pump, the entire front brake system twice it gets expensive. By the way my ws6 rim just cracked there goes a few hundred more $$$'s.

As far as interior who really cares. If your girlfriend isn't satisfied with it get another one. Cause when your rolling in a GM sportscar the girls will beg to be with you I don't care if you look like Chris Mathews.

Over all my car is a pain, it's expensive, and really annoying when your rim is cracked and tire goes flat everyday. But I wouldn't trade it for ANY car on the highway.

I own or have owned:
98 Ram Air firebird-WS6 hood and rear decklid, WS6/C5 vette rims, etc.
03 SRT 4-3'' exhaust, short throw, injectors, matte black
E36 convertible BMW-05 17'' BMW wheels
02 Volvo S60 AWD turbo-Stock
00 Audi A6 4.2L V8 Quattro-Potenzas, straight pipes
03 C240 Benz 4matic-stock
04 2.5rs Impreza
05 Chrysler 300C HEMI
04 GSXR-Power commander, K&N, gears, crash cage, suspension, LED tail
99onI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
chevydrummer76
AF Enthusiast

The only problem i've had with my truck is a oil pan leak and a small lifter tick which i'm taking care of. Besides that this truck is bullet proof.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #8
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Re: Quality of GM products

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydrummer76
The only problem i've had with my truck is a oil pan leak and a small lifter tick which i'm taking care of. Besides that this truck is bullet proof.
I'd bet you wouldn't use the words "bullet proof" if you also owned a toyota, bmw, nissan, or anything else.

I currently own three GMs, two of which are chevys. I bought them for their style, my familiarity with them, and because I'm a mechanic. Certainly NOT for their reliability.

In total I've owned five chevys and 9 GMs, and I agree with the statement. Chevy is one of the crappiest quality vehicles on the market. I must qualify that statement, though. Since 98, they have been better, but since I have no direct experience with them, I can't say where they fit in to the whole scheme anymore.

The only interior I've found worse than chevy is Dodge. Every time I get in one I just have to laugh at the un realistic grain they try to put on the cheap plastic dash pieces. They look so incredibly crappy, and the dashes squeak, rattle, and shake.

I thought it was funny at the L.A. Auto Show my friend and I sat in an SSR. He was fiddling with the climate buttons and TWO FELL OFF! The doors were misaligned, the hood was wavy and poorly painted, and the body wasn't on straight. I could fit a hand between the right rear tire and the fender, but the other side I could only fit three fingers. My Impala SS is the same way.

Chevydrummer, I fully respect your opinion and I don't intend any flames, but the older trucks are incredibly simple and make reliable packages. (sweet truck, by the way.) Often times the reliability of the trucks (since they lacked extraneous options) boils down to quality engine assmebly and metallurgy/design of mechanical parts. In that aspect, few have topped the germans and japanese in those areas. For their era, your generation of chevy trucks was very reliable and usually gave 100k miles of fairly reliable stock performance, but compression suffers with the poorer metallurgy and older technology after that point depending on assembly, shift, and driving style.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Chevys, but hardly call them reliable by today's standards. I also agree with what you brought up about the 88 town car. Of all the cars to compare for reliability. That year of town car ranks right up there with the Triumph Spitfire.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
chevydrummer76
AF Enthusiast

This truck does not have the original low compression engine in it. It has a pro rebuilt 350 4 bolt with an rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake, and the original transmission which has been rebuilt w/ a shift kit.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

Oh man, the new GM cars are great. Reliable quality vehicles. I know many don't think so. Drive a NEW GM model, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

gonenuts15792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:02 AM   #11
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Quality of GM products

This statement from a few posts up says other wise.....

Quote:
I thought it was funny at the L.A. Auto Show my friend and I sat in an SSR. He was fiddling with the climate buttons and TWO FELL OFF! The doors were misaligned, the hood was wavy and poorly painted, and the body wasn't on straight. I could fit a hand between the right rear tire and the fender, but the other side I could only fit three fingers. My Impala SS is the same way.

What about all those quality control issues that are supposed to be dogging the Cobalt?

New GM's are improved over those of old, that's why they are scoring highly in the JD Power surveys, because thier new GM vehicle isn't falling to bits as fast as thier old one, doesn't mean that they are up to the level of Nissan, Toyota, Honda or BMW yet.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #12
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792
Re: Re: Re: Quality of GM products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster

What about all those quality control issues that are supposed to be dogging the Cobalt?

New GM's are improved over those of old, that's why they are scoring highly in the JD Power surveys, because thier new GM vehicle isn't falling to bits as fast as thier old one, doesn't mean that they are up to the level of Nissan, Toyota, Honda or BMW yet.

I figured you would reply to this saying you're an Asshole towards me and GM.

Any fucking vehicle has problems when first coming out of production. Next, none of those problems with the Cobalt have been confirmed. The only thread I've seen was started by a son of a trucker. Thats says a lot for the reliability of the information.

Also, its funny that Buick, and Cadillac are right up on top and have beaten Nissan, Toyota, and Honda in quality. Hate to burst your bubble jackass.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:09 AM   #13
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Oh that thing about the SSR, thats simply over exxagerated. No fucking automaker would let a vehicle like that be on display, and I've never seen a vehicle that bad off. Hes full of shit, sorry to say.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 AM   #14
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: Quality of GM products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster

This is true for the most part. I honestly think the Cobalt will be a good car (especially the SS). Of coarse they are playing ball in a very tough crowd, but seeing how their cars were in the past, things can only get better. Yet is the keyword (hopfully ). Hypothetically speaking......how would everybody react if newer lines of GM cars were actually outscoring their competition? IMO I would have to read it at least a dozen times over again and punch myself a few times just to check and see if I was hallucinating.
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 AM   #15
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Re: Re: Quality of GM products

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonenuts19572
I figured you would reply to this saying you're an Asshole towards me and GM.

Any fucking vehicle has problems when first coming out of production. Next, none of those problems with the Cobalt have been confirmed. The only thread I've seen was started by a son of a trucker. Thats says a lot for the reliability of the information.

Also, its funny that Buick, and Cadillac are right up on top and have beaten Nissan, Toyota, and Honda in quality. Hate to burst your bubble jackass.
Do me a favour and drop the attitude, did you even READ what I what I wrote about the quality survey? It measures peoples satisfaction against what they EXPECTED, people are happy because thier CTS' transmission isn't breaking or the electric haven't gone catastrophic, like it did in thier last DeVille or Seville, or whatever it was they had, doesn't mean that things haven't gone wrong, just means less went wrong than they expected. If someone buys a BMW or an Infiniti and a small niggle develops, they are more pissed off because they were expecting better from a distinguished brand.

As for the SSR thing, I give curtis73 a hell of a lot more rcredibility than I do to you (Your GM can do no wrong attitude is silly)

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General