Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
D_Street
AF Newbie

Question Sand Rail w/ mr2 engine build

Hello all,

I'm looknig for a few people who dont mind taking the time to answer a few questions for me. I figure, a community of 662k + people, i should be able to get some help.. unlike some other sites/places i've called.

From the title, you can guess.. I want to build a sand rail/dune buggy.
But, more specifically, I want to make this baby street legal, and it be more than a sunday driver. There are so many complications with coming into an automotive scene without really knowing anything... I mean, my father owns a supra, we've worked on it, we've raced it(track), etc. I knew more about what was in my own sh*t than what went into a sand rail.. a few days ago.

Now, I know what a transaxle is xD

And with that, came the problem of WHAT engine to bolt up to WHAT transaxle. The way I was told, they generally use VW tranny's and if you are using a different engine, say an rx7 rotary, you're bolting up an adapter plate. TO forgo the retarded costs, confusion, and searching, i figured the next best alternative... its a <1000 pound vehicle, i know.. but im looking at making -some- power. can't stand the idea of a little 50 hp engine... so i thought porsche, with a 5 speed... yeah no. not spending that much..

And the conversions, or rather, just a "Race" transmission to handle something that actually goes faster than my cavalier... i need to buy a 6500 dollar mendeola transaxle. Greedy greedy people.

THe only other alternative, as a friend in Mississippi explained, was to find a mid/rear engine and transaxle and just adapt the mounts and figure the shifter and linkage....

I'm a jap engine guy. just what we always had to work with. hell,when i was 11 i tore apart a nissan RB we salvaged and we sole the parts. First experience with cam shafts ^_^

Anywho.. to shorten this message up.. i can play with an MR2 engine.. wont be hard for me. but like my friend said, i need to get it mounted, then figure the shifter and linkage. How do i go about doing shifter and linkage?

Also, if anyone has the time, can you add anything im missing to this list?
Chassis
engine
transaxle
rear and front wheels
axles
steering
gas, brake, clutch
seats
front brakes
all running lights required to be street legal
windshield
floor pan
wiring for all necessary components
battery
ignition(see below)
exhaust

..oh.. and, idk how difficult this part would be, but, since itd be a street car, meaning i go places.. i dont want a push button starter.. never liked that to begin with. how would i get a... i guess you call it a turnkey ignition.. you know.. putting a key in and starting it? xD

How difficult would that be?

thanks.. whoever takes the time to help me out
D_Street is offline   Reply With Quote