Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:45 AM   #1
searchlight4759
AF Newbie

Shakes for a Second but does not Stall - 1997 Sable

I have a 1997 Sable with the 3.0l Vulcan which now has 101k miles. I bought it used with 98k.

Occasionally, when I start the car, the motor feels like it is shaking and sounds like it is about to stall but never does. When I hear this event, I press the accelerator for a second or two, and the event disappears. I have had this problem since I bought the car.

I have replaced the spark plugs with Motorcraft Platinum, the spark plug wires, the ignition coil, the IAC, the Alternator, the Battery, the Fuel Filter, the PCV Valve, and used Dry Gas and Techron Fuel System Cleaner but can never seem to eliminate this occasional problem. I even changed the Fuel Pump Fuse. My mechanic replaced the CAM Position Sensor.

The car runs very smoothly after starting, and accelerates without hesitation or misfire. I have changed all the fluids, and have no leaks. Moreover, the car has been reliable and comfortable to drive.

A friend of mine suggested it is bad gas. I admit, I did fill up at a Delta gas station a few times. Since then, I have been filling up with BP, Shell or Exxon Regular 87 Octane.

I even tried two bottles of Gumout Octane Booster which seemed to smooth out the starting issue but am not sure.

I was wondering whether the new spark plugs I installed, or the fact that the car now has 101k miles has now increased the need for higher octane.

Like I said, this problem is intermittent.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
searchlight4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Shakes for a Second but does not Stall - 1997 Sable

Cars don't need higher octane because of mileage. I have an 85 Volvo running 87 octane. Maybe throttle body cleaning. No clue about the platinum. Every car I have owned I've run what the owners manual calls for.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
searchlight4759
AF Newbie

Re: Shakes for a Second but does not Stall - 1997 Sable

I spray cleaned the throttle body, and am going to replace the TPS. Some articles that I read on the web suggest that this may be on the verge of going bad, and may be the cause of my problem.
searchlight4759 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable